Odd Traffic

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
We encountered some traffic near dusk last Sunday that I am still wondering about. Maybe one of you has a better understanding.

We were IFR at 6,000 ft, approximately 25 miles west of ST. Louis, heading 030 at 142 kts gs & 155 tas. There was a solid deck a few hundred feet below us with the ceiling at 900'. We were talking to St. Louis Approach inbound for landing at Spirit of St. Louis (KSUS), on the west edge of the metropolitan area, and the only other traffic on the wire were jets.

It was a nasty evening to be out in a GA aircraft without K-ice as there were 5K feet of icy clouds to contend with. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would be up & not filed.

We spotted traffic at 12:30, slightly above us. The aircraft was properly lit with nav lights and beacon. I called it in and center replied with "negative traffic in area". We were closing on the traffic but not at a speed that indicated opposite direction travel and it's position certainly was not changing relative to N&S.
Now, I'm not traveling fast enough to be overtaking anybody that I could hear on the frequency and we were clearly hearing both sides of every transmission center was engaged in. I told the controller that I definitely had traffic at my 1 o'clock, 500 above me and closing. "No known traffic-not showing any traffic in the area" was the reply.

My partner stayed in visual contact with the aircraft as we passed it and he deduced that it was flying very slowly eastward. Like less than half our speed. Short fuselage. long wings.

As we passed it I became busy calculating and communicating our need for a steep and late descent to the IAF that was east of SUS. We picked up more than a cocktails glass worth of ice but otherwise the approach was uneventful.

Talking to my son today, who is just out of the Air Force, he suggested that we saw a drone. What do you think?

We encountered some traffic near dusk last Sunday that I am still wondering about. Maybe one of you has a better understanding.

We were IFR at 6,000 ft, approximately 25 miles west of ST. Louis, heading 030 at 142 kts gs & 155 tas. There was a solid deck a few hundred feet below us with the ceiling at 900'. We were talking to St. Louis Approach inbound for landing at Spirit of St. Louis (KSUS), on the west edge of the metropolitan area, and the only other traffic on the wire were jets.

It was a nasty evening to be out in a GA aircraft without K-ice as there were 5K feet of icy clouds to contend with. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would be up & not filed.

We spotted traffic at 12:30, slightly above us. The aircraft was properly lit with nav lights and beacon. I called it in and center replied with "negative traffic in area". We were closing on the traffic but not at a speed that indicated opposite direction travel and it's position certainly was not changing relative to N&S.
Now, I'm not traveling fast enough to be overtaking anybody that I could hear on the frequency and we were clearly hearing both sides of every transmission center was engaged in. I told the controller that I definitely had traffic at my 1 o'clock, 500 above me and closing. "No known traffic-not showing any traffic in the area" was the reply.

My partner stayed in visual contact with the aircraft as we passed it and he deduced that it was flying very slowly eastward. Like less than half our speed. Short fuselage. long wings.

As we passed it I became busy calculating and communicating our need for a steep and late descent to the IAF that was east of SUS. We picked up more than a cocktails glass worth of ice but otherwise the approach was uneventful.

Talking to my son today, who is just out of the Air Force, he suggested that we saw a drone. What do you think?

To the best of my knowledge............ Drones should have a transponder.. and squawking...

Last edited:
A drone would be known by ATC, talking and squawking. Most drones are pushers, Predator and Reaper.

Hard to believe a motor glider would be out there in those conditions.

Some idiot overflying the clouds long distance?

Well, they should have had a primary target unless it was a composite, which it may have been, considering the "long wing" description.

But, why is he an idiot?

If he was below 10,000', had adequate cloud clearance, and a VFR destination, then it's a completely legal flight. I used to do it all the time when I was regularly traveling...except that I was always squawking.

Last edited:
Some idiot overflying the clouds long distance?
very common in the Midwest. Being from California you probably don't get it. In the middle of the country it is easy to file a pop-up to get down at the destination if things don't pan out VFR.

I have also done VFR over the top, but have to have a plan b in mind before I start the engine. That is usually a confident understanding of where the better weather is and if W&B allows it I am full fuel which in the Arrow gives me almost 7 hours of flying time with a reserve.

It could have been a slow VFR flight, and that was my thought. But no transponder, negative radar, getting dark, widespread (at least several states) area of icy cloud layers with ceilings below 1,000 ft??

It was like encountering someone sitting on the beach, like in a Corona commercial, while pulling my sled in after a day of ice-fishing. Just bizarre; and the controller, who was not very busy, was so nonchalant.

Thanks for your thoughts. Obviously, I will never know.

Could have been a composite light sport flying VFR,who didn't want a lot of attention.

But, why is he an idiot?

I used to do it all the time when I was regularly traveling...except that I was always squawking.

He wasn't talking to anyone, didn't have a transponder (at least, not on), at night, and had a mile of ice below him. That's an idiotic combination. Especially the last part.

If anything went wrong, he could dump in a lake with heavy ice and no one would ever even know it.

Flying over clouds by itself is not idiotic. I do it over mountain obscuration all the time. But squawking with VFR advisories and in daylight. Just, have an out. A popup IFR clearance can certainly qualify, as can having a visual on the far edge. Neither of these "outs" were available to the VFR pilot under the given circumstances.

And I'm surprised I have to remind people that legal and smart aren't necessarily the same thing. It's legal to hop in an unfamiliar single engine land plane under 12500 lb. solo after 23 months of no flying whatsoever.

Last edited:
very common in the Midwest. Being from California you probably don't get it. In the middle of the country it is easy to file a pop-up to get down at the destination if things don't pan out VFR.

Not with a mile of ice below you in a non-FIKI aircraft.

If you were within 25 NM of STL (a class B airport), that would fall within the Mode C veil.

Primary radar is not perfect, and that is an understatement. In the ARTCC world, it's common to lose primary returns on an aircraft if they are angled a certain way from the main bang. In the TRACON world, radar returns are marginally better. A slow moving aircraft can be mistaken for obstructions the radar picks up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Depends on where you are going. If you aren't equipped to deal with the ice then it makes no difference if you fly over it IFR or VFR. It only matters what the weather is like at the destination. From the OP's description it is impossible to infer anything about what he saw.

Could it have been a law enforcement mission (probably Federal) where they don't want to confirm the presence of the aircraft over an open frequency?

Ron Wanttaja

If you have an engine failure at night that probably wouldn't matter much. It's going to be a bad deal either way, especially if he was still over urban areas.

He wasn't talking to anyone, didn't have a transponder (at least, not on), at night, and had a mile of ice below him. That's an idiotic combination. Especially the last part.
I don't feel that flying VFR above a cloud layer at night is any more dangerous than doing so during the day.

I also don't view flying above clouds that contain ice to be any more dangerous than flying over hundreds of square miles of unbroken forest or water or urban areas. Two of which I do regularly out of necessity. If something goes wrong in any of those scenarios you're likely screwed. Those are risks we face and either choose to accept...or not...

I personally wouldn't fly without a transponder but it's done all the time in this area. But, if one were to do it, then it's probably safer at night since traffic is a lot easier to see at night...and one seldom needs advisories.

As Mark mentioned though, if this indeed occurred 25 miles W of KSTL then it was inside the mode C veil.

I still don't see this flight as anywhere near idiotic if he was outside the veil and IF he had a VMC destination.

Last edited:
If you have an engine failure at night that probably wouldn't matter much. It's going to be a bad deal either way, especially if he was still over urban areas.

I don't feel that flying VFR above a cloud layer at night is any more dangerous than doing so during the day.

I also don't view flying above clouds that contain ice to be any more dangerous than flying over hundreds of square miles of unbroken forest or water or urban areas. Two of which I do regularly out of necessity. If something goes wrong in any of those scenarios you're likely screwed. Those are risks we face and either choose to accept...or not...

I personally wouldn't fly without a transponder but it's done all the time in this area. But, if one were to do it, then it's probably safer at night since traffic is a lot easier to see at night...and one seldom needs advisories.

As Mark mentioned though, if this indeed occurred 25 miles W of KSTL then it was inside the mode C veil.

I still don't see this flight as anywhere near idiotic if he was outside the veil and IF he had a VMC destination.

100% agreed

Back