Off-Paper Questions About HIMS Approval Chance

EagleEye

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eagle
Hello all, hell of a first post here, but I need some guidance on my chances of being approved given my (what I believe to be) unique scenario.

To start off, I discovered just this year that I absolutely love flying. I've always loved flying, but this year was the first time I got to do so at the wheel. It was beyond exhilarating. The very first time I flew (discovery flight), I got airsick because of the amount of adrenaline going through me... mixed with a poor choice in both what my breakfast was and when I ate it (~20 minutes before flight). Thankfully, subsequent times I was just fine, but overall this was an eye-opening experience for me, like it was something that I was meant to do. But before I get too far ahead of myself....

I was on SSRIs for about half a year due to a pretty painful series of life events and stopped taking them before going to get my very first medical (which was going to be a first class medical). After all this time they were not doing much for me, and I felt it was best to just stop them altogether - I wasn't keen on taking any medicine that would "mess with your head." Although I was no longer on them, I reported that I had taken them in the past like you're instructed to do. After speaking with the AME, I learned that I was still being deferred due to having taken them at all.

Months later, I've taken (and apparently "aced") the CogScreenAE, I've been evaluated by a HIMS Doctor/Psychiatrist (I always get Doctor/Psychologist/Psychiatrist mixed up), and I've provided all of my known medical history (regarding therapy/counseling and taking the SSRIs) to the HIMS AME. I say known because there are things I can't find the records for anymore (shot record from birth, stitches I got from when I was 2-ish, etc). On the counseling records provided, there were revisions that needed to be made to the documents (system error) and I had about 18ish extra diagnoses, some of which were wildly incorrect. I also noticed that on the initial take-in report for counseling, there was a "suicide almost-attempt" on my record after the first set of revisions came back. This was present on the initial documents before revisions, as well.

To explain this, several years prior there was an event earlier in my life that was a gross miscommunication on my part with another party (a college), that actually was misconstrued as a threat of suicide - and I had to go and clear that up with the other party. It was a short meeting, I reassured that there was no intention to take my own or anyone else's life, apologized for the poor wording, and I continued taking classes there without issue. All in all it was pretty embarrassing, but it was fixed.

How this falls into my medical record...
During my in-take with the therapist/counselor, naturally the question of suicide attempts pops up - because this event had come to mind, and my tendency to overshare - I talked about this situation. Although I had explained it as one big misunderstanding, this somehow populated my medical record as a very real thing, and to me, even an almost-attempt (from a complete miscommunication) would bar me from ever becoming a commercial pilot, which has been my recent focus for my future. After communicating the error with the counselor, the most they were willing to do was write a letter stating there was no intention or never was. It seems like it's enough, but the counselor still reported in a letter that there still was an "almost attempt."

I'm sorry this is so long, and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions on this, but can I mention in my personal statement that this "suicide almost-attempt" is completely incorrect? Will my personal statement on this even be considered with that on my record? Is this considered a genuine form of medical malpractice, and do I have any options to get this truly fixed and help get my medical approved?

EDIT: Found the edit title button! Revised title to hopefully be more accurate.

Last edited:
Just for clarification purposes...
- I do not, or have not held any kind of pilot medical certificate. This is my first time doing all of this.
- I just realized the topic may have been a little off, it's just that I know I'm going through the HIMS process. Sorry for that.
- This is not to detract from my HIMS AME whatsoever (even though I don't think this could be interpreted as a complaint toward them), as they have been extraordinarily helpful through all of this.

Last edited:
Maybe there are people here who can tell you what your chances are, but I don't think there's anything you can do at this point -- with applications already submitted and paperwork already forwarded -- to change those chances... Certainly explaining all of this to a sympathetic HIMS psychiatrist and acing the CogScreen are two steps in the right direction.

If I were you, I'd make sure this "suicide almost-attempt" is clearly documented as a misunderstanding and not a mental health event on any paperwork that hasn't been sent in yet, and to stop calling it that yourself. That phrase is ridiculous and invites more scrutiny. Call it whatever it actually was: "poorly worded email" or whatever. Not what it almost was or wasn't, and certainly not "almost" something that it wasn't.

Anyway, I doubt there's much you can do at this point other than answer whatever letters you get. If there is something you can do, talking with someone who actually knows something, like Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler, will be the best way to learn about it.

Maybe there are people here who can tell you what your chances are, but I don't think there's anything you can do at this point -- with applications already submitted and paperwork already forwarded -- to change those chances... Certainly explaining all of this to a sympathetic HIMS psychiatrist and acing the CogScreen are two steps in the right direction.

If I were you, I'd make sure this "suicide almost-attempt" is clearly documented as a misunderstanding and not a mental health event on any paperwork that hasn't been sent in yet, and to stop calling it that yourself. That phrase is ridiculous and invites more scrutiny. Call it whatever it actually was: "poorly worded email" or whatever. Not what it almost was or wasn't, and certainly not "almost" something that it wasn't.

Anyway, I doubt there's much you can do at this point other than answer whatever letters you get. If there is something you can do, talking with someone who actually knows something, like Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler, will be the best way to learn about it.

Thank you for your reply!

Thankfully, the documentation has not yet been submitted to the FAA. My HIMS AME was adamant that we get my "file" as clean and clear as possible before we submit. They were actually the one to help me get a lot of those incorrect diagnoses removed to begin with, since I had no idea that I was able to actually dispute these things - since I'm not a medical professional by any means, and don't know as much as actual medical professionals about these things.

I have only been calling it "suicide almost attempt" as that's what it was on the medical record. Is this something I can clarify on my personal statement?

You ask if you can:

“mention in my personal statement that this "suicide almost-attempt" is completely incorrect? Will my personal statement on this even be considered with that on my record?”

Are you saying the FAA has asked you to provide a personal statement? If so then by all means, I think telling them the exact details of exactly how that came about might help.

I am only one case and YMMV and I’m not an AME. But in my case it must have helped. I had a history of suicidal ideation connected with depression during a severe physical illness. The FAA asked for my personal statement and I wrote it telling my story from my point of view and I was issued so yes, I believe it is definitely considered and might help your case. That is if you are honest and don’t try to ******** them and the rest of your situation is resolvable. I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to clarify what happened since they know about it anyway, right?

Unless one of the AMEs comes along and sez I’m wrong.

Thank you for your reply!

Thankfully, the documentation has not yet been submitted to the FAA. My HIMS AME was adamant that we get my "file" as clean and clear as possible before we submit. They were actually the one to help me get a lot of those incorrect diagnoses removed to begin with, since I had no idea that I was able to actually dispute these things - since I'm not a medical professional by any means, and don't know as much as actual medical professionals about these things.

I have only been calling it "suicide almost attempt" as that's what it was on the medical record. Is this something I can clarify on my personal statement?

Anyone here who has been on the forum for any length of time knows where to go. You want answers, guidance and odds of successful completions.

aeromedicaldoc.com is Dr. Chien
He is a mod on the site and probably has already read your post. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the assistance here!!!

What about just going sport pilot?

I am wanting to go full commercial because I want to make a career of this. I've done extensive research on the costs, hours, etc, and have discussed the future of being a pilot to other current and former pilots I've known through family/friends.

You ask if you can:

“mention in my personal statement that this "suicide almost-attempt" is completely incorrect? Will my personal statement on this even be considered with that on my record?”

Are you saying the FAA has asked you to provide a personal statement? If so then by all means, I think telling them the exact details of exactly how that came about might help.

I am only one case and YMMV and I’m not an AME. But in my case it must have helped. I had a history of suicidal ideation connected with depression during a severe physical illness. The FAA asked for my personal statement and I wrote it telling my story from my point of view and I was issued so yes, I believe it is definitely considered and might help your case. That is if you are honest and don’t try to ******** them and the rest of your situation is resolvable. I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to clarify what happened since they know about it anyway, right?

Unless one of the AMEs comes along and sez I’m wrong.

Part of the HIMS AME checklist the FAA provides on their website requests that the pilot provide a personal statement regarding treatment, effectiveness, etc, etc, etc. It's a lot, but my biggest worry is someone even seeing the word suicide and "tossing my appeal in the trash." I know that's they won't literally throw it away, but I mean not really look at it. Realistically it's just me being worrisome about this, since it's going to be extremely important to me, and will quite literally change my life.

Anyone here who has been on the forum for any length of time knows where to go. You want answers, guidance and odds of successful completions in your favor.

aeromedicaldoc.com is Dr. Chien
He is a mod on the site and probably has already read your post. Good luck.

I will look into their assistance. Thank you for the referral! I've lurked this site a little bit, but otherwise brand new.

Thank you everyone for the assistance here!!!

I am wanting to go full commercial because I want to make a career of this. I've done extensive research on the costs, hours, etc, and have discussed the future of being a pilot to other current and former pilots I've known through family/friends.

Part of the HIMS AME checklist the FAA provides on their website requests that the pilot provide a personal statement regarding treatment, effectiveness, etc, etc, etc. It's a lot, but my biggest worry is someone even seeing the word suicide and "tossing my appeal in the trash." I know that's they won't literally throw it away, but I mean not really look at it. Realistically it's just me being worrisome about this, since it's going to be extremely important to me, and will quite literally change my life.

I will look into their assistance. Thank you for the referral! I've lurked this site a little bit, but otherwise brand new.

Good luck and I hope it doesn’t cost or take too much.

After joining here I’m afraid if I sneeze too loud lol

Have you considered other careers?

I'll likely return to what I was doing before, software engineering. It'll be pretty disheartening, but I didn't initiate this process without understanding the risks and costs associated.

Good luck and I hope it doesn’t cost or take too much.

After joining here I’m afraid if I sneeze too loud lol

Thank you for the positive wishes! I'll be revising my personal statement (this is all before submission to the FAA) to specifically detail the root cause of the issue on my record.

I totally understand that, though, haha!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back