Oil change intervals

beechcraft flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
beech pilot
Hello i fly a bonanza with an IO 550 i usually fly 40 hrs a year and get the oil changed at the annual with an oil analysis done as well. My annual is due end of August and i am 7 hrs shy of 50 hrs since last annual, Question is should i wait till the annual for the oil change or get it done now? i plan on flying at least 20-25 hrs over the next 3 months thanks in advance

Oil needs to be changed on both based on operating hours and on calendar time. The second is important for engines that are not run a lot, like yours. I would change the oil at a maximum of 6 months, no matter how few hours. I might forgo cutting the filter until 50 hours.

Hello i fly a bonanza with an IO 550 i usually fly 40 hrs a year and get the oil changed at the annual with an oil analysis done as well. My annual is due end of August and i am 7 hrs shy of 50 hrs since last annual, Question is should i wait till the annual for the oil change or get it done now? i plan on flying at least 20-25 hrs over the next 3 months thanks in advance
I'd fly it to 50 hrs and then change the oil and filter.
If that is not convenient then do it now.
And don't let them change it again at annual unless you flew 50 more hrs between now and annual time.

Change it, don’t wait til the annual.

Note that pulling filter/ screen is part on an Annual Inspection so expect it to be

done then.

That engine is $$ so changing in advance is not a waste.

If you diy just dump oil and refill.

The 50 hrs is not a magic number .

Frequency and type of flights also play a role.

Modern cars crank this in also.

And don't let them change it again at annual unless you flew 50 more hrs between now and annual time.

I hear this assertion regularly. I don’t see how one would expect a mechanic to sign off on an annual inspection on an aircraft when even the most basic inspection requirements require determining engine health and call out checking the oil screens specifically.

In other words, don’t be surprised if an IA says the screens need to be checked at annual time even if the oil was just changed, requiring the oil to be dumped.

I often change my oil before annual, when the interval comes up. It’s also something I can easily do, yes the slight $$ savings factors in.

I save my most recent filter, they like to cut one at annual. So unless there’s a reason, they usually don’t touch the oil or filter on the plane.

You have to put this on your ‘squawk sheet’ don’t expect them to remember a verbal request.

I often change my oil before annual, when the interval comes up. It’s also something I can easily do, yes the slight $$ savings factors in.

I save my most recent filter, they like to cut one at annual. So unless there’s a reason, they usually don’t touch the oil or filter on the plane.

You have to put this on your ‘squawk sheet’ don’t expect them to remember a verbal request.
You can change the filter without draining the oil

Some engines have accessible:

Suction Screen

Pressure Screen / Filter

Both or none.

These should be checked at inspection per FAR 43.

Nonte “Franklins” I drain oil though a paint strainer .

Good idea for others too.

My oil looks pretty bad by about 35 to 40 hours. By 45 to 50 it looks awful. I change at convenient times around 35 to 40 hours.

My oil looks pretty bad by about 35 to 40 hours. By 45 to 50 it looks awful. I change at convenient times around 35 to 40 hours.
I assume by "bad" you mean dark, perhaps black.
Had a differential compression test recently? Although 35 hours to dark oil is not too bad, it could indicate compression ring blowby or a coked up oil scraper ring.

Towards the end of its 3000 hour life, my last O-320 would blacken the oil within 20 hours.

Oil needs to be changed on both based on operating hours and on calendar time. The second is important for engines that are not run a lot, like yours. I would change the oil at a maximum of 6 months, no matter how few hours. ...
Section 5-3 of the Lycoming operator's manual says to change the oil at 50 hours or 4 months, whichever happens first. In their words, "not to exceed four (4) months between oil changes".

Since I fly every week, I feel comfortable stretching that to 6 months, but no longer.

Technically, few of us should even have to look at the number of hours. Like Pinecone says, most of us get to the calendar time before the hours.

“Lycoming's service letter stresses the four months oil change interval is more important than the number of hours. The main lubricant-related failures come from rust and corrosion on camshafts and lifters.”

... "Lycoming's service letter stresses the four months oil change interval is more important than the number of hours. The main lubricant-related failures come from rust and corrosion on camshafts and lifters.”
True, though IMO if you fly consistently a couple of hours a week then you are keeping water out of the oil, and a thin film of protective oil on the cam, and can stretch that to 6 months. Especially if you use Camguard. That said, I would not stretch it more than 6 months no matter how regularly it is flown.

Back