"Official source" material for weight....

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
NOT affecting glide distance.

Long story short, I encountered a guy with a lifetime of aviation experience - military, airlines, etc, that believes that weight affects glide distance. I told him he was incorrect but of course since he is older, has more experience, etc, etc, he knows better than I.

In these instances I've found written proof to be the only recourse, I have found plenty of references online but not from any recognizable name.

I wasn't sure, not being glider rated if quoting 8083-13A Glider Handbook would be appropriate ?

Thanks

PS - No, I am not that earnest in winning an argument - just trying to correct a deficiency is my concern.

Because your best glide speed goes up with weight, your descent rate will be faster but the angle will stay the same.

Now helicopters? Not so much. The amount thrust required to support a heavier potential energy is only a slight increase. Therefore, maintaining the same Nr, the heavier helicopter in an auto will come down slower while maintaining the same speed. I remember reading Ray Prouty's stuff thinking no way that's true. Then, went out and tested it for myself. Yeah, he's dead on.

Last edited:
The FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook mentions it on page 3-16 (link):

Best_Glide.jpg

Thanks, I had found the reference in the AFH shortly after getting on property. He was actually more receptive than I thought he would be based on prior discussion. He still threw out the old "that's book knowledge" song and dance after reading the paragraph though....

Back