Observer pilot & safety pilot log time?!!!!

AL-MEHDAR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SAUDI PILOT
Dear all

We are two pilots (friends) doing renewal CPL IR on Multi aircraft DA42-NG.

Both of us hold a current 1st medical certificates + current written CPL IR exams + current ELP + current AIP written exam.

We always flown together (pilot flying + CFI + pilot observer). May I log as safety pilot time while he flown his session? Then may he log as safety pilot time while I flown my session ?

FYI, our CAA fallows FAA regulations 100%.

Is it legal or no?!!

Please advice?

Regards

Dear all

Both of us hold a current 1st medical certificates + current written CPL IR exams + current ELP + current AIP written exam.

We always flown together (pilot flying + CFI + pilot observer). May I log as safety pilot time while he flown his session? Then may he log as safety pilot time while I flown my session ?

Is it legal or no?!!

Please advice?

Regards

Sure, just follow the section in the FARs for observational PIC time, be sure to follow the back seat provision though (FARs say you have to be able to reach the controls to log it, so depends on your height). And why not throw another guy in the back too? then all four of you can log some sweet PIC time. Really you're wasting an empty seat there

Last edited:
I would think so, both have medical and the medical is what gives the Safty pilot the authority to act as PIC as long as he/she holds the ratings.

A medical doesn't give you "authority" to log anything.
Safety pilots require medicals and category and class ratings regardless of whether they are PIC or not.

If the flying pilot was in simulated instrument flight (i.e., had the hood on), then the safety pilot can log that time. Whether they can log it as PIC or not depends on whether they were indeed PIC.

I suspect BayAreaPilot is being sarcastic, but every thing he said there is wrong.

A medical doesn't give you "authority" to log anything.
Safety pilots require medicals and category and class ratings regardless of whether they are PIC or not.

If the flying pilot was in simulated instrument flight (i.e., had the hood on), then the safety pilot can log that time. Whether they can log it as PIC or not depends on whether they were indeed PIC.

I suspect BayAreaPilot is being sarcastic, but every thing he said there is wrong.

Both of you guys seem to be missing the question he's asking. He is asking if he, while sitting in the back seat with his friend in the front left and a CFI-II in the front right, can log PIC time as an observational pilot ("We always flown together (pilot flying + CFI + pilot observer")... medical certs are not factor and neither is the FAR 61.51(e)

I think my answer was perfectly on point for that question...

Dear all

Is it legal or no?!!

Please advice?

Regards

FYI, if you're not a native English speaker, it may not be clear to you that BayAreaFlyer was being sarcastic.

A pilot observer is just a passenger as far as the FAA is concerned and can't log anything.

In order for a safety pilot to log anything, he has to be at one of the control seats, and the pilot who is handling the controls has to be doing "simulated instrument flight," which means that he is wearing a hood or other view-limiting device to prevent him from seeing outside. In that case, the pilot handling the controls can log PIC time if he has the appropriate category and class ratings. The safety pilot can log during the time when flying pilot is wearing the view-limiting device. That can be second-in-command (SIC) time, or if the pilots agree that the safety pilot has the responsibility and authority for the conduct of the flight and if the safety pilot is qualified to act as PIC, then both the safety pilot and the pilot flying can log PIC time. Whenever the pilot flying takes the view-limiting device off, then only the pilot flying can log time.

More specifically, the safety pilot/SIC must be at the control seat, not that what seat you are in makes you able to log it.

It used to be that you could put a PILOT IN COMMAND ATP in the back seat and all three of you could log it, but the FAA revised the regs to only allow such time when the flight specifically required an ATP.

Last edited:
Back