Off-Topic: POC radios?

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
This place is LOADED with tech wizzes, so thought I'd come here looking for some non-aviation help. I have a team that uses walkie talkies in the plant (and it is noisy). I need a way to dial into meetings on the shop floor remotely and communicate with the team. This is a series of structured meetings where multiple people communicate over the walkie talkie. It is at a fixed time so I can "dial in" and don't need to be able to contact people at random times.

In a perfect world, I'd just link the AUX on the phone to a walkie then I could dial that cell phone and then could hear what is broadcast (through the walkie talkie then over the cell phone to me). Problem is I don't know how the push to talk would work. Seems with this arrangement, either I'll have my mic live and step on everyone else, or I'll have no way to communicate. I think getting audio out is pretty straight forward, just don't know how to communicate to the team since no way to use PTT over the phone.

I see these new POC phone/radios which conceptually seem good, but I want to be able to talk with over a dozen people on normal walkie talkies and it looks like POCs are just POC-to-POC and don't work with "local" walkie talkies.

Seems like a straight forward ask so assuming I'm over thinking this and some may be able to point me in the right way.

Suggestions please.

Sounds like there should be an app for that.

I downloaded an app (I'm sorry but I can't remember which one) about 4 years ago when my wife and I were moving. I drove the moving van and she ran interference in the car. I enabled us to talk instantly (sort of like the old Nextel PTT) instead of having to place the call and wait for an answer.

Have you looked for an app that would meet your needs?

Back