Ohio Douglas A26 back in the air

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
Today we flew down to Lancaster OH - Fairfield A/P (KLHQ) for a fly in sponsored by the Fairfield Historical Aircraft Museum. http://www.historicalaircraftsquadron.com/

These are the guys just south east of Columbus who have been restoring a Douglas A26 B Invader for the past 10-12 years. Well, today the Invader made her first public demonstration flight after being signed off airworthy yesterday.

The aircraft took off, retracted the gear and flew straight out on a
270 heading. Interesting how the nose wheel rotates 90 degree
sideways then retracts flat into the fuselage.

The aircraft returned a few minutes later and made a low pass across
the field then circled around and landed. Great experience to be part
of the history of this great aircraft.

Unfortunately we did not know the A26 was to fly and I did not have my digital camera . I asked a fellow photographer to send me some of his pics. I'll forward them upon receipt.

Great little museum and FBO day trip.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• douglas_1.jpg
    douglas_1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 30
Today we flew down to Lancaster OH - Fairfield A/P (KLHQ) for a fly in sponsored by the Fairfield Historical Aircraft Museum. http://www.historicalaircraftsquadron.com/

These are the guys just south east of Columbus who have been restoring a Douglas A26 B Invader for the past 10-12 years. Well, today the Invader made her first public demonstration flight after being signed off airworthy yesterday.

Unfortunately we did not know the A26 was to fly and I did not have my digital camera . I asked a fellow photographer to send me some of his pics. I'll forward them upon receipt.

Gary Gembala

Neat story. There used to be one at my home field in the mid to late '60's that was converted as an aerial applicator. Nothing quite like the sound of two big radial engines on a low pass strafing mosquitos!

Trapper John

Maytag had a corporate 26, but I'm pretty sure it was a B, with the On-Mark Marksman belly door conversion. I got a ride (and a few minutes in the seat) during a MX run. I had no clue other than to do what I was told, but was mightily impressed with the needle movement when I pushed the nose over. Lots of winding up and unwinding.

Gary Gembala

cool! there is a guy in our CAF wing who has about 1400 hrs in A26's from the 50's. I think the ones he was flying were for a corporation.

I can't figure out how to load pictures to this thread - so there are 3 in an album on my profile page you're welcome to look at. I'll try to load a short video later today.
Thanks for supporting the Historical Aircraft Squadron in Lancaster. They are a great group of people. They worked for 11 years restoring the A26. It flew once Friday and three times Saturday. It was a great thing to see!

Here are the pics

Attachments

• a26-1.jpg
    a26-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 14
  • a26-2.jpg
    a26-2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 12
  • a26-3.jpg
    a26-3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 16
cool! there is a guy in our CAF wing who has about 1400 hrs in A26's from the 50's. I think the ones he was flying were for a corporation.

The first airplane my dad flew was an A-26 - really!

He was a crew chief in the army air corps and one of the flight officers let him take the controls...

I assume that was against all regulations.

I put some short videos of the A26 in the photo gallery under 'aircraft' for right now until I ask an administrator to re-locate them to a more appropriate place.
Thanks for your interest in the A26.

The first airplane my dad flew was an A-26 - really!

He was a crew chief in the army air corps and one of the flight officers let him take the controls...

I assume that was against all regulations.

Probably no more than it was for the flight crew to give the controls of an R4D to an 18 year old Pharmacists Mate 3rd Class back in 1945. :D Dad's one time at the controls of an airplane. The story was quite entertaining.

Back