Odd Notam

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
I sometimes pull up WX stuff for my old hometown just for fun, and saw this one today.

SJT 03/011 BBD 8/26 CLSD EXC TAILWHEEL ACFT/HEL

What does the BBD mean? Why would they notam a runway closed except tailwheel? I've never seen something like that before.

I sometimes pull up WX stuff for my old hometown just for fun, and saw this one today.

SJT 03/011 BBD 8/26 CLSD EXC TAILWHEEL ACFT/HEL

What does the BBD mean? Why would they notam a runway closed except tailwheel? I've never seen something like that before.

BBD is the airport identifier for Curtis Field at Brady, TX. Notams for BBD are listed under the identifier for SJT (San Angelo Regional). Runway 8/26 is turf and they apparently do not want tricycle gear aircraft landing on it.

Last edited:
BBD is the airport identifier for Curtis Field at Brady, TX. Notams for BBD are listed under the identifier for SJT (San Angelo Regional). Runway 8/26 is turf and they apparently do not want tricycle gear aircraft landing on it.

Why wouldn't you want tricycle gear aircraft landing on a turf runway? The only thing I can think of is that they're trying to limit the traffic on the runway for some reason, but recognize that it's easier to land a tailwheel on grass than pavement so they'll let them use the grass.

Why wouldn't you want tricycle gear aircraft landing on a turf runway? The only thing I can think of is that they're trying to limit the traffic on the runway for some reason, but recognize that it's easier to land a tailwheel on grass than pavement so they'll let them use the grass.

Down in these parts (at least the area near San Angelo) grass is but a dream. Most non-asphalt runways are dirt, or dirt with scrub. KJCT, for example, has a non-paved runway, I sure wouldn't land there with a tricycle gear aircraft.

I've no idea the reason they restrict tricycle gear. Just have to ask the management I guess.

Back