Oil change interval for turbo engine??

jonrood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jonrood
I'm flying a T206H with a TIO-540 790 ttsn. The engine uses zero oil for first 12-15 hrs. after change then starts using about a qt. every 2-3 hrs. Is this normal? I am changing every 25 hrs., is this sufficient?
Thoughts??

Thanks,
Jon

I'm flying a T206H with a TIO-540 790 ttsn. The engine uses zero oil for first 12-15 hrs. after change then starts using about a qt. every 2-3 hrs. Is this normal? I am changing every 25 hrs., is this sufficient?
Thoughts??

Thanks,
Jon

That's a bit strange, and a quart every 2-3 hrs is excessive. 25hrs should be sufficient. I would take a sampling next time after it starts to use oil and send it off to Blackstone. Does the oil have any fuel dilution smell?

Thoughts??

Sufficient? Yes, 25 hrs should be fine for normal conditions assuming the aircraft is being flown regularly.

Thoughts? more like many questions - What oil are you using? Does the engine have substantial blow-by? Is an air/oil separator installed?

Are you getting oil on the belly? What are the compressions? Blowby could well be contaminating the oil and causing it to use more.

Are you getting oil on the belly? What are the compressions? Blowby could well be contaminating the oil and causing it to use more.
This is the reason I'd think.

I use CamGuard....and believe it's keeping my rings clean and preventing blow by. I've noticed the oil consumption decreasing and the belly is staying cleaner.

I also use Phillips XC 20w50 and change the oil every 30-50 hrs....which ever occurs each annual inspection.

Last edited:
I have a cont io550. I change around 30 hrs. Usually don't have to aadd between. Maybe a quart if that. I like to keep close to full mark for cooling as my engine in my airframe is kinda hard to keep out of hot range when climbing.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Jon

How high are you flying and what power settings? That can definitely affect how much oil you're using. For example, flying in the high teens at 32" MP? Yep, you're going to burn that much oil. What are your CHTs at typically? Something else to check is the standard air/oil separator in the T206H is notoriously problematic/undersized you might want to check that out possibly swap it out for an Airwolf one.

I have the TN O-540 and I change about every 30-40 hrs because my setup is notorious for running high oil temps so I don't usually let it go 50 hrs - just me perhaps.

I have the Airwolf air/oil separator.

Thanks for all the replies. I will work through each suggestion made and update.

Compressions all mid -high 70's one was low 70's and mechanic said it can be aligned rings and it could come back up???

It will blow out anything over 9 qt., after that belly stays "marginally clean"

I fly:
6500'-10500'
2400 rpm, 30", 20gph in climb
2350 rpm, 30", 18gph in cruise

This yields
375-390 CHT
1490-1500 EGT

It does drop a spot of fuel on the floor every time I kill it. Not sure if this is normal?

See attached oil report, let me know.........
181ME Report.png

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:
Back