Obverse of new bill....

Dave Krall CFII said:
Very cute.
What is a kafir, dare I ask?

If you go to Wiki you can read about the controversy of what it means. First it is not to be confused with the Afrikaans term 'kaffir'.

I think it is safe to say that in this case 'kafir' is simply an unbeliver or infidel. The controversy is about how vulger or inapropriate the term really is.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Very cute.
What is a kafir, dare I ask?
I was curious about that as well. I think Israel has a fighter called the Kafir.:dunno:

I was close. It's the Kfir-C2.

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
If you go to Wiki you can read about the controversy of what it means. First it is not to be confused with the Afrikaans term 'kaffir'.

I think it is safe to say that in this case 'kafir' is simply an unbeliver or infidel. The controversy is about how vulger or inapropriate the term really is.

Scott, After having lived in the sandbox for 18 months, and serving with some of those indigenous troops, I can tell you that the term is no more vulgar or inappropriate than calling someone a dork.

I always shut down religion conversations in my section while in KSA because that's one of the things that people get passionate about and the RSN Captain who ran that side of the shop always called me a smart kafir - because I was on top of the sensitivity curve in HIS COUNTRY. I respected him, his rank and his common sense. I think he did the same for me.

F.W. Birdman said:
Scott, After having lived in the sandbox for 18 months, and serving with some of those indigenous troops, I can tell you that the term is no more vulgar or inappropriate than calling someone a dork.

Not disagreeing with you.

I was pointing out that on Wiki there seems to be a controversy about if it is vulger or not. Having been in Lebanon cira 1983 and other parts of the sandbox, I have heard it used in the 'dork' context as well. I have heard people trying to make it out to be worse but I usually just laughed it off as I did not respect the person throwing it out at me as an insult anyway. I was assuming that you were doing the same and wearing it more as a badge of honor.

smigaldi said:
Not disagreeing with you.

I was pointing out that on Wiki there seems to be a controversy about if it is vulger or not. Having been in Lebanon cira 1983 and other parts of the sandbox, I have heard it used in the 'dork' context as well. I have heard people trying to make it out to be worse but I usually just laughed it off as I did not respect the person throwing it out at me as an insult anyway. I was assuming that you were doing the same and wearing it more as a badge of honor.

Pax Vobiscum dhimmi.

smigaldi said:

What's vulgar or not may be prejudged to the extent it doesn't matter much what one says in many situations. Once I thanked my new "Friendly Canucks" for some inside information on fantastic beach landing locations in Canada after having an outstanding series of flights to those beaches due to their help via another aviation forum.

Of course those particular Canucks were fine with it as they knew the friendly Yankee obviously meant well but, a bunch of others had problems with the term varying from non-PC to in-bad-taste. I figure if it's good enough for their hockey team it's good enough for anybody.

Back