Odd(?) stall speeds

CRQFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CRQFlier
So I was looking through the AMD CH2000 operating manual and found the following MTOW no flap stall speed chart:

0 degrees bank - 48 KIAS
20 degrees bank - 58 KIAS
30 degrees bank - 72 KIAS
45 degrees bank - 104 KIAS

VNO is 108 KIAS and max power cruise at 4000' is 102 KTAS.

Compared to a 172 that you can crank over no problem going pretty slow, it seems like steep turns are basically not happening in this rig, right? Any other aircraft have a similar profile - haven't really looked beyond common planes.

45* bank should add something like 40% to the stall speed, as far as i remember.

555424F5-7566-4844-91BF-36F0E9FDF4CC.jpeg Your chart cant be right. Can you snap a pic of it?

View attachment 60082 Your chart cant be right. Can you snap a pic of it?
Screenshot from manufacturer website.
3aef97911d388d1e6d8bad38f818eeba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I can’t make sense of where those numbers came from. Is this a plane you are going to rent or get instruction in?
I know a guy who instructs in one, I can check with him and see if he’s seen this. Unless someone else here has an answer. But either way, that can’t be right.

I can’t make sense of where those numbers came from. Is this a plane you are going to rent or get instruction in?
I know a guy who instructs in one, I can check with him and see if he’s seen this. Unless someone else here has an answer. But either way, that can’t be right.
Was thinking about calling zenair to ask them. Planning to check one out in a couple weeks so been reading up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

So I was looking through the AMD CH2000 operating manual and found the following MTOW no flap stall speed chart:

0 degrees bank - 48 KIAS
20 degrees bank - 58 KIAS
30 degrees bank - 72 KIAS
45 degrees bank - 104 KIAS

VNO is 108 KIAS and max power cruise at 4000' is 102 KTAS.

Compared to a 172 that you can crank over no problem going pretty slow, it seems like steep turns are basically not happening in this rig, right? Any other aircraft have a similar profile - haven't really looked beyond common planes.

Stall speeds follow the square root load factor rule. Load factor in a 45 deg level bank turn is 1 / COS 45 = 1.41. Square root is 1.2. 1.2 x 48 KCAS (flaps down 0 deg) = 58 KCAS. So something looks pretty screwy about these stall speeds.

I found another CH2000 POH online with stall speeds that seem correct:

http://www.anythingaboutaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Zenith-CH2000-Flight-Manual.pdf

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hate to point out that those all look like EVEN stall speeds to me!
Even things can be odd. For example consider the case of two unicorns...

Page 5-25 of the current PHAK would be interesting reading for this conversation

"FAA certified aircraft" which has oddly even numbers in the POH? Somebody effed up big time.
Actually, at least two people effed up. The author of these numbers and the FAA reviewer. I wonder what the process for LSA POH is.

In either case, plenty of useful information in this thread to make you realize that those numbers should be taken with a giant grain (boulder) of salt. :)

Back