Odd ATC Question

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Flying last night, I was asked something I've never been asked.

After our initial call, Center asked me if I could "maintain mountain, terrain and obstacle clearance" at 3000. This was after Center telling me to maintain VFR. We happened to be following a company aircraft that had departed for the same destination.

I had filed for 6000 and wanted to get above the cloud deck. I consulted the chart and replied back that I needed 4000' for the MOCA and MEA on V303 from HOT. At the time of the call I was off route direct to the VOR to join V303.

Center replied in an extremely annoyed tone "Your saying you can NOT maintain mountain, terrain and obstacle clearance at 3000', is that CORRECT!!"

I replied, "I can maintain clearance until HOT then I NEED 4000"

Center's reply was "Maintain 3000"

After about 15 minutes of no further instructions, I asked for 6000' and noticed that a different person happily cleared me to 6.

Also on initial call up he immediately asked, in a snarly tone, " Are you airborne yet?"

So was ATC in the wrong?

Last edited:
Flying last night, I was asked something I've never been asked.

After our initial call, Center asked me if I could "maintain mountain, terrain and obstacle clearance" at 3000. This was after Center telling me to maintain VFR. We happened to be following a company aircraft that had departed for the same destination.

I had filed for 6000 and wanted to get above the cloud deck. I consulted the chart and replied back that I needed 4000' for the MOCA and MEA on V303 from HOT. At the time of the call I was off route direct to the VOR to join V303.

Center replied in an extremely annoyed tone "Your saying you can NOT maintain mountain, terrain and obstacle clearance at 3000', is that CORRECT!!"

I replied "I can maintain clearance until HOT then I NEED 4000"

Center's reply was "Maintain 3000"

After about 15 minutes of no further instructions, I asked for 6000' and noticed that a different person happily cleared me to 6.

Also on initial call up he immediately asked, in a snarly tone, " Are you airborne yet?"

So was ATC in the wrong?

Affirmative.

You've got to say the magic words, "Yes I can." :rolleyes: Then they'll give you an IFR clearance.

dtuuri

Sounds like you were looking to pick up your IFR airborne correct? If you're below their MIA (3,000) and they believe you aren't going to be able to maintain VMC to that MIA, then they have to ask that question. "N12345, are you able to provide your own terrain and obstruction clearance requirement from your present altitude until reaching 3,000 ft?"

Some will ask the question regardless of your current weather situation just to protect their butts. Used to get asked all the time when I picked up a local IFR while below their MIA at OZR.

You've got to say the magic words, "Yes I can." :rolleyes: Then they'll give you an IFR clearance.

dtuuri

Around the same time, he gave a guy a 5 minute Void Time. He basically said "you have five minutes to get airborne".

Sounds like you were looking to pick up your IFR airborne correct? If you're below their MIA (3,000) and they believe you aren't going to be able to maintain VMC to that MIA, then they have to ask that question. "N12345, are you able to provide your own terrain and obstruction clearance requirement from your present altitude until reaching 3,000 ft?"

Some will ask the question regardless of your current weather situation just to protect their butts. Used to get asked all the time when I picked up a local IFR while below their MIA at OZR.

Is there a way to find out this altitude for the area? I know the MVA around our field about 25nm south is 2400'.

Is there a way to find out this altitude for the area? I know the MVA around our field about 25nm south is 2400'.

Ask the controller what the MVA is in their area or take a tour of the facility and they can bring up their MVA map on the scope.

Nothing preventing you from asking for your IFR below their MVA though. That's why that procedure is in the .65 to ask you if you can maintain clearance until reaching their MIA. If so, they'll clear you. If not "maintain VFR."

Next time you call, if you're already above 3,000 ft, you won't get asked that question and the clearance will probably be immediate.

Last edited:

A bit more than belief is needed before it's required, the controller has to be aware that the pilot is unable to climb in VFR conditions to the MIA. I made it a point to never be aware of that.

After our initial call, Center asked me if I could "maintain mountain, terrain and obstacle clearance" at 3000.

I also got the same question when picking up a clearance soon after departing KGLE VFR. Also when I filed for 3000MSL.

I answered "Yes", but also thought that the controller wasn't that familiar with this area since except for an area near Tioga, TX, 3000 keeps you well clear of the mountains.

I also got the same question when picking up a clearance soon after departing KGLE VFR. Also when I filed for 3000MSL.

I answered "Yes", but also thought that the controller wasn't that familiar with this area since except for an area near Tioga, TX, 3000 keeps you well clear of the mountains.

The altitude is irrelevant, it's legal boilerplate. See Slide #34, "ATC Stands for Air Traffic Control-ALT-Delete" ;)

dtuuri

Back