Obtaining my own insurance (Low time)

blue@172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
blue@172
I am a new private pilot with around 150 hours total time. I have a relative that owns a Cessna and I have flown with them on occasion. They have indicated that until I have 300 hours I would have to be a named insured on their policy in order to fly it myself. Can I purchase my own insurance policy that would cover me as a low time pilot when flying a plane that is owned by someone else?

No. But you can be named on the owners policy and pay the difference in premiums which should equal in costs to having your own policy. Check hull value to ensure it is in line with today’s market.

Yes. You can buy a non-owned policy (often referred to as Renter's Insurance) that will cover you when you are operating someone else's aircraft. The problem is that your policy does nothing for the owner. Let's say you do something negligent and cause harm to someone else. Your non-owned policy will protect you for your liability - but the aircraft owner could get sued for having allowed you to use the aircraft. Their policy won't respond if you aren't an approved pilot on that policy, so the owner should NOT let you use their aircraft unless you are an approved pilot on that policy.

Back