Off to the Southeast- indeed!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Nifty little flight to Tallahassee yesterday.

Watched the WX all week, and there's that big ol' clump of ugly that has been parked over the southeast, especially Florida panhandle, and it just wouldn't go away.

Friday night, after a long long loooong day of work, I was at home and made the determination that the weather was perfect to fly right away- in the night.

Too bad the pilot was exhausted. Tommy asked why I couldn't just set the autopiolt and take a nap. Why not indeed?!

So, bright and early Saturday morning, up and checked the weather, and while the forecast gave some hope, it was apparent that the coastal areas were getting convective activity, and right now, especially the western parts (Pensacola, Destin, etc.) and my preferred fuel and stretch stop (Natchez) was forecast 200' off and on.

So.

I decided to head on east and stop a little further north and east, at Montgomery, AL (MGM), and come at TLH from a little more northerly. Flight to MGM was unremarkable, a little bit of IMC descending to make the ILS approach, but field in sight at about 1200 and an alla round easy arrival. Great service there, downright eager line staff.

Checked weather and did not like what I saw at first look, all manner of returns on a SW-NE orientation, but one line had finished up with TLH, and the next band was behind it by about an hour and a half ( I guessed); quick look, saw lots of airports between MGM and TLH and ceilings were all reported comfortable, so we launched and flew low, planning on just scooting through that way.

But I don't like the combination of low, and fast, and I ended up asking for a pop-up clearance from Cairns Approach, who instantly cleared me "Direct Tallahassee, climb and maintain 3000 and let me know if you want higher."

It ended up being a smooth ride, with only about 3/10 IMC in the terminal area, and a nice happy arrival (got momentarily lost taxiing, controller said it can happen on your first visit, which would have been more comforting if it had been my first visit!), with 98 year old grandmother pulling up in her Caddy about 20 minutes later to pick us up.

Bottom line, though, is I was comfortably eating Grandmother's ham and blacke-eyed peas in Tallahasse at about the time I might have reached Baton Rouge if I'd been driving. A good time was had by all.

I love flying!

And 98 years old! We've already been out in the yard, trimming bushes and hanging plants. What a piece of work she is. We are lucky my son gets to know his great grandmother this well.

SCCutler said:
(got momentarily lost taxiing, controller said it can happen on your first visit, which would have been more comforting if it had been my first visit!)
So much for comfort. :)

SCCutler said:
with 98 year old grandmother pulling up in her Caddy about 20 minutes later to pick us up.

Bottom line, though, is I was comfortably eating Grandmother's ham and blacke-eyed peas in Tallahasse at about the time I might have reached Baton Rouge if I'd been driving. A good time was had by all.

And 98 years old! We've already been out in the yard, trimming bushes and hanging plants. What a piece of work she is. We are lucky my son gets to know his great grandmother this well.
Spike, she sounds like a wonderful role model for all of us. Thanks for sharing. You and your family are lucky to have her still with you.

Back