O'Hare controller writes tell-all book

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Richards, who worked at Palwaukee Municipal Airport in Wheeling before moving up to the big leagues of air-traffic control, also shares his low points in O'Hare tower. The worst day was on Jan. 20, 1992. It was shortly after 12 p.m. -- called the "noon balloon" because of the big jump in flight activity that occurs -- while Richards was directing departures on four different runways simultaneously.

He innocently transposed some numbers in his verbal instructions to an aircraft, sending the United Airlines jet on the wrong heading. His operational error put three planes on a collision course leading, fortunately, only to a dramatic near miss. "I had just missed taking out three different airplanes and around five hundred people," he writes. "Now I was shaking uncontrollably, but still trying to control the situation."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-gettingaround20aug20,1,4767150.column

I wonder if his book mentions the flibs who drove him crazy. Prolly not, because this guy was a tower controller.

He does mention the MEHICANA pilots were a regular amusement...and hazard. Betty has a few stories about that.

I wonder if his book mentions the flibs who drove him crazy. Prolly not, because this guy was a tower controller.

He does mention the MEHICANA pilots were a regular amusement...and hazard. Betty has a few stories about that.
I've ordered the book on Amazon. And the MEHICANA pilots have been a source of amusement to me, too! Listening to them on the radio makes me feel really good about my radio work! :)

I've ordered the book on Amazon. And the MEHICANA pilots have been a source of amusement to me, too! Listening to them on the radio makes me feel really good about my radio work! :)
I listen to JFK tower a lot. Mexicana isn't that bad most of the time. But Air China... that's a different story! I would never swear read-backs are precisely what was instructed.

Air Canada likes to talk to BOS Center in French (BOS Center doesn't speak french, that's for sure), and the Pan Am Flight Acaedemy guys down in Phoenix...now there's an air traffic control nightmare. Nothing like knowing that they're in the same practice area as you, but not having a clue where or at what altitude (they did teach me that tail numbers could have 19 digits, though).

I listen to JFK tower a lot. Mexicana isn't that bad most of the time. But Air China... that's a different story! I would never swear read-backs are precisely what was instructed.
At ORD the Mexicana pilots are a source of ammusment but the Air China pilots are as source of danger. They have been known to cross active runways without clearance and other such things. I do not think any of the controllers get a laugh from them,

Air Canada likes to talk to BOS Center in French (BOS Center doesn't speak french, that's for sure), and the Pan Am Flight Acaedemy guys down in Phoenix...now there's an air traffic control nightmare. Nothing like knowing that they're in the same practice area as you, but not having a clue where or at what altitude (they did teach me that tail numbers could have 19 digits, though).

Teller - do you do the BOS->BHB run for Colgan? I was (supposed to be, missed a flight) on that last week.

If you are ever up in BHB for an overnight, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

-Andrew

At ORD the Mexicana pilots are a source of ammusment but the Air China pilots are as source of danger. They have been known to cross active runways without clearance and other such things. I do not think any of the controllers get a laugh from them,
Recently at JFK, two aircraft ended up nose-to-nose on a taxiway. In the process, the offending aircraft also blocked an ajacent taxiway. It took time to get equipment out there to hook up and push one of them back. If I'm not mistaken, the offending aircraft was TAM.

English may be the official language of ATC but there sure isn't enough proficiency requirement to fly into countries where they truly need to use it.

JAL was hiring Americans into the right seat of 747s so they could talk on the radios for the Japanese captains. It was a reaaly good gig if you could pass the "cultural compatibility test" part of the interview process.

Mitch

Teller - do you do the BOS->BHB run for Colgan? I was (supposed to be, missed a flight) on that last week.

If you are ever up in BHB for an overnight, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I do, on occasion, make the BHB run. I'm going to be based in AUG starting next week, so I'll prolly be out that way a lot more often. Where abouts are you?

I do, on occasion, make the BHB run. I'm going to be based in AUG starting next week, so I'll prolly be out that way a lot more often. Where abouts are you?

I made the mistake of relocating to Dayton, OH (KMGY is 1 mile from my house, I live under the pattern for 20), but my family is up in BHB. I'll be in the back of your planes more often now, actually, as long as the airfares aren't insane... (BOS -> BHB is a killer, pricewise, but is 1 hour closer to home)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Let me know when you're up this way! All of those essential air service airports are hideously expensive to fly to...it's kind of absurd, really.

"Secrets from the Tower" An ORD ATC reflects on his days in the TWR...A great read!

Disclaimer: Yes, I do personally know the author of this book. All I will say is that as a student pilot, I thoroughly enjoyed this book; many of the stories had me laughing out loud. I will let the Trib review speak for itself.

The only two places that I know you can buy this from are on Amazon, though I can't vouch for the shipping time, and bobrichardsbooks.com. (A relative told me it took 1.5 weeks to arrive.)

If there is anyone out there doesn't want to wait for the long shipping from Amazon, I just got the following in an email....

From now on if you or anyone need books just email me and I will send them out from my wife's office in Newburyport, MA. I will be doing this for everyone I know as it will also cut down on the time it takes to get the book. I can send books out the same day if necessary. If you want it signed I will do that also - just let me know to whom and what you might want it to say.

The cost will still be $32.00 for each book ($25.00 plus $7.00 handling and shipping). Make the check out to Robert P. Richards Jr.and send to:

Robert P. Richards Jr.
18 Center Street, 1-L
Newburyport, MA 01950

His email is Richardsatc@aol.com
Purdue

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "Secrets from the Tower" An ORD ATC reflects on his days in the TWR...A great rea

I've got it on order at Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!

Re: "Secrets from the Tower" An ORD ATC reflects on his days in the TWR...A great rea

This will be on my list.

Yay, something to do on layovers (other than playing pac man)!!

I'd order a copy, but being a VFR pilot in Chicago I'm sure they won't hear me. :rolleyes:

Purdue:

You're quoting the full text of copyrighted material.

Please trim down the quote and provide a link instead.

Thanks.

Chuck, Were you a lawyer in a previous life? :D

Sounds like a great read... I'm looking forward to it coming available in the POA Book Club.

Sorry Chuck, I didn't know and I won't do something like this again. I got 2 PMs about this, thanks for looking out for me!

Off to change it,

Purdue

Purdue:

You're quoting the full text of copyrighted material.

Please trim down the quote and provide a link instead.

Thanks.

Chuck, Were you a lawyer in a previous life? :D

Let me know if that is not good enough, and I'll delete some more.

I've got two questions on this policy, purely for the sake of argument/being curious.

1. If I had direct permission from the author to post, say a chapter, of the book, I'd be OK, right? Or is it still violating something to do with the publisher? For example WGN radio's morning personality Spike O'Dell read a whole chapter on the air and that was OK...

2. Is this just a POA thing? I posted the whole review on 4 other forums, and no one said anything...Didn't this start with the brouhaha from the Martin Aviation Group thing?

Thanks,

Purdue

1. If I had direct permission from the author to post, say a chapter, of the book, I'd be OK, right? Or is it still violating something to do with the publisher? For example WGN radio's morning personality Spike O'Dell read a whole chapter on the air and that was OK...
I'm not sure of most. I know in the case of Neal Boortz, he just appreciates the credit to his name. Otherwise, he considers it free advertising of his site and show.

As a side note... He's found others using his show notes (Blog) almost verbatim and claiming it as their own. For that reason, he's stuck some false items in there from time to time. He also says do not believe anything he says. Look for that on the CBS news!

Or is it still violating something to do with the publisher?

It all depends on who holds the copyright. If it says (c) author, then you would be OK. If not, ....

2. Is this just a POA thing? I posted the whole review on 4 other forums, and no one said anything..
POA is doing it right. The other boards are exposing themselves to legal action, however remote the likelihood. I suspect the Martin Aviation letters got sent to an attorney who told the MC how bad it could be.

-Skip

Haha, great book; just finished - rushed through it in 2 nites because it was so appealing. Never would have believed so many practical jokes and other antics possible in that position. Definitely a high-energy guy. Too much personal stuff for me. Did talk of one flib that caused a deal, also one Mex flight that they allowed to wander around (xing an active twice!) just to see what he would do!
25 from Amazon no shipping.

Sounds like a great read... I'm looking forward to it coming available in the POA Book Club.
I finished "Secrets From the Tower" last night and will offer it in the Book Club. It was an easy-to-read, entertaining book, although not quite what I expected. It reads more like a memoir with a lot of stuff about his personal life included.

I get the feeling that he loved his job as a tower controller but that the job changed toward the end of his career. I have heard that from other controllers too. He blames the problems on understaffing, bureaucracy, and the negative reinforcement policy the FAA has adopted. In light of the current election, he has nice anecdote about Hillary Clinton, but less than nice things to say about Marion Blakey.

...but less than nice things to say about Marion Blakey.
Nawww.... Surely, his thoughts are misplaced! :)

I'd love to get it but can't honestly contribute the time right now. So, it's another one of those things put on hold.

I enjoyed the book. The guys are ORD are good at their jobs.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I thought it was a good read, just the right balance of personal and professional...Just my 2 cents.

Back