Official 2010 Gaston's travel thread

I told you not to let me fly the Bellanker.

I even got Dr. B's prop to go into full feather on the ground at BPK...

btw, we made it home at 11pm after a leisurely dinner stopover at STF.

So I guess the Gaston's Landing Gear Curse strikes again, albeit in a weakened state.

Many Thanks to all who helped make it a wonderful G-VII
and also to everyone who attended, I had a terrific time!

Monday at 2:07 landed back at S49 all safe and sound. Well safe anyways. Had a good flight home from the Farmington, NM. area with a stop for fuel in Delta, UT. I think I might of just got my flying fix for a few days. Pictures and video to follow in a while.

Good for you, I hope the weather cooperated.:thumbsup:

btw, we made it home at 11pm after a leisurely dinner stopover at STF.

Glad you made it Steve even if the IAR was unable; always great to see you despite your unrelenting jabs at both my landings and my cookies :cryin:
Thanks for your organization of Sat dinner, being our airboss, and just bein' you!
Nice boating and waterskiing with you, too - we need to do more of that!

Here are a couple of travel pictures I had taken by my passengers on the way home.

Attachments

• 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
...Towards the end of the flight the vacuum pump failed. We were totally VMC, so it was quite interesting to see it happen. I can see how insideous it would be if it happened in IMC. Flying that AI is deeply ingrained. I have a standby electric vacuum pump that fixed the immediate problem (and proved it was the pump and not the AI itself).

I learned that lesson. I had my vacuum pump fail while I was under the hood getting dual. I asked the CFI how he did that. :D

Jake and I pulled into the driveway after about 12 half hours of a planned 13 hour time, which is pretty amazing considering the many stops we made and the several blinding T-storms we penetrated.

Sharon, Michael and I made it home yesterday at about 7PM after a slight detour to NE Kansas for a Funeral. As ugly as the weather was on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, we had NO weather delays and only a minor detour yesterday going to Dubuque.

Some trip facts.

Total Tach Time: 13.0
Total "Hobbs" time: 15:02
Total Fuel used: 194.2 Gallons $776 @ approx $4.00 per Gallon
Total OIL used: 22 Quarts $112 @ approx $4.00 per Quart (Truly is a budget item)
Total mileage flown: 1150 nautical, approximately.
12.9 GPH

Last edited:
LOL. Each line stands alone and I forgot to enter the GS number. Hadn't figured it out.

Matt, Greg, Bob, myself, and others demonstrated that there is great utility in VFR flying, even in VFR-only airplanes. Bob especially... Wow!

Tell you what. In the 8 years I have owned the 195, I have had to delay a trip ONCE. That was from Gaston's a couple of years ago when the weather system just sat there and didn't move for several days. Others made it VFR that Sunday, but I didn't have to be anywhere and I chose not to go. I may not always get there in a timely fashion, but I always get there.

Tell you what. In the 8 years I have owned the 195, I have had to delay a trip ONCE. That was from Gaston's a couple of years ago when the weather system just sat there and didn't move for several days. Others made it VFR that Sunday, but I didn't have to be anywhere and I chose not to go.

I got stuck at Gaston's that time too, but it was not due to the sky so much as the runway! It got a wee bit muddy. I saw Lance Flynn go running out to his plane and wondered what was going on. A couple of others got out in a big hurry too. If I'd have been paying attention I could have gotten the plane over to BPK and made it out later that day. But, it was kind of fun sticking around too! I remember Greg and Sharon, Sheri and Nick, Diana and Tom, and myself and Kate being there, though I think I'm missing someone. There was the trip to Wal-Mart for new shoes, and the surprisingly good Mexican restaurant... Fun times. :yes:

I got stuck at Gaston's that time too, but it was not due to the sky so much as the runway! It got a wee bit muddy. I saw Lance Flynn go running out to his plane and wondered what was going on. A couple of others got out in a big hurry too. If I'd have been paying attention I could have gotten the plane over to BPK and made it out later that day. But, it was kind of fun sticking around too! I remember Greg and Sharon, Sheri and Nick, Diana and Tom, and myself and Kate being there, though I think I'm missing someone. There was the trip to Wal-Mart for new shoes, and the surprisingly good Mexican restaurant... Fun times. :yes:
I was there as well - had the DA-20-C1 from KFCM.

jesse i thought you got out that day. or at least you followed matt and I over to mountain home after the mud bogging departure.

jesse i thought you got out that day. or at least you followed matt and I over to mountain home after the mud bogging departure.
I followed you guys to mountain home but elected not to attempt the trip to the north. There were some layers that I would have had to over-fly with night approaching. I got a weird feeling about it and waited. Getting into MSP also appeared unlikely given my lack of an instrument rating at the time.

Tell you what. In the 8 years I have owned the 195, I have had to delay a trip ONCE. That was from Gaston's a couple of years ago when the weather system just sat there and didn't move for several days. Others made it VFR that Sunday, but I didn't have to be anywhere and I chose not to go. I may not always get there in a timely fashion, but I always get there.

When someone asks me if I can take them somewhere, Vale Air always explains to them. " If you have time to spare then go by air." When it comes to small GA airplanes I think this is a good motto.

When someone asks me if I can take them somewhere, Vale Air always explains to them. " If you have time to spare then go by air." When it comes to small GA airplanes I think this is a good motto.

It's a good motto for safety, Bob, but we frequently beat it. It would have been impossible to drive from Vale to Gaston's and back as fast as you did it, and even the airlines might not have beat you.

I know I did Kent but when you have to get a motel and stay a day or two, a passenger has no recourse because you already told him. " If you have time to spare go by air". That is what I meant.

I know I did Kent but when you have to get a motel and stay a day or two, a passenger has no recourse because you already told him. " If you have time to spare go by air". That is what I meant.

Yes, exactly... And it fits the "under promise and over deliver" philosophy which generally creates happy "customers" as well. :yes:

Back