Offut Air Show

ki4lzk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joshua Jones
Is anyone planning on attending the Offut Air Show? I think it looks quite interesting. My wife and I are going to fly into OMA.

I lived in Omaha from 1990 to 2003 and went to every Offut Air Show I could. They do a fantastic job with static displays and aircraft demonstrations. I'll never forget one year I rode my Honda CBR-600 F-4 Sport Bike. Some "18 year old looking" F-16 pilot about wet himself over my bike. I couldn't believe someone who runs around with an F-16 strapped to his back would get so excited about a street bike. I offered him a trade - he gets a ride on my F-4 if I could get a ride in his F-16. Couldn't close the deal.....

P.S. If you go up before a day or two before the show, you can drive right up and park just behind the base at the end of the runway. If they have the Blue Angels or T-Birds, they practice before the show and you can get one fine front row seat for the practice runs. Make sure you go over to the Amarillo BBQ joint in Ralston (Just up from Offit). Outstanding BBQ and ice cold Lone Star beer.

My introduction to aviation came at an Offutt air show sometime in the early 80s (1984 or 1985, can't remember which.) The Blue Angels were there with their A-4s.

I lived in Omaha from 1990 to 2003 and went to every Offut Air Show I could. They do a fantastic job with static displays and aircraft demonstrations. I'll never forget one year I rode my Honda CBR-600 F-4 Sport Bike. Some "18 year old looking" F-16 pilot about wet himself over my bike. I couldn't believe someone who runs around with an F-16 strapped to his back would get so excited about a street bike. I offered him a trade - he gets a ride on my F-4 if I could get a ride in his F-16. Couldn't close the deal.....

I still love fast cars, bikes, GA airplanes - fighter pilots are just big kids with big toys. The sense of acceleration on a sport bike rivals the acceleration in a jet (to a point). The draw to fast bikes is the sense of speed, the wind, the sound, etc. You get a sense of speed in a jet, but not the same. I've never felt closer to the edge of control than knee down at 130mph on a race bike while power sliding the back tire.

(Plus, there's less rules when riding my bike than flying my jet!) :D

Back