Owners, who changes your oil?

• Me

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • The A&P

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Don't fly enough, get's done at annual

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
...The turning axis on my IO-540 filters is horizontal. So I cut open one of the plastic quart oil containers lengthwise and I slip it under the filter, up tight against the engine, before I spin the filter off. It catches ALL the drips and keeps everything below clean. I used to pack that area with old rags or shop towel to catch the dripping oil, but I could never seem to get those out of there without some from ending up down the back of the motor.

using that method, do you slip some kind of tubing over the open oil qt and drain into a pan or can u just leave the cap on the cut qt of oil and its roomy enough to capture anything that spills out?

I'm kind of lucky. My A&P doesn't charge me extra when I "assist" him. Which I know is polite talk for "be a nuisance."

It's scary enough being in a plane I'm flying. Heaping on me doing the maintenance? forgetaboutit!

using that method, do you slip some kind of tubing over the open oil qt and drain into a pan or can u just leave the cap on the cut qt of oil and its roomy enough to capture anything that spills out?

I leave the cap on. It sits with a slight slope toward the cap end and has enough capacity to catch it all, as long as I tip the filter up as soon as it spins off the housing, and don't let it dump in there.

I'll take a picture of my contraption next time I am out at the hangar and post it on this thread.

I leave the cap on. It sits with a slight slope toward the cap end and has enough capacity to catch it all, as long as I tip the filter up as soon as it spins off the housing, and don't let it dump in there.

I'll take a picture of my contraption next time I am out at the hangar and post it on this thread.

I was planning on doing the cut quart of oil thang as well, just wasn't sure if I was gonna attempt to drain it or leave it capped. thanks!

I know a few folks who swear by the form-a-funnel for changing the filter on a 172/182. But I've had very good luck with simply slipping a gallon sized ziplock freezer bag over the filter. I loosen it and then put the bag over it once it can be spun by hand but before the seal breaks.

Form-A-Funnel:

F6562532-2B07-4CE0-9BDC-99B48EB05D46.jpeg

I don't have room for a catch basin under the filter, or even the form-a-funnel. I use a piece of drywall corner bead as a gutter to route it to someplace that I can place a catch basin. Works for me.

NewPaperFacedCB.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of that hangar floor, how slick is that if you spill oil on it? When I was stationed at Kadena Air Base (Okinawa Japan) they came in and put epoxy down over the concrete floor which made it slicker than owl shirt. I hated that floor.

But Kevin, you and your friends could always strike up a rousing game of chess or checkers on it I guess.

I like it too, it just looks like it could be slick if something spilled on it.

Thanks Tim. I think I might have mentioned it before but if not, I didn't put the floor in the hangar. We bought it from the bank that foreclosed on it that way. They are individual tiles and I can only imagine how long that would have taken to do. That said, I like it as well...kind of unique and people drive by and give compliments on it. To your question, it's surprisingly not very slick. The tile has some abrasive to it and it makes water/oil spills about the same as on concrete. I sweep and mop yearly and that's about it. My only complaint is it stains but hey, it's a hangar floor so the tire stains give it character.

I hadn't thought of the chess/checkers option. We'll have to attempt that one day. :)

Hey @Radar Contact and @Timbeck2, do you mofos see me trying to do ATC?! No! I leave that to the pros. I suggest you do the same with maintenance. Damn wannabes!!
I assure you, I leave the real maintenance to the pros. :) I can change oil, safety wire, change/gap spark plugs, cut and inspect filters with the best of them. Outside of that, it's off to the shop! I wish I had more time because I would love to get my A&P but no way that's happening till retirement...if then. For now I will stick to telling pilots where to go.

oil, filter, DC-4 unless you're using a filter that doesn't require lubrication prior to install, safety wire and pliers, torque wrench with 1" socket, drain bucket, length of hose to attach to the quick drain, rags, funnel and assorted curse words.

And a filter cutter...

The only thing I add to my list is crush washers for the drain bolt and a small diameter magnet that I run through the filter after cutting and pulling it out...either my magnet isn't working or I'm lucky for now. :)

Last edited:
Drain bolt Kevin? Brother, step into the 21st century and install some quick drains. No more crush washers and a lot cleaner oil change and they're not that expensive for a one time deal.

Caveat: I've never changed the oil on a 310 yet and I've never seen an IO-470 (assuming that's your engine) so I may be talkin' out my arse...but I don't think so.

I assure you, I leave the real maintenance to the pros. :) I can change oil, safety wire, change/gap spark plugs, cut and inspect filters with the best of them. Outside of that, it's off to the shop! I wish I had more time because I would love to get my A&P but no way that's happening till retirement...if then. For now I will stick to telling pilots where to go.

I hear ya. I've been telling pilots where to go for almost 26 years (14 for the AF and 12 for the DoD) and although my plan is to give it another 3 before I retire again, I'm not sure my patience with the new trainees is going to hold out. They seem to be getting dumber and dumber. I'm one of those guys that has to be doing something, so getting my A&P before I retire is my goal. I work every Saturday with an A&P and another guy in my situation who is ahead of me in the hours to sit for the test. Our goal is to form our own maintenance shop someday.

My cowl 'remove and replace" is a 2 person job, so my A&P helps in my hangar. Usually costs me $70 for 2 hours of his time. Just pay cash for easy work.

I fly a lot, so there is always some issue I see or he finds and it's resolved right there. Also get a log entry from an A&P.

Kind of nice when someday I sell the plane to always to have had an A&P log entry for oil changes with a statement of no metal observed in filter and firewall forward appeared normal following visual inspection & run-up.

Drain bolt Kevin? Brother, step into the 21st century and install some quick drains. No more crush washers and a lot cleaner oil change and they're not that expensive for a one time deal.

Caveat: I've never changed the oil on a 310 yet and I've never seen an IO-470 (assuming that's your engine) so I may be talkin' out my arse...but I don't think so.
I hear you. I helped my dad install one on his 172 years ago. They are 470's but the drain hole is so close to the bottom of the cowl I haven't found one that will fit. If I ever do, it's going on!

There's a floor there???? Who looks at the floor when there is a plane like that there. Your priorities are messed up sir.

It’s an escalating scale, When his plane is in the hangar, no one notices the floor. When his wife is in the hangar, no one notices the plane...

I hear you. I helped my dad install one on his 172 years ago. They are 470's but the drain hole is so close to the bottom of the cowl I haven't found one that will fit. If I ever do, it's going on!

I know the clearance you are talking about. Have a pair of these on a 1966 310K, work great.

https://bogertaviation.com/collecti...-engine-oil-quick-drain-stc-sa4024nm-complete

edit: looks like they are a bit cheaper thru Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/quickdrain.php

Here's a few pics of the contraption including one showing it in place. The plastic on these bottles is quite thin so the lip on the end flexes and fits up tight under the filter and no oil gets past it as I change the filters.

AO1.JPG AO2.JPG AO3.JPG AO4.JPG

I have the A&P do it,the oil filter poses too much of a problem,always did it myself till this airplane.

So far, I've done all my own oil changes. It just pains me to pay someone to do something that I can do myself.

I hear ya. I've been telling pilots where to go for almost 26 years (14 for the AF and 12 for the DoD) and although my plan is to give it another 3 before I retire again, I'm not sure my patience with the new trainees is going to hold out. They seem to be getting dumber and dumber. I'm one of those guys that has to be doing something, so getting my A&P before I retire is my goal. I work every Saturday with an A&P and another guy in my situation who is ahead of me in the hours to sit for the test. Our goal is to form our own maintenance shop someday.
Good luck on your retirement plan Tim. Sounds like a fun idea and if I was in your area I'd be your first customer. I'm only going on 18 years controlling and I can see it losing it's luster. Staffing, the schedule, training, etc. It's an amazing/rewarding career but I believe it takes it's toll long term. I suppose there are a lot of jobs that are the similar in some ways. Looking forward to just flying, hunting, fishing, snowboarding and golfing. :)
I know the clearance you are talking about. Have a pair of these on a 1966 310K, work great.

https://bogertaviation.com/collecti...-engine-oil-quick-drain-stc-sa4024nm-complete

edit: looks like they are a bit cheaper thru Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/quickdrain.php
Awesome! You just added more to my airplane upgrades. Thank you...I think :)

Kevin, I will add that it isn't just the trainees, the constant revolving schedule that controllers must work takes it's toll on your body - especially when that body isn't getting any younger. I was going to suggest those Bogart quick drains as well as we just installed one on a turbo 210 with limited clearance but as I said, I don't know the 310 at all...yet.

Oil change time for me. I've always enjoyed changing my own oil. I send off samples to Blackstone and cut the filters to inspect/run a magnet. Gives me a chance to remove the cowls and look everything over. Just curious what most the other owners around here do.

View attachment 65865

If I owned your 310, I would change my own oil too, just so I could hang out looking at my plane. :D

Back