Oil change interval

Big Bird

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Big Bird
What consequences might happen if I let an oil and filter change interval slip ten hours? 60 rather than 50 hours? All cross country time. I'm stuck in PHX til Monday, waiting for a mechanic. I'm 6 hours from home base. Thanks

BB

Big Bird said:
What consequences might happen if I let an oil and filter change interval slip ten hours?

Nothing will happen

60 rather than 50 hours? All cross country time. I'm stuck in PHX til Monday, waiting for a mechanic. I'm 6 hours from home base. Thanks

BB

Fly it home.

After having the same problem a few times I have set my oil change to 40 hours. Changing oil ten hours early certainly won't hurt even theough it may not help, I can run against a flurry of flying when the time runs out and not be in this dilemma.

Kinda like setting your clock ten minutes ahead ;-).

Big Bird said:
What consequences might happen if I let an oil and filter change interval slip ten hours? 60 rather than 50 hours? All cross country time. I'm stuck in PHX til Monday, waiting for a mechanic. I'm 6 hours from home base. Thanks

BB

Pull the cowl, get a filter and open up the case of oil you are carrying in the back of the plane, and change it. You are carrying an extra filter and oil on a long cross country aren't you?

Big Bird said:
What consequences might happen if I let an oil and filter change interval slip ten hours? 60 rather than 50 hours? All cross country time. I'm stuck in PHX til Monday, waiting for a mechanic. I'm 6 hours from home base. Thanks BB
And the rest of the story?

Why are you waiting for a mechanic?

However to answer your question, fly it home. I wouldn't make it a habit to extend the oil change. Maybe start planning to do it at 45 hours to give yourself some leeway?

Danno

Big Bird said:
What consequences might happen if I let an oil and filter change interval slip ten hours? 60 rather than 50 hours? All cross country time. I'm stuck in PHX til Monday, waiting for a mechanic. I'm 6 hours from home base. Thankst.

Fly home. Just like short trips and stop & go traffic in the car are harder on the oil than long trips on the freeway, 6 hours of cross country flying won't tax the oil like 6 hours of pattern work. BTW is that 60 hours on the tach, or Hobbs time. The 50 hour recommended oil change interval is based on flight time and Hobbs time is likely to include an extra 10% over flight time anyway (tach is closer to flight time in many cases).

If you're really concerned about exceeding the 50, just change it 6 hours early on the next cycle to even it ou

There is some thing we all forgot to ask. Is this engine acceptable to the Snake Oil AD?

80-04-03R2 AVCO LYCOMING:

Amendment 39-3692 as amended by Amendment 39-3977 is further amended by Amendment 39-5893.

Applies to O-320-H series engines and O-360-E, LO-360-E, TO-360-E and LTO-360-E series engines; (all serial numbers and hydraulic lifter (tappet) configurations).

Compliance required as indicated, unless already accomplished.

a. To prevent hazards in flight associated with bent push rods on Model O-320-H series engines, accomplish the following:

Within the next 50 hours in service after the effective date of this AD, replace the upper exhaust valve spring seats with P/N LW-16475-KLI and the exhaust hydraulic lifters with P/N LW-16586 in accordance with AVCO Lycoming Service Bulletin

No. 435 dated March 17, 1979, or FAA-approved equivalent, on all O-320-H series engines with serial numbers up to and including L-6182-76 and on all O-320-H series engines overhauled (remanufactured by Lycoming) before March 19, 1979.

b. To prevent excessive wear and oil system contamination associated with hydraulic lifters spalling on O-320-H, and O-360-E, LO-360-E, TO-360-E and LTO-360-E series engines, accomplish the following:

1. At the next engine oil change but no later than 50 hours in service after the effective date of this AD, and at each subsequent oil change or 50-hour interval, whichever occurs earlier, add one 6-ounce can of Lycoming P/N LW-16702 oil additive in accordance with Lycoming Service Bulletin No.

446B.

2. Within the next 50 hours in service after the effective date of this AD and at every subsequent oil change thereafter, not to exceed 100-hour intervals, inspect lubrication system for metal contaminants. Inspection of the lubrication system consists of visual examination for minute particles of metal suspended in the oil, examination of the engine oil suction screen for presence of metal particles and the inspection of the external full flow oil filter for metal particles by cutting it open so that the pleated element can be unfolded and examined. If ferrous metal contaminants are detected during the above inspections, the camshaft lobes and all hydraulic lifters must be inspected for wear or loss of metal. Replace the camshaft and hydraulic lifters found to have such indications.

3. If contaminants are detected, engine maintenance entries shall be made. If the engine is one of the affected Textron Lycoming engine models with the 'T mod' modification (larger diameter hydraulic lifters), notification in writing must be sent to the Manager, New York Aircraft Certification Office, 181 South Franklin Avenue, Room 202, Valley Stream, New York 11581, specifying the following information:

1. Engine Model and Serial Number.

2. Total time and time since overhaul.

3. Total time on cam and hydraulic lifters.

4. Total time since oil additive first used.

5. Visual condition of cam lobe and lifter contact surfaces.

(Information collection requirements contained in this regulation (Section 39.13) have been approved by the Office of Management and Budget under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980 (Pub. L. 96-511) and have been assigned OMB control number 2120-0056).

NOTE: The 'T mod' is the latest design crankcase that incorporates large diameter hydraulic lifters and wide lobe camshafts and is described in Textron Lycoming Service Instruction No.

1406B. Engines incorporating this configuration are identified by the letter 'T' stamped as a suffix to the engine serial number which appears on the engine name plate for overhaul modified, remanufactured, and new production engines (e.g., L-6005-76T).

c. Equivalent methods of compliance may be approved by the Manager, New York Aircraft Certification Office, FAA, New England Region.

d. Upon submission of substantiating data by an owner or operator through an FAA Maintenance Inspector, the Manager, New York Aircraft Certification Office, FAA, may adjust the compliance time specified in this AD.

e. Special Flight Permits may be issued per FAR's 21.197 and 21.199 to authorize operation of aircraft to a base where the modification and inspection required by this AD may be performed.

Amendment 39-3692 was effective February 8, 1980.

Amendment 39-3977 was effective November 24, 1980.

This amendment 39-5893, becomes effective on April 25, 1988.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC19143 said:
There is some thing we all forgot to ask. Is this engine acceptable to the Snake Oil AD?

Good question, but couldn't he just add a can of snake oil before flying home if that's the case?

BTW, this is the same stuff that comes in some Aeroshell oils right? If so how many quarts of oil contain "one can" of the stuff and if you've put that many quarts in since the change are you good for another 50 hrs (additive wise)?

Big Bird said:

BB

If you don't want to do the change, fly it home. If you have a proper cannister filter on a plane that is being regularly flown, there is no real reason to do oil changes that frequently. Those times are for engines with screen filters and old type oils. Modern filters and additives make those numbers a joke, especially when you add a quart of fresh oil every ten hours or so on most recips. You can see the truth by doing oil analysis on your engine and don't change the oil until you have to to see how long you're actually good for (you still change filters, just not oil). One boat company I worked for never changed the oil in the 3x 3600hp engines in over 100,000 hrs (read 12 years), they just topped off consumption with new oil and put in fresh additives as recommended by the lab as well as changing the filters. When the engines came out for overhaul, there was no unusual wear or deposits. The key is operating the engines in the proper temprature range. While this doesn't make economic sense to do on a small engine with 6-10 qt oil changes, it makes a big difference when each engine holds 135 gallons of oil. My personal feeling for small plane engines with a cannister filter is every 200 hrs or 3 months, which ever comes first, and no sweat on short over runs to get back to your maint base. Screen filters is a whole 'nother story. By 25 hrs they are typically contaminated with enough particulate matter that you start doing bearing damage.

Back