Odd ADSB Ping

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Went for a flight this morning. The ADSB log on flightaware looks normal except for one ping from a station that only pinged me once. It showed a momentary speed of 422 mph at about 3,000 AGL in the RV-6.

Um, not with the wings attached...

Anyone else see an odd blip or two in their ADSB data?

Yeah, I’m not sure. I was looking at FF the other day on my phone and got this screenshot. That’s one fast Cherokee….orrrrr something is up with the reporting.

Disclaimer: the observed aircraft isn’t mine and I am not affiliated with the aircraft in any way. I just saw it on foreflight.

2A41CBBD-DFB8-405E-9092-1952A0BB3418.png

Flightaware is sometimes inaccurate. Have gaps in their data and it tries to piece it together. And that's where foreflight was getting it's information. Here's that track on the aforementioned warrior.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N30382/history/20211120/1806Z/KGEU/KGEU/tracklog
FWIW, that was a multilateration track, not ADS-B.

That said, I've seen flightaware have issues with crossing tracks on a couple of occasions, usually when fusing radar and ADS-B data, where my plane's track gets spliced together with another plane's track. I also saw some random 172 in the flight levels, maybe due to a bogus encoder...

I think there's a huge difference between ADS-B in traffic, that you see when flying, and traffic that you see in Foreflight/FlightAware when you're connected to the internet. FlightAware uses a fusion of data from both ADS-B ground stations and MLAT stations. I suspect ADS-B data, fused with geometric data flow from MLAT is always gonna have anomalies, due to the susceptibility of ADS-B "data dropout", especially from aircraft flying at lower altitudes.

Back