Off-topic / Controversies forum?

David Megginson

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I see the moderators struggling with a lot of controversial threads unrelated to aviation. Over on the Piper Forum (which uses the same software), they've addressed the problem this way:
  1. Set up Off Topic and Controversies (C19, politics), etc forums.
  2. Make those forums invitation-only, so that users don't see the posts unless they ask to join.
  3. Move any inappropriate threads that start in other forums into those.
I think the same thing might be useful here. The majority of users, who probably don't want to see posts about vaccines, vote counting, etc, won't see them, and will enjoy PoA much more; the people who do want to talk about those things can ask to join the protected forums and flame away.

They had such a place- you may have come after it was removed. I've no idea why it went away.

All people need do is follow forum rules and the mods will have it easier (this comment directed at no one in particular).

They had such a place- you may have come after it was removed. I've no idea why it went away.

All people need do is follow forum rules and the mods will have it easier (this comment directed at no one in particular).
When the spin zone existed, was it hidden by default, so people wouldn't see the subjects in the "New posts" list? That's the trick -- you want it to be invitation-only, so that the majority of users can just pretend it doesn't exist. Otherwise, you keep seeing the subject lines under latest posts.

trying to avoid a ban hammer?

When the spin zone existed, was it hidden by default, so people wouldn't see the subjects in the "New posts" list? That's the trick -- you want it to be invitation-only
Yes, the Spin Zone was ‘Opt In’, so those who wanted to participate in those discussions could, and those who didn’t, would be hidden from it.
The best ideas don't come from new members, they (obviously) come from new moderators.
This is nothing new. You’ve been here long enough to know that.

And (as a non-participant) the Spin Zone disputes frequently spilled over into other areas (I don't think the invitation only approach would fix that) which is why the MC decided it was not worth the effort. See the thread linked above.

But to be clear, I did not participate in the spin zone and I have never been a moderator here. (And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

I actually miss the spin zone, but I understand it was basically a butthurt factory and caused all manner of hurt feelings that spilled outside. I missed whatever threads were the cause of its removal, they must've been extra special. :D

I actually miss the spin zone, but I understand it was basically a butthurt factory and caused all manner of hurt feelings that spilled outside. I missed whatever threads were the cause of its removal, they must've been extra special. :D

I don't miss it. I became toxic, and "the basement" did start flooding the first floor. My opinion is the moderators have done a pretty good job of allowing sensitive off-topic discussions, and participants in those discussion have generally behaved well, probably in part because they know they were being watched/judged on the ability to keep the conversation somewhat friendly.

New folks are welcome to ask anything, imo.

In the case of the SZ, it was tried extensively but failed miserably.

a) my guess is it was 90% of moderators 'ugly' work
b) other than being an outlet for anger and hate which some people seem to have an ongoing need for, there was very little benefit.
c) there is a surfeit of places on the internet to mouth off, or get chewed up; go there.

Off Topic ??
How can you not talk about the election?

Back