Off Angle Inclinometer

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
In the C182 I've been flying, I'm disappointed in the indications of the inclinometer. My inner ear and ball do not agree.

Thinking over the issue, I came to the conclusion that my viewing angle must be the cause of the problem. I cannot get the right indication. This is a rental. Is there anything I can do to make the adjustment for me?

What kind of indication are you getting? Is the ball centered from your viewing angle, when on flat surface on the ground?

Its slightly to right in flight and it's OK on the ground (barely) causing my distrust of its indication. Right rudder to center and we begin to slip in cruise.

The panel holes in which the ball instruments are mounted are usually elongated (slotted) to permit small adjustments if they become necessary.

I'd thought adjustment is possible then CFI said that it is a gravity driven indicator. Guess I was born last-night.:mad:

How's about this: Ask a couple other rental pilots and/or company instructors to pay specific attention to the indicator and see what they think. Majority rules!

...and above all,
FLY SAFE!

The purpose of the slots is to permit gravity to do its job. Also bear in mind that the airplane (or the rudder and/or aileron tabs) could be slightly out of rig, and the sensations you feel relative to ball position are inaccurate. Without rudder trim, the fixed tabs are bent so that ball position is ~centered at some speed that approximates normal cruise.

I'd thought adjustment is possible then CFI said that it is a gravity driven indicator. Guess I was born last-night.:mad:

Its slightly to right in flight and it's OK on the ground (barely) causing my distrust of its indication. Right rudder to center and we begin to slip in cruise.

If the ball is centered, why do you think you are slipping?

Personally, I think if its OK on the ground on a flat level surface, but not in flight, you aren't using enough rudder.

Try the "yaw string" trick next time you fly. See if the string indicates the same as the ball.

Youe CFI must work for Microsoft. The answer is technically correct and completely useless. The inclinometer should be adjusted so that when the airplane is level on the ground, the ball is centered.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Youe CFI must work for Microsoft. The answer is technically correct and completely useless. The inclinometer should be adjusted so that when the airplane is level on the ground, the ball is centered.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the time when I was in the Navy on the Midway. The EA-3 comes back aboard and the write up is "G-Meter will not reset to zero". :rofl:

Had a hell of a time trying to explain to the LCDR that it resets to "one", not zero.

Finally the Chief came in and took care of it.

Reminds me of the time when I was in the Navy on the Midway. The EA-3 comes back aboard and the write up is "G-Meter will not reset to zero". :rofl:

Had a hell of a time trying to explain to the LCDR that it resets to "one", not zero.

Finally the Chief came in and took care of it.

Chiefs are good at explaining things to officers, aren't they?:D

Back