Oh, Great! A Winged Drone

There are many more birds than there will ever be drones. They are autonomous, ignore all airspace restrictions, and some are very large and fly at very high altitudes (geese have been spotted in the flight levels).

Why no hand wringing? Just because we are used to them? Or is it because birds have "skin in the game"? :D

Birds have see and avoid. I worry about them too, but there's not much that can be done about them either.

If all you anti-droners are not staunch anti-gunners you have some serious cognitive dissonance going on. You guys should have a Millions of Anti-drone Man march, show the world you're serious about this threat to GA airplanes.:lol:

I think you're off the mark here. No one seems "anti-drone" in this thread. Individuals with a sense of thought do appear to be concerned over the growing numbers of multirotor operators who put their machines in the position to unnecessarily increase the chance of causing harm to others, contrasted with "flying" them in areas removed from those who are simply going about their daily lives, or even areas of previously established GA airspace. And so forth. I think you're smart enough to understand that without having to insult anyone by bringing guns into this thread. Gun owners face enough challenges without you lumping them in with the media's newest super villain. Besides, there was mention of shooting down "drones," so someone who doesn't love "drones" does indeed seem to like guns. Who's in dissonance now? :)

I really don't see what people want to do about drones. Un-invent them?

Regulation only works insofar as people obey the regulations. Despite pretty sever penalties, pilots regularly fly drunk, in prohibited areas, or without even having a license.

Do we really think if pilots can't obey regulations in the face of the regulatory leviathan, that people will obediently do so just to operate a toy?

Regulation only works insofar as people obey the regulations. Despite pretty sever penalties, pilots regularly fly drunk, in prohibited areas, or without even having a license.

Do we really think if pilots can't obey regulations in the face of the regulatory leviathan, that people will obediently do so just to operate a toy?

You're complaining about drunken, rogue pilots flying around wild, but can't see others' complaints about toys flying around wildly? Now I think you're just a pot stirrer. You're entitled to your opinion. Let people have their opinions, as well. You'll live longer and be a happier person. :)

So you're saying that since people will break the rules we just shouldn't bother trying at all? While we're at it lets do away with speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs, etc. People break those rules all the time, so they must be totally useless.

As for your last sentence, is it really that hard to fly your toy not near an airport, below 400' and within your view? Is all that really so much to ask of people?

Posters are advocating registering 'something' to reduce the chance of people doing harm with that 'something.' If registration works for reducing harm from 'something' registration must also work for reducing harm from 'something' else(guns, guns, guns, guns, guns.) I bet since the drone registration scheme began there has been very little drone related violence in Chicago.:rofl:
I think you're off the mark here. No one seems "anti-drone" in this thread. Individuals with a sense of thought do appear to be concerned over the growing numbers of multirotor operators who put their machines in the position to unnecessarily increase the chance of causing harm to others, contrasted with "flying" them in areas removed from those who are simply going about their daily lives, or even areas of previously established GA airspace. And so forth. I think you're smart enough to understand that without having to insult anyone by bringing guns into this thread. Gun owners face enough challenges without you lumping them in with the media's newest super villain. Besides, there was mention of shooting down "drones," so someone who doesn't love "drones" does indeed seem to like guns. Who's in dissonance now? :)

Drones don't fly into restricted airspace, people do.:yes::lol::rofl:

I'm not particularly in favor of, nor opposed to drone registration. It does give a way to follow up after something goes wrong. But, of course, that's after.

I'm mostly in favor of some sort of education. Basically don't fly these things out of your sight.

I also strongly suspect that we will eventually have to have electronics in all aircraft to let the drones "see and avoid". Low power transponders of some sort would do it.

John

We need gun education and smart guns, that'll fix gun violence.

Posters are advocating registering 'something' to reduce the chance of people doing harm with that 'something.' If registration works for reducing harm from 'something' registration must also work for reducing harm from 'something' else(guns, guns, guns, guns, guns.) I bet since the drone registration scheme began there has been very little drone related violence in Chicago.:rofl:

I don't know where you're coming up with this because I don't see anyone here advocating registration or anything else of that sort. We are just discussing the situation: one million drones sold, maybe 10 per cent (a conservative estimate) to complete idiots. That's the recipe and the results are pretty easy to predict.

If you are a drone enthusiast private pilots are not your worst enemy, it's your fellow droners doing stupid things with their new toys. Whatever regulation comes (and it will) those are the guys you can blame for it, not us.

"Advocating registration" is not the same as "anti drone," but you already know that. Keep stirring. :)

Registration won't reduce induced harm. It might point to a party responsible for said harm. Education and common sense are what will help mitigate potential injury.

You're complaining about drunken, rogue pilots flying around wild, but can't see others' complaints about toys flying around wildly? Now I think you're just a pot stirrer. You're entitled to your opinion. Let people have their opinions, as well. You'll live longer and be a happier person. :)

I was not complaining at all. Just pointing out the futility of regulation relying on voluntary compliance.

So you're saying that since people will break the rules we just shouldn't bother trying at all? While we're at it lets do away with speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs, etc. People break those rules all the time, so they must be totally useless.

As for your last sentence, is it really that hard to fly your toy not near an airport, below 400' and within your view? Is all that really so much to ask of people?

I'm saying you can ASK people to do anything. Forcing them to comply is a different matter.

I don't know where you're coming up with this because I don't see anyone here advocating registration or anything else of that sort. We are just discussing the situation: one million drones sold, maybe 10 per cent (a conservative estimate) to complete idiots. That's the recipe and the results are pretty easy to predict.

If you are a drone enthusiast private pilots are not your worst enemy, it's your fellow droners doing stupid things with their new toys. Whatever regulation comes (and it will) those are the guys you can blame for it, not us.

I'm not a drone guy, I prefer to have ass in the game, makes the danger more fun. Just having a laugh at the hysteria and hypocrisy.

Thank you.

I personally think registration is an exercise in futility, but if the intent is to attempt to educate the masses about how to use their drones safely then at least it's something. I'm not concerned with the people who know the rules and respect them. I'm worried about all the ones who don't know and don't care.

As for the gun violence analogy, it's a stupid one. Guns are made to kill things and everybody knows that. The problem with drones is that a huge chunk of the population has absolutely no clue what a danger they pose to manned aircraft, and also have no idea what the rules for their use are. In addition most people have no idea there are other airports in their area aside from major commercial ones, and they will happily fly their drones right into final without a single thought about it. Guns are not a fair comparison, everybody knows what happens when you pull the trigger. The danger with drones is that people are clueless.

Back