Off SSRI, No Issues -- LSA Okay?

U

Unregistered

Okay --

After ~8 years of taking Paxil for anxiety starting when I was 16, I finally managed to ween myself off of it in November after consulting my personal physician (that stuff is darn near impossible to get off of...)

While I had contemplated doing LSA while on it (and did solo once), after reading some conflicting posts online I decided it was not worth it to pursue an LSA or continue soloing while in the "gray" area of being on an SSRI.

Now that I am off of the SSRI and (thankfully) don't have anxiety running my life anymore, I would like to pursue a license. My thought is that rather than go through the whole shebang for a 3rd class, my purposes are fully served by doing LSA.

A couple of questions:

1) Is that fact that I soloed once while on it a horrible thing? Could that ever be held against me somehow? Obviously no damage occurred or anything like that...but just curious.

2) Is there anything special that I need to do before soloing? I plan on waiting the 6 months before I start flying again (it'd be late May before I could start anyway), but is there anything else I must do?

Thanks,
Matt

Have you ever been denied a 3rd class medical? If no, proceed to next...

Do you have a valid drivers license? If no, proceed to next...

You should be golden.

I am not a doctor, FAA employee, or CFI, my opinions may totally be wrong. According to my wife, they often are :D

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/

"You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties."

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response5/

"You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician’s recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations. "

Anything else you want to know?

Aren't SSRIs a permanent disqualifies for obtaining a 3rd class medical and to fly under LSA you not only have to have not been disqualified for a 3rd class you cannot exercise the privileges if you knew you could not get the 3rd class.? So in this case the op could not exercise his privileges. Let us keep in mind he soled and has held a 3rd class at one time.

Last edited:
Aren't SSRIs a permanent disqualifies for obtaining a 3rd class medical? And to fly under LSA you not only have to hav enot been disqualified for a 3rd class you cannot excerise the privileges if you knew you could not get the 3rd class. So in this case the op could not exercise his privileges. Let us keep in mind he soled and has held a 3rd class at one time.

No, he soloed in an LSA, so no 3rd Class required.

And the standard for the LSA medical is not the 3rd Class, but if you know of a condition that would impact your ability to safely fly.

you cannot excerise the privileges if you knew you could not get the 3rd class.

I have looked and looked and can not find one single reference from the FAA that says that.

If you have a reference (from the FAA), I would like to see it.

Thanks for the responses guys. This helps.

No, I have never been denied a 3rd class. I did hold one for about 6 months before I started taking the Paxil. After that I self-grounded after doing research on it. So, I just let it expire and have never re-applied (for obvious reasons).

As far as the not being able to get a 3rd class now -- I am reasonably confident that I could pass the battery of psych tests at the 6 month point and qualify again, BUT I do not want to spend the time or money to do it or risk the possibility of getting denied for any reason.

Matt

It's all pretty vague (intentionally so, I think); but I think the links previously posted sum up FAA's position:

"You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician’s recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations."

That seems to be the standard answer to pretty much any question posed regarding whether one can fly SP despite suffering from this or that condition.

On the other hand, some have insisted that any use of an SSRI (or other prescription drugs that would DQ for third-class) grounds an airman even from flying SP. I've never seen that in any FAA publication; but I've never looked, either, because I don't take any such meds.

But as for meds you took six months ago??? I really can't imagine there would be an issue. The only thing I think is required would be to ask your doctor if, at present, you have "a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties."

If the answer is, "No," then I think you're in the clear.

That's my opinion, anyway, and worth every cent you paid for it.

-Rich

Thanks for the responses guys. This helps.

No, I have never been denied a 3rd class. I did hold one for about 6 months before I started taking the Paxil. After that I self-grounded after doing research on it. So, I just let it expire and have never re-applied (for obvious reasons).

As far as the not being able to get a 3rd class now -- I am reasonably confident that I could pass the battery of psych tests at the 6 month point and qualify again, BUT I do not want to spend the time or money to do it or risk the possibility of getting denied for any reason.

Matt

Matt,

When you soloed, did you honestly believe you were competent to be PIC? Have you discussed this with your doctor? Is he/she in agreement that you are medically fit to fly, regardless of what the rules are for 3rd Class?

Just as an aside...

One of my ex-girlfriends was a doctor with a holistic slant. She mentioned an herb called "St. John's Wort" as an alternative to SSRIs once.

I have absolutely no idea how St. John's Wort works, nor even if it works, if it's safe, if it's legal, or anything else about it other than what she told me. I do use herbs to treat other sundry ailments, but depression's not one of them. My insanity leans more toward the manic type.

-Rich

JeffDG --

Yes, when I soloed on the 3rd class I truly believed I was competent to fly and had not had anxiety issues at that point. I have no concerns about that aspect of things.

I talked with my doc about it a while back while I was on the SSRIs and he thought I was fit to fly then (and was amazed that the FAA banned SSRIs actually). I have since moved and have not seen the doc in a while. I will be back home this summer (away at grad school now) and can make an appointment to see him before I start flying if that helps to satisfy the LSA requirement. I have not seen him since I discontinued the Paxil, but he had told me that I could basically taper as I saw fit.

Matt

Jeff DG --

Sorry, I believe I misread your post on the solo point.

Yes, I also felt I was confident to be PIC the one time I soloed in an LSA. The anxiety has been pretty much under control for the past 3-4 years without issue (and on a continually declining Paxil dosage). Paxil is just notoriously difficult to stop using, and I wanted to avoid withdrawal side effects while coming off of it -- so I took my time.

My only concern after-the-fact that day was whether I was legal in soloing while on an SSRI -- so I decided to wait until I completely discontinued usage before proceeding.

Matt

Note that there is absolutely, positively no requirement to consult with your physician. Only non-binding advice on a web page that you ought to...and have your drivers license.

As many others have said, it is not about being authorized before hand, it is about being liable on the backside of an accident. Liability for you, liability for your physician if you DO consult him/her, liability for your insurance.

Check over on the red board. I posted a question on this issue after I read the article in AOPA Pilot about Mr. Combs flying an LSA to all 50 states. The consensus there from the docs was that it is basically a non-issue. Your doctor told you it was OK to fly, you have a driver license (?) so you are ready to go. Don't worry about it, just go fly.

1) Is that fact that I soloed once while on it a horrible thing? Could that ever be held against me somehow? Obviously no damage occurred or anything like that...but just curious.
Since nothing happened, as long as nobody knows and you don't tell anyone, you won't have a problem. Just don't do it again.
2) Is there anything special that I need to do before soloing? I plan on waiting the 6 months before I start flying again (it'd be late May before I could start anyway), but is there anything else I must do?
Since you were never denied for an FAA medical certificate and never had one yanked, Geoffrey has answered that above.

Thanks, guys! It looks like it is probably a good idea to consult with my doc one last time, but otherwise good to go for LSA.

Matt

Good news...... See the AOPA website for more information.

-Skip

For Immediate Release

April 2, 2010
Phone: (202) 267-3883
FAA Proposes New Policy on Antidepressants for Pilots

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced that it will consider the special issuance of a medical certificate to pilots who are taking medication for mild to moderate depression, conditions that now bar them from all flying duties.

On a case-by-case basis beginning April 5, pilots who take one of four antidepressant medications – Fluoxetine (Prozac), Sertraline (Zoloft), Citalopram (Celexa), or Escitalopram (Lexapro) – will be allowed to fly if they have been satisfactorily treated on the medication for at least 12 months. The FAA will not take civil enforcement action against pilots who take advantage of a six-month opportunity to share any previously non-disclosed diagnosis of depression or the use of these antidepressants.

“I’m encouraging pilots who are suffering from depression or using antidepressants to report their medical condition to the FAA,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt. “We need to change the culture and remove the stigma associated with depression. Pilots should be able to get the medical treatment they need so they can safely perform their duties.”

The FAA’s policy is consistent with recommendations from the Aerospace Medical Association, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Air Line Pilots Association and the International Civil Aviation Organization. The Civil Aviation Authority of Australia, Transport Canada and the U.S Army already allow some pilots to fly using antidepressant medications.

Psychiatrists and Aviation Medical Examiners who have specialized training under the Human Intervention and Motivation Study (HIMS) program will help the FAA evaluate and monitor pilots under this new policy. The HIMS program was established 40 years ago and has been highly effective for the assessment, treatment, and medical certification of pilots who need help with alcohol and drug issues.

The policy statement is on display in the Federal Register at http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/public-inspection and allows for public comment until May 3. A notice regarding the special enforcement action related to the new policy is available at the same website.

The press release is misleading. It is ONLY for monopolar depression in remission. It is NOT for ANY OTHER SITUATION.

To make it easier, I'll post the decision here. Please read everything on pages 10 (planned 6 month amnesty, dates to be announced) and 13 (What's actually required) , In order to understand what is actually being offered you ahve to read the whole 13 pages.

I know that's an unreasonable demand in today's ADHD society, but if you post a question about something that is clearly described herein, I will whip you with a wet noodle.

The document is short, well written, and there are parts almost verbatim from the letter we wrote Dated July 2006, signed by Luis Gutierrez, you should really read the whole thing.

It's really quite narrow.
Have fun!

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 515
I think what Bruce is trying to say is that regardless of what you read in the press, it's still not OK to just up and go flying with SSRI's in you -- there's a lot of hoops through which to jump, and a lot of "only if's" involved.

The MOST PAINFUL thing was that AOPA's outside news service, eBrief, got it wrong too.

Dr. B, you might want to address the question of St. John's Wort, too.

If I understand it, the active ingredient in St. John's Wort is an MAO inhibitor. If you happen to get the dosage right, I gather it can be as effective as the commercial pharmaceutical versions, which doctors don't prescribe much anymore, because they're too dangerous. Those are the ones where you don't dare eat hard cheeses, red wine, and other lovely things that make life worth living, only in the case of the herb, there's little guarantee of a standardized dosage, it interacts strangely with other psych drugs, and can produce some very nasty side effects.

I got no personal knowledge of this stuff, just repeating what I've overheard. Quoth the sage-in-residence: "Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it's safe. Remember that plants evolved chemicals like this in order to poison insects."

The problem with St. john's wort is that nobody has any measure of biological potency form lot to lot. So you might get a dangerous spike in BP from one lot- and no Monoamine oxidase inhibition in the next.

PLUS, you never know if the red wine or the cheese or any of a number of other things is going to stroke you out that day.

They don't assay for MAO inihibition- if they did it would not be a food supplement, but it would be a pharmaceutical.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back