Odd Plane Sighting

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
Last night I went cruising by the airport and saw an odd looking twin. It was midsize bigger than a 310 but smaller than a 400 series. High wing, twin turboprop, a big pod on the end of each wing that sorta arced down, sat very low to the ground, and had big arcing main gear doors, conventional tail. Very cool looking and Im curious as to what it is. I tried to get the tail number but it was dark.

Yep, sounds like an MU-2.

Google RiceRocket. Interesting history, only a/c I know with its' own sfar.

Fast and relatively cheap for a twin turbo prop. Controversial history. Kinda like a Lancair. Speed, high wing loading and pilot inexperience isn't a good combination.

Fast and relatively cheap for a twin turbo prop. Controversial history. Kinda like a Lancair. Speed, high wing loading and pilot inexperience isn't a good combination.

I was just reading up on them and they do share a lot of similarities to the lancair. But 300 miles per hour isn't a bad cruise speed either.

MU-2 also has spoilers instead of ailerons so its roll angles have to be kept within the proper envelope or bad things can happen

MU-2 also has spoilers instead of ailerons so its roll angles have to be kept within the proper envelope or bad things can happen

This^^^^

One of the few aircraft that have a SFAR for mandatory training....think the other is a helo.

If I had a choice in a twin it would be the Piper Aerostar.

Back