Ohio Treasures

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
Here is another short I wrote about flying in Ohio. The idea here was to let local pilots know about some interesting destination and encourage short flights within Ohio. The pictures are jpgs for easier loading. I have a few more to follow if I can locate the files.

Great day to fly today, quite a breeze, but that's all part of the adventure. Had to get out and fly the State of Ohio. Found a couple of interenting new places to visit, Grimes Airport (I74), where George and I stopped for luch a few weeks ago is actually the location of a B17 restoration project. Really amazing, lots of volunteers taking the aircraft down to individual pieces. Rivets drilled out, skins removed and and structures sent out for inspection. The ball turret was shipping Monday to a company for complete rebuilding. This is an early stage project and not all the pieces are accounted for. ( No horizontal stabilizers) Visitors are welcome on the weekends and if you stay a while, you'll likely end up with and air drill or hammer in your hand.

The project status and providence can be obtained on their web page: http://www.b17project.com

Second stop was a small airport on the east side of Columbus, OH, Fairfield County, (KLHO) is the home of another small aircraft museum. It's on the airport and not hard to miss with the B25 and military tank on display outsisde. Entering the hanger, I was greeted and given a personal tour of the groups pride and joy, an A26. This twin engine bomber was used for close ground support late in WWII and Vietnam.

This aircraft is basically ready for test flight some time this year if a pilot can be found. On the tour, we walked through the aircraft and into the cockpit. Interesting, only the pilot had a yoke and the gunners in the back could not move forward to the cockpit if necessary. Great piece of history nearly ready to take to the air once again.

Finally,

Flying out to my favorite field, Richard Downey (I40) to top off my tanks before returning to Elyria. (100LL $3.19/gal Correct pirce for June was $2.97 in the spirng) On the way I noticed this unusual building. You may recognize this as the world headquarters for Longaberger Baskets. How could you tell? Quite interesting and a great sense of humor.

Cross winds 15 gusting to 20, I landed at home base 1G1, great early spring fllight, great WWII aviation enthusiasts, and a most uncommon office building.

Take the flight, visit these historical sites, and enjoy flying Ohio.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 16
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 18
Another great write up! You should post these locations on Adventurepilot.com. It is a great site for these types of cool flying destinations!

Back