Offering strangers rides

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
What is your opinion on offering strangers rides in a ga plane?
When you meet new people, will you offer to take them flying?

I do if they seem decent...

Most take me up on it too...

do you ask them to split the cost?

Sure. Everybody's a stranger till you get to know them.

No more or less than I'd offer a stranger a ride in my car (and I don't normally do that). And I'd never ask for money in either case.

As for meeting new people, once I get to know them, and they had expressed interest, yes, I'd offer to take them along on a flight. And I have -- many, many times. But then they're not "strangers" any more.

Have you ever refused to take someone with you who asked to go?

Ive been tempted to offer non pilot airport bums to ride along before, but never have.

We do it all the time in EAA with Eagle Flights.

Haven't done it as a pilot, but as a teen with too many dreams and not enough money, hanging around the FBO would often get me invited along by whomever was passing through.

This took place before I got my private pilot certificate.

I was at the local airport taking photos of airplanes as they were landing or taking off. A Piper that I have seen fly the pattern taxis towards me and engine shuts off. The door opens and the pilot begins talking; took me a few seconds to realize he was talking to me and a few more to understand he was offering me a ride.

Because I have seen the plane fly the pattern I assumed I was taking a lesser risk and was okay with it, so off we went.

Had a great 30 minute local flight. I asked to contribute to the flight but he refused, so I emailed him the photos I took during the flight.

About a year or so later I googled his name and found that he had become a CFI; on his web page I saw the photos I had taken during the flight with him. That made me chuckle and thought I must really (re) start taking fligjt lessons.

So i'm glad he offered a stranger a flight and am glad I accepted.

Would I offer a stranger a flight? If A all conditions are "right" and my instict gives me "clearance" I would (on a case by case basis).

So I guess I would share a bit of aviation despite the possible legal - and other - risks.

I consider it my duty, as an ambassador for GA - as all of us are. It is also a privilege (and fun).
Never for $.
(I assume you speak of aviation-interested people when you say 'stranger'.)

I've given lots of rides to people I didn't know well but always have had some kind of connection to them -- friend of a friend, friend of a local pilot, colleague, etc. On the other hand, there's someone I know well who I absolutely will never take for a flight. In the past, he's had suicidal episodes. He's a great guy, really smart and, as far as I know, okay right now. But I'm never taking him flying. I don't have sufficient trust in his mental state to risk it.

Also, I would never, ever accept money from a stranger or acquaintance for taking them for a flight. Never, ever, ever.

Absolutely, anyone who expresses interest gets a ride.

As Ron said, it's normally an actuaintance...

That said the aircraft I fly is based on a small airpark. If someone approached me at the hangar, struck up a convo and wanted a ride, I'd give em one.

Yes. Have taken up more friends, but also offered up rides to local radio and TV folk at the other end of the spectrum. One morning show hostess went for a ride on Women in Aviation day.

I've given rides to pilots I didn't know (and accepted a few). I've certainly taken up tons of people who were volunteering at Oshkosh I didn't personally know.

Just last week I had just been landed after a 30 minute flight, as I rolled out to the far end on my grass strip I saw some kids/parents watching. I shut down, asked if any of them wanted a ride and they all came rushing over. I ended up giving the neighbors niece a flight over the city. I don't like to do too many flights per day off my field since I don't want the neighbors to complain about noise so that was the only ride I gave that day. I'm always looking for someone who is interested to take them up.

Offering is one thing, but I can tell you that I've been offered rides by strangers before I learned to fly. It happens.

Last victim was just a few weeks ago. An incredibly friendly Irish lady introduced to me by a pilot friend :)

Attachments

• Laura UpSideDown.jpg
    Laura UpSideDown.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Of course,never know when you inspire a new pilot.

I don't offer, but I will if asked within a few caveats.

No first timers. By that I mean someone who has NEVER been off the ground. No minors. If you want hell on earth, just scare or hurt someone's 'baby.'

And no liberals! :D

Back