# of routing changes mid-flight

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
On the way to PVG (2 hours flight) I had 4 (four) routing changes -- when I checked in with the last Potomac controller I said "Me, level at 7 thousand, ready to copy new routing..."

He replied, "This one will be good -- direct Hampton Roads Exec..."

Wasn't too painful, but I was SPIFR in benign conditions. Would have been a bit more annoying in solid IMC.

when I checked in with the last Potomac controller I said "Me, level at 7 thousand, ready to copy new routing..."

He replied, "This one will be good -- direct Hampton Roads Exec..."

That's funny!! You actually were expecting another reroute!! Cool that the new controller understood the humor and gave you something good out of it--direct is good!!

That's funny!! You actually were expecting another reroute!! Cool that the new controller understood the humor and gave you something good out of it--direct is good!!

Yeah, I could tell he thought it was funny...

Potomac wasn't too busy in that sector at that time, fortunately...

Routes and re-routes... I picked up a PDC out of PVD yesterday. Called clearance about 5 seconds later to ask about delays (the whole area was a bit messed up) and instead I got "I have a full route clearance for you advise ready to copy". Me - no, I just got my PDC, just asking about delays... ATC - "You can discard that clearance, it's changed already, advise ready to copy". sigh. Glad I checked before we called for taxi, as that was a massive reroute that required some digging to find fix names and re-program the FMS. And of course it all changed once we got off to Departure.

I had a CLC delivery from Pax approach that mumbled. I'm pretty good on the radio, but I could not understand this guy!

I had him repeat everything -- twice.

He gave me "good readback" and then I realized -- he never gave me a squawk code.

Back to CLC freq and get the squawk -- which was promptly changed by Washington.

Must've been a new guy...

"Sorry, unable yet another route change - you have use all my remaining paper with the previous ones" :D

"Sorry, unable yet another route change - you have use all my remaining paper with the previous ones" :D

Let us know how that works out for ya'...

But seriously, out where Dave is, the controllers ask him what he wants, and they give it to him.

Let us know how that works out for ya'...

sometimes I wonder if we should write on the perspex with dry erase markers ike those helo guys at t82; not a bad idea!

But seriously, out where Dave is, the controllers ask him what he wants, and they give it to him.

yup, its all how you tell em, "Lissen, abq center. I want this altitude, this route, an I wannit now, mister!"

On a local board to the DC area, I had asked about an expected routing (IFR) around the FRZ and got good responses/suggestions. I had 3 changes each way:

KLOM - KRMN

This is what I filed IFR for:

KLOM MXE V29 DQO V433 OTT KRMN @ 6000

This is the clearance issued to me:

KLOM MXE V408 ROBRT AML KRMN @ 6000

This is what I was recleared for shortly after departure:

KLOM MXE V408 (RECLEARD DIRECT TO...) BAL OTT VRB KRMN @ 6000

Great Flight, Smooth with 1.1 IMC.

On the way back:

This is what I filed IFR for:

KRMN OTT V433 DQO V29 MXE KLOM @ 7000

This is what the clearance issued to me was:

KRMN BRV OTT OTT020 ADW070 PALEO V433 DQO V29 MXE KLOM @ 5000

This is what I was recleared to once airborne:

KRMN BRV OTT ENO V29 MXE KLOM @ 5000

-Shane

i feel sorry for your east coasters. in my entire life of flying IFR I think i've gotten maybe 4 reroutes total. but only 2 that i can really recall. Its nice living in the land of cleared as filed.

i feel sorry for your east coasters. in my entire life of flying IFR I think i've gotten maybe 4 reroutes total. but only 2 that i can really recall. Its nice living in the land of cleared as filed.

ATC seems to define "East Coast" as anything east of Laurel Ridge (The westernmost ridge in the Alleghenies.

As long as I stay west of that feature, I haven't had a routing change -- flying IFR as far as Phoenix.

Flying in the east, it's kinda of a special little game.

:rollercoaster:

I got four reroutes in one round trip from Boston to DC. Three on the way down, and one on the way back. I was seriously running out of paper!

I got two reroutes on a recent flight from HPN-CLT (plus the original clearance given to me was wrong and it took them 20 minutes on the phone to fix it), then on the return trip another two reroutes (original clearance was direct destination - I knew that was too good to be true when CD gave it back to me cleared as filed!)

At least I'm getting plenty of practice with the GNS-480!

Pretty easy from here in the D/FW unless the weather is poor. The most trouble I seem to have is when I fly to Florida and get over the AF bases in the panhandle. Eglin: guaranteed around the restricted area and, ofter times more; Tyndall MOAs can go either way. I have received up to five reroutes going through there. The good part is it's still faster than taking the airways and with all the reroutes, I've gotten to know the fixes pretty well.

It's always bad to get reroutes in busy airspace, single pilot in bad weather. If I can see that coming, I really spend time with the charts before I launch. Want to know at least where the airways and VORs are besides busy airspace. I've noticed controllers seem to be better at spelling intersection names when rerouting.

Headed back out that-a-way the end of this week.

Best,

Dave

I live in the DC area and I just expect it to change. I never expect to get what I file and I find it easier to think it will change.

Back