Oh, well... maybe next year.

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
Wings: Same weekend our son graduates college, no-go. Probably won't have my ticket by then anyway. If not, maybe I can make the graduation one of my solo XC flights -- it's 143nm each way.

Gaston's: Weekend of our anniversary... don't know if my darling wife will be ready for a long cross-country in a rented Cherokee by then. Probably a no-go.

Airventure: I don't think I will be ready to try to fly in and land there this year... probably a no-go.

Maybe I'll be able to meet some of you all next year. Gotta work on that patience thing.

Priorities. Don't exclude family from flying, don't let flying exclude you from family.

That's why I'm probably not going to make it to any fly-ins this year. Contrary to what some might think, flying is definitely... unquestionably... absolutely... NOT better than sex. :)

Dale.... As long as you read the notam & understand it, can tune to the appropriate freqs at the right times, can listen to the instructions and follow them, and can keep your head out the window and avoid the random idiot who can't manage to do the things I've previously mentioned, you'll be fine flying into Osh. If you're really worried about the first trip in, plan to arrive midweek early in the morning just as the airport is opening for arrivals and there is a really good chance there won't be much other traffic.

Don't forget about 6Y9 Labor day weekend. We've had less than perfect weather the past 2 years so this year is going to be perfect.

I had thought about 6Y9... but it seems a little "rustic" for my wife's taste. We'll have to see how she feels about it then. She has not, to date, even sat in anything smaller than an airliner, let alone flown in one. So the whole "pack up a bag and the wife and go fly somewhere" is still a big gamble.

We've put thousands of miles on the bike in all kinds of weather, often towing a cargo trailer cross country, so I think she'll like it once she gets over the initial panic. Heck, we're even used to talking via intercom with a constant air-cooled tractor engine drone. :)

Dale, there's no requirement to land at OSH if you're not that comfortable. There's Appletin, Fond du Lac, Green Bay. And in a year or two with more practice And comfort level, then OSH.

A rental Cherokee to Gason's? My FBO would not allow it, as they do not permit landing on turf.

Also, why don't you hit KFTG on 5/19, LSA Expo? I'm going to be there. The 2011 Expo was my first "big" XC, it's about 330..350 nm one way. I did it in a Cherokee, coincidentially.

A rental Cherokee to Gason's? My FBO would not allow it, as they do not permit landing on turf.
Good point, they might not either. I might have to buy one, just to get around that. :)

Also, why don't you hit KFTG on 5/19, LSA Expo? I'm going to be there. The 2011 Expo was my first "big" XC, it's about 330..350 nm one way. I did it in a Cherokee, coincidentially.
Same reason we're not doing the Dayton Hamvention this year, or Wings... that's the weekend our youngest graduates. And I doubt I'll be licensed by then. I'm at 15 hours right now, haven't soloed (grrr) and the weather is getting worse so I suspect things will drag out more than a month.

Yeah, I asked today... the rental agreement specifically says no grass fields. Looks like I have to buy an airplane now. Oh, how sad for me.

:D

OK, the only sad part is that I can't afford a Maule.

I probably will, or a Warrior. The Maule is just... well... bigger, faster, carries more, etc. :)

Dale, a couple of ideas:

1. MANY pilots would love a right seat pilot to come with them to OSH. Go with a seasoned pro so you can be PIC next year and "know the drill".

2. Don't be ashamed to buy a "regular" plane ticket if you don't have your cert and meet us POA people at one of the fly-ins

3. You could even organize your own local fly-in or meet up!

I probably will, or a Warrior. The Maule is just... well... bigger, faster, carries more, etc. :)

I'll make you a heck of a deal on a tricked out 'kota...

of course the turbo would be wasted out on the prairie.

I'll make you a heck of a deal on a tricked out 'kota...

of course the turbo would be wasted out on the prairie.
That assumes I want to stay on the prairie. If I did I wouldn't be flying. We have friends kind enough to loan us their condo in Breckenridge from time to time, and other friends in Phoenix. Not to mention a son in SoCal. What's the cruise speed & fuel burn in that thing, anyway?

Back