Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Iflyacrj

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Iflyacrj
Anybody else who has OSA?

Who cares where this is sent from?

Many of us have it. Relatively few have been officially diagnosed or have the knowledge to recognize that we have it. OSA as a condition has effects reaching far beyond what one may suspect, with effects on the heart, lungs and brain.
Look up submucosal radiofrequency tongue base ablation as a treatment. Better yet, loose weight.

Welcome to PoA!!!!

Ditto what Matthew said. And I too don't know what you meant by "Who cares where this is sent from"

OSA, once diagnosed, is a condition that requires a special issuance for your medical. But once obtained, it's an easy one to comply with and renew.

Tell us more about your situation and what it is you wish to know and we will do our best to guide you.

Iflyacrj; said:
Who cares where this is sent from?

Perhaps an dig at those who's posts end with -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that the OP wants to keep this quiet?

The unreg poster alluded to many of us having it, but either not reporting it or not admitting it.

Once you have the diagnosis, you pretty much have to report it or lie.

But with the diagnosis it's a simple SI. The problem is, most AMEs will defer to OKC for the first time issuance and you could be waiting for months to get that SI back. Some AMEs might be able to work the system to expedite, but there's only one that I personally know of who has that clout and initiative.

The first time issuance is the biggest headache. After that, it's very simple to renew.

Counterpoint to the surgery or lose weight comment above, CPAP is the gold standard for treatment of OSA, and the only one recognized by the FAA.
Tongue ablation is said to hurt like hell and effectiveness is not that high. Weight, while a factor, can be a minor factor. It doesn't change my symptoms from my lightest (BMI of 24) to my heaviest (BMI of 32).

Counterpoint to the surgery or lose weight comment above, CPAP is the gold standard for treatment of OSA, and the only one recognized by the FAA.
Tongue ablation is said to hurt like hell and effectiveness is not that high. Weight, while a factor, can be a minor factor. It doesn't change my symptoms from my lightest (BMI of 24) to my heaviest (BMI of 32).

UPPP surgery is another surgical treatment. The problems with surgery is it does hurt, bad, and OSA tends to recur.

Greg said it right - CPAP is the gold standard. It's easy, non-invasive, but FAA does want to know you are using it, so you'll have to print out a report from the machine every year and that is no big deal.

If you think you have OSA get a sleep study. If they tell you to get a CPAP, do it.

It'll make your next FAA medical a bit of a hassle, but a good AME can minimize that.

I've had an OSA SI for years ... many years ... it's a tiny little bit of added hassle, like - annual physical instead of every 2 years (3 years for the young pups), and a visit to my primary care physician before my FAA physical to discuss my compliance with and efficacy of CPAP, then a letter from him stating same that I hand carry into my AME. So, not much of a hassle.

The CPAP printouts and reports, Maintenance of Wakefulness tests and other stuff I read associated with OSA have not happened to me (yet, knock wood).

I changed that signature. Not sure why it showed up.
I do have OSA and possess an SI. I use a CPAP and feel better than I ever did. I fly Part 121 for a regional carrier. I'm not obese. Just born with a slightly large tongue and small airway.
Unfortunately undiagnosed, has damn adverse affect on my career.

I changed that signature. Not sure why it showed up.
I do have OSA and possess an SI. I use a CPAP and feel better than I ever did. I fly Part 121 for a regional carrier. I'm not obese. Just born with a slightly large tongue and small airway.
Unfortunately undiagnosed, has damn adverse affect on my career.
Welcome aboard, Captain.

I don't fit the profile either and probably had OSA for many, many years before finally getting diagnosed and getting it taken care of.

Welcome aboard, Captain.

I don't fit the profile either and probably had OSA for many, many years before finally getting diagnosed and getting it taken care of.

Thanks
But believe it or not, I'm not a captain. My airline downgraded me due to poor performance which is when I found out it was caused by OSA. But my CP doesn't believe OSA caused my poor performance
Pretty sad

Thanks
But believe it or not, I'm not a captain. My airline downgraded me due to poor performance which is when I found out it was caused by OSA. But my CP doesn't believe OSA caused my poor performance
Pretty sad

Is it possible to regain the ground you lost? By what means? Will your superiors say, "If you can do this, this, and this, plus do that for extra credit, we can reinstate what you gave up."???

I've shown them sleep study results, sleep tech and doctors notes. The doctor classified it as moderate to borderline severe. Yet, I was told the CP is not convinced that OSA was the cause of my training struggles. I even offered to submit letters from CAs I've flown with but I was told they weren't interested in the letters and their mind was made up and nothing I or anyone can do will change it.
Most of my life, people would think I was bit slow or ADD or a space cadet, airhead etc etc
After consulting with an ENT, who told me the cause, (previous post) it is apparent that I have had OSA since childhood. That also explained, in flying or life in general, it always took me twice as long to learn and get a grasp on things and that anything I set out to do, didn't come easy. Now I know why.

One year. It took a while to get my waiver for the SI. I returned from medical leave in early October. Got caught in the government shut down

One year. It took a while to get my waiver for the SI. I returned from medical leave in early October. Got caught in the government shut down

Good luck to you. That's about all I know to say. It does seem like there is a history that others are judging you by that you now have to overcome.

There's a history of struggles but now I know why. If I knew how to overcome this, I would have done so already

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back