Oil analysis

yachtjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
How long does it normally take to get an oil analysis back from the lab?

I mail mine from Atlanta area to Blackstone Labs in Ft. Wayne, IN. I usually have an email with the results in about 10 days from when I mail it.
They are very customer friendly. I'll bet if you were in a rush and called them it could be faster.

I use the local Caterpiller dealer. The results are back in a day or so.

I had an issue with AvLab taking two months or more. It was taking so long I wrote AvLab and asked if my shop was mailing them in late or what.

The explanation was that the shipping method AvLab had originally picked was taking over a month to process because of the liquid being shipped. AvLAb has changed the shipping vendor and the shipping time has greatly improved but a lot of the shops bought in bulk and had a bunch of the old shipping labels, hence the long shipping time.

Is sounded a little funny so when I send my next one in I will have the new shipping vendor and will not how long it takes to get results. You can get the results on line with AvLab. I would assume Blackstone has a similar service.

I have been using Avlab since 2005 and have found them excellent.

They usually show the data within 10 days of me mailing it, which is about right for air mail from the UK.

But the last sample took about 2 months. I put this down to some chimp re-classifying it as surface mail instead of air mail, but reading the above it may have been something else... It caused me a bit of worry because I really needed that sample to rebuild a trend after getting a high copper+silicon reading due to a badly closing alternate air door. Next time I will take 2 samples and keep one back...

They are very customer friendly. I'll bet if you were in a rush and called them it could be faster.

Yes they are customer friendly but I doubt you'll get your results faster by calling them because they typically e-mail the analysis either the same day or the day after they receive the sample.

Lately, however, the USPS's standard service has slowed significantly. I started sending my samples by priority mail. It's only a $2 premium for a flat rate envelope over using parcel post and I get my results back at least 5 days sooner.

After Avlab took 2 months for my first sample and my second was "lost in the mail", they sent my A&P one of the new labels for #3. They are trackable, so when it sat in a Post Office 20 miles from home for 3 weeks, I had proof of the problem. That got it moving. Results in 10 more days. Currently waiting on a sample shipped 2 weeks ago. Shows as in transit.

They told me that they would supply new shipping labels to anyone who has stock of kits with old labels.

Ditto the ten days on Blackstone or so. Also like their personal commentary that shows up with it.

I have read that Blackstone is the preferred vendor for oil analysis. Since I have already sent four samples to AvLab they have the trending. Would there be any value to sending the trends to Blackstone and then start sending them my samples? Does anyone here have a preference between the two labs?

Back