Odd Line on NY TAC

DJTorrente

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DJTorrente
This is kind of a training thing -- how to read a chart and all.

Looking at the recent NY TAC (85th ed., via Skyvector.com), there are dark blue lines radiating outward from the edges of the Class B airspace, tracing back to LGA VOR at 71°, 142°, 321°, 270°, & 328°. They are darker than the Class B boundaries themselves, and too dark to be V airways. They are not marked except by radial and origin. I don't see anything in the legend to say what they are.

Based on the chart margin, those are the sectors for ATC communications. 'Class B, Class C, TRSA and Selected Approach Control Frequencies'. Probably also listed in the A/FD somewhere.

This is kind of a training thing -- how to read a chart and all.

Looking at the recent NY TAC (85th ed., via Skyvector.com), there are dark blue lines radiating outward from the edges of the Class B airspace, tracing back to LGA VOR at 71°, 142°, 321°, 270°, & 328°. They are darker than the Class B boundaries themselves, and too dark to be V airways. They are not marked except by radial and origin. I don't see anything in the legend to say what they are.

I am not an expert but they appear to be IFR/ commercial airline airways that track back to the VOR... see arrows further out on each-

Based on the chart margin, those are the sectors for ATC communications. 'Class B, Class C, TRSA and Selected Approach Control Frequencies'. Probably also listed in the A/FD somewhere.

Correct and well done! They are indeed the boundaries for ATC approach control frequency sectors.

I am not an expert but they appear to be IFR/ commercial airline airways that track back to the VOR... see arrows further out on each-

No such thing exists. We all operate in the national airspace system. There are no special airways for anyone. Special use airspace is a subject for another day. In the meantime, familiarize yourself with FAR Part 91.

Bob Gardner

Bob Gardner

Back