Odd Jobs To Finance Training

WannaFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I am looking for ideas to help earn some extra money to help finance flight training. I have a good job but with it being the only income and 4 kids from 16 down :rofl:, there is not much room for extras at the moment. I had one person a little while ago (not here) tell me not to even bother trying to learn to fly with 4 kids.:confused:
I travel about once or twice a month for work (usually in the plane shown in my avitar) so I would love to be able to find something I can do while on the road and at home.
Has anyone had luck with anything?
Thanks for the advice.

Good luck on finding a way to finance flight training. I think its awesome that you want to learn how to fly. Hopefully when you do start flight training, your kids will want to learn too. Maybe you and the 16 yr old can do it together. :)

Is there any free time?? Some folks work line service, fueling etc on the side to earn extra bucks and hang out at the airport. If your name gets around you can probably score some flights with locals. Maybe get discounted rates on rentals with the FBO?

Some might see that kind of job as a step down, like if you were some big corp exec or something. Worth thinking about though. The closer you can be to the airport while picking up your spare cash, the better.

If you like animals (say, cats) I know folks that act as "pet foster homes" for people who are moving from a home to an apartment (think: foreclosures due to the market conditions) and who don't want to get rid of their animals but need someplace for them to live and be loved on for a few months til they get into a pet-friendly location.

Not saying it's for everybody--animals can tear up your home! But folks are paying $80/month per cat (and also providing the food and vet care). Put 5 cats in your home, you've got $400 of flying money, for very little work!

Limo driver! All cash, no reporting.
Better, find something that plays on the strengths of your day job. Maybe teaching evening school. In many cases, you can comp the teaching certificate because of the length of time on the job. Pay is good, you meet some nice people, and the hours aren't all that bad.
Another idea would be consulting. In my case, I primary job is in IT. I do websites offshift. I've also picked up some software consulting. Hours are good, and the pay is great.
Down side to a second job is finding the time to fly.

Back