Ocular Migraine Special Issuance

T

TB4061

Hello,

I get migraine headaches with aura and blind spots about 3 to 4 times a year. I very much want to become a pilot however I'm concerned I won't pass the medical. Does anyone know what the requirements are to receive a Special Issuance for this condition? Has anyone received an SI with a similar condition?

FAA's AME handbook is available on line. First thing to do is to download it and search for your condition. That will give you the official line; an experienced AME can interpret from there as necessary.

Thanks for your reply airdale. I checked the guidelines and the AME is instructed to defer. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the likelihood of receiving an SI as I've heard the process can take a while.

Next action is to stop posting in public and contact a Senior AME for a consult. For example, Dr Bruce Chien at aeromedicaldoc.com

Using the search function found a post from Dr. Bruce Chien about migraines accompanied by an ocular event. Cutting and pasting...

"The visual event can only occur once per month, cannot be in the central visual field etc. A negative MRI is required..."

And I found a link to the AME Guide on Headaches: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/ha/

So, TB4061, there is a path for certification, and it might be a Special Issuance Certification. But it requires the guidance of a good AME who has done these before and is willing to say "Go to these type of docs and get examined for this and bring me a report that contains details on those." And then when you return, be your advocate when you submit to the FAA.

We have two good AME's who will do this, Dr. Lou ____ (don't recall his last name or contact info), and Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Reach out to one or both of them and they will get you started.

Thanks AggieMike88. I didn't realize it's important to find an AME with experience in these matters.

Thanks AggieMike88. I didn't realize it's important to find an AME with experience in these matters.
It can help. Like many professions, you want the best one for the job in your team, especially when the path to success has its share of challenges. The app Ishtar AME will make sure you don't waste time or money getting the wrong exams or reports. And the right AME can evaluate your case and advise on your submission so you won't wind up in deferral hell or worse, denied.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back