Observations from AirVenture 2013

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
1. Has AirVenture peaked? That was the observation from a 20+ year veteran flight line ops guy.

2. Of all the GA planes I marshaled during the week, I only saw a single Commander (114 I think). The Commander line just looks like one of the most solid, big, single engine aircraft around.

3. I wonder what the attendance numbers will be announced. It seemed down to me. It could be the lack of military planes. But I wonder: is AirVenture too expensive? $28 for an EAA member is not inexpensive, but since most of us deal in AMUs, we accept it. But $43 for a daily ticket for a non-EAA member? How can the EAA draw the non-flying public into this event with that cost?

1. Has AirVenture peaked? That was the observation from a 20+ year veteran flight line ops guy.

2. Of all the GA planes I marshaled during the week, I only saw a single Commander (114 I think). The Commander line just looks like one of the most solid, big, single engine aircraft around.

3. I wonder what the attendance numbers will be announced. It seemed down to me. It could be the lack of military planes. But I wonder: is AirVenture too expensive? $28 for an EAA member is not inexpensive, but since most of us deal in AMUs, we accept it. But $43 for a daily ticket for a non-EAA member? How can the EAA draw the non-flying public into this event with that cost?

The pilot population has been declining for two decades. IIRC, it is down by 200,000 from the peak. The remaining pilot population is getting older. Older folks may have been there/done that or may not be up for walking 10 miles a day in the heat/cold/rain/thunderstorms. Many of them are probably beyond their camping days too. Those are fundamental facts pressuring the event.

Add the sequester and the loss of the military acts and the local (non-flying) yokels don't turn out. Why would anyone want to drive 2 hours from Chicago or an hour from Milwaukee to see a bunch of old airplanes?

Beyond those facts, there was no defining act or display this year to pull in the aviation enthusiast. Jet Man? Awful airshow act. It was an unrecognizable dot and barely audible.

Make the SOS bar topless and you'll get the numbers up again. ;)

I don't miss the military stuff at all. :no:

This is a show geared towards (supposedly) experimentals. I think the crowd and the numbers of home builts was up from previous years. The food was 100% improvement over the old vendors, prices for ice and food were "reasonable". It was a good show.

Last edited:
The entrance fee and parking ($10.00) are acceptable. But the low end chain motel located several miles away jumped from $80.00 (Sunday night) to $153.00 (Monday night) not counting $17.00 tax. So one day only for us.

Most of the fun stuff was taking place at the ultralight field.

I was in the N40 this year for 9 days and even met Jay Honeck briefly although I didn't make it to the Hops party. I felt like basically everybody else in the N40 is old enough to be my dad or older, but that has always been the case.

The air shows this year were pretty weak. Tora Tora Tora and the Texas warbirds guys (Zero, B-25, P-51, P-51, F4U, P-40) were good. I did see Fifi flying at high altitude during the day but they were strangely absent from airshow flying except on Saturday. All the Extra 300 acts were kinda boring and there were no jets outside the Harrier demo and one day with the L39s and TF-33.

The forums with Bob Hoover & Bud Anderson were good. The other forums were informative and there were too many to see them all, but unfortunately I don't think they are a huge draw to the non-pilot public.

I also enjoyed the vendor pavilions but some of the vendors were of questionable value.... Church of Scientology next to the Skyvector booth? Really?

I do feel like AirVenture is on kindof a decline. Unfortunately I don't have any solutions for fixing it. Same for the "pilot population" problem.

$43 for non-EAA member entry is expensive, I do know of atleast one person living in Oshkosh who decided not to go when they saw sticker shock at the ticket price. Add $10 to that for parking... more for food. I paid $7.50 for a crappy "cajun chicken" sandwich from Maj. Goolsby's at the Vintage diner or whatever it's called. It was a greasy slab of chicken, a tiny bit of red powder, and a soggy bun. I'm glad most of my meals were cooked by campfire or from sponsors (Thank-You IMC Club, Bendix-King, Lightspeed, AOPA!)

We all know flying is expensive. Young people these days have to be extremely focused and or fortunate to afford it and make it happen. Most young people are not extremely focused and it is easier to blow their money on a million things besides airplane rental and dual instruction.

I must say, this was one of the best OSH fly-ins in recent memory. The weather was actually cold a few nights, but this made for wonderful days in the 70s. Heaven!

I didn't miss the military stuff much, and felt that refocusing on the homebuilt side of the show was good and long overdue. Now, if only we could get Ford, John Deere, and the ladder guys off the field, we would have a real convention again.

I did not feel that attendance was down. The North 40 was just as full as recent years, attendance during the week was strong, and the Walmart/NASCAR crowd was there in full force Saturday. I'm at the point where I don't want to leave my site on Saturdays anymore, between fighting the 350-pounders on rental electric chairs and the mullet-&-tattoo crowd.

It was a great week. I can't wait for OSH '14!

Jay is just on his RV high right now.

I do think that this is the second or 3rd year in a row where the field didn't close due to lack of parking spaces. I remember a few years ago that people were camping east of the terminal building. Now that was crowded.

By and large I thought it was a good show. Didn't like the food choices or prices - worse than the past to me. Thought there should have been a LSA avenue. Vendors were good. Air show I could care less about. Modern military absence didn't bother me. FAA absence bothered me but I suppose they blame sequestration. I don't like what it may show about the FAA attitude to GA, but maybe it has always been that way. I didn't see much in the way of gliders.
I'll try to go next year and stay longer, but I'm one of the too old to camp crowd.

It's hard to estimate the crowd based on the north 40, but it looked thin to us. We arrived on Tuesday and saw many gaps where planes had presumably been parked but were never filled again. We thought the marginal weather on Tuesday and Wednesday probably had an effect on arrivals, as we were one of few inbounds during the noon pre-show arrival slot that is usually much busier.

I arrived around 10am Saturday morning 7/27 via the Fisk arrival and landed on 36. There were some converging planes near Fisk but I was already in a 3 ship formation behind some homebuilt doing ~165kt and a V-tail bonanza behind me about 10 miles out from Fisk. I had to run my Mooney J pretty hard to keep up but we did and didn't slow to 90 until we really had to.

Was parked in row 509 east of the Green showers. By the end of Sunday, planes were parked well past the Red showers. I stayed until Sunday morning 8/4. There were a few gaps that opened up during the week. Some got filled, some didn't. A few rows down from me, some guys in a Cessna Caravan with a belly pod showed up on Satuday.

Departing on Sunday 8/4 in the morning before the show was a piece of cake. Fired up the engine around 9:50am and taxiing out to 27 took no more than about 5-10 minutes.

I was in the N40 this year for 9 days

What row were you in?

Ooops, just saw your post above. I was in Row 504 right in front of Jay. I wish you would have come over and introduced yourself.

Last edited:
I arrived around 10am Saturday morning 7/27 via the Fisk arrival and landed on 36. There were some converging planes near Fisk but I was already in a 3 ship formation behind some homebuilt doing ~165kt and a V-tail bonanza behind me about 10 miles out from Fisk. I had to run my Mooney J pretty hard to keep up but we did and didn't slow to 90 until we really had to.

Was parked in row 509 east of the Green showers. By the end of Sunday, planes were parked well past the Red showers. I stayed until Sunday morning 8/4. There were a few gaps that opened up during the week. Some got filled, some didn't. A few rows down from me, some guys in a Cessna Caravan with a belly pod showed up on Satuday.

Departing on Sunday 8/4 in the morning before the show was a piece of cake. Fired up the engine around 9:50am and taxiing out to 27 took no more than about 5-10 minutes.

I would have stopped by. Next year we should put up a POA tent. I saw that caravan taxi in to park. I was surprised no tents blew away! I was in 526 a few rows past the food tent.

What row were you in?

Ooops, just saw your post above. I was in Row 504 right in front of Jay. I wish you would have come over and introduced yourself.

Be careful what you wish for, Diana. MSP is an early riser, and caught me on the way to the Portapotty at oh-dark-thirty, before coffee.

I'm afraid I may not have made a positive, or even coherent, first impression. :lol:

Numbers reported by the local station NBC 26:

821 Exhibitors
500,000 visitors
10,000 planes (local area, that means at least FonduLac to Green Bay, Waupaca to somewhere east)

http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/EAA-Airventure-numbers-218461271.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That seems like a lot, but it's one helluva lot cheaper than a daily ticket to visit NASA-Kennedy. IIRC that was $70 apiece, including children! :hairraise:

Was parked in row 509 east of the Green showers.

Hey, that's the row I was in! I had the Ovation parked on the east side of 509, second from the south end (I was the last plane in on Friday night). Didja see me?

Hey, that's the row I was in! I had the Ovation parked on the east side of 509, second from the south end (I was the last plane in on Friday night). Didja see me?

Yes I did! I didn't realize it was anybody from POA though. Mooney is my favorite airplane so I noticed them all. My memory is getting fuzzy now but nearby there was a Mooney from Canada and another one on the south end. In row 510 there was a green & white Mooney with a tall "Don't Tread on Me" flag flying.

I was towards the middle of row 509 in the blue & white Mooney.

Did you get your Mooney t-shirt from the Mooney booth?

I was also in attendance for the Mooney caravan dinner on Sunday but I didn't fly in with them.

I was camped in Vintage as usual. Jay managed to make it down to say hello while I was working Classic Point even though I didn't make it up to the North 40 (we did look for the campsite as we were driving past on the way to dinner at the Hilton). Gosh, Jay's son is a big strapping military guy now.

By the way, this was our year to win things. I won a hat and Margy won a ride in the Ford Tri-Motor at the Waco dinner and while we were having dinner at the Hilton, we got a text message that we had won Volunteer of the Year down at the flight line party.

Another long-time OSH volunteer on a different forum has chimed in about the light attendance this year. I don't have any good methods to gauge attendance, but noticed that the gangsomes around the big booths weren't as deep this year and the lines at the food-beverage tents were much shorter. With no military presence the mall area traffic was much lighter, but we knew that would probably happen.

No big iron of any sort in the middle of the west ramp (insert-petroleum-company-name-here plaza) other than the Fedex airbus that was there. Not only was the AF cargo plane not there, but no Orbis or A380 or whatever.

Definitely was lighter as far as airplanes go. Despite losing a good chunk of Vintage parking to the new TSA-mandated perimeter road, we didn't fill up that far south. Only made it a few rows down below the end of 36.

I'd like to see it next year. There was a lot of browning off of the pilot crowd on some of the Hightower regime decisions. Now that it looks like Pelton's regime has taken postiive steps to fix things and hopefully with a continued improvement in the economy, the EAA may recover.

I did get a comment on my signs from the ATC guys. In addition to my "VFR" and "VAC" signs, I always have a few extra like "THANK YOU" and "YOU LOOK GOOD IN PINK" with me. I had one this year that said "$447,000 FOR THIS?"

Hey Jay, I've always wanted to get on your good side but you've got me boxed in here. I can identify with almost everyone mentioned below... not sure how to become one of the good guys. :goofy:

Now, if only we could get Ford, John Deere, and the ladder guys off the field, we would have a real convention again.

I did not feel that attendance was down. The North 40 was just as full as recent years, attendance during the week was strong, and the Walmart/NASCAR crowd was there in full force Saturday. I'm at the point where I don't want to leave my site on Saturdays anymore, between fighting the 350-pounders on rental electric chairs and the mullet-&-tattoo crowd.
(from another thread)
It's amazing what happens when the ruling class is sent out of the room.

Meanwhile, Cessna, Piper, and Beechcraft continue to build 50-year old airplanes for a third of a million dollars, searching for customers with that rare combination of wealth and ignorance. It's sad to watch, really.
Bill "up the street from Walmart, next to Bill's Used Appliances in the heart of NASCAR land with a quarter million$$$ airplane parked next to his Jon boat out in his back yard hangar" Watson ;)

Yes I did! I didn't realize it was anybody from POA though. Mooney is my favorite airplane so I noticed them all. My memory is getting fuzzy now but nearby there was a Mooney from Canada and another one on the south end. In row 510 there was a green & white Mooney with a tall "Don't Tread on Me" flag flying.

Yup - I was the guy on the south end with the cover on and the For Sale By Owner sign in front of it.

Did you get your Mooney t-shirt from the Mooney booth?

They didn't have anything but Large by the time I got there - So I got one for Kelsey, I guess!

The 18 and 15 y/o's with us spent most of a morning at the Ford exhibit, and the plane owner talked to the Deere reps at length about a tractor and snow-blower for his ranch in NM. Nobody bought a ladder.

As a member of our group was fetching his luggage from GA parking east of the terminal on Wednesday evening we noticed many of the local filling up the parking lot and placing their chairs to watch the night air show.

Be careful what you wish for, Diana. MSP is an early riser, and caught me on the way to the Portapotty at oh-dark-thirty, before coffee.

I'm afraid I may not have made a positive, or even coherent, first impression. :lol:
Ohhhh.

If I was on my way to the Portapotty, in the dark, on my bike, before coffee, I might have been a tad less than charming. Might have even looked like a crazy woman. :D

Just got back to the island last night, after a stellar flight home from Iowa City, where we got my son married off. :D

In no particular order, here goes:

Pink shirts. Normally these guys and gals are rock stars at OSH. This year, I saw three of them all week, and there was a virtual donut of empty space around them in the crowd. It was as if no one knew what to say, so they said nothing. I almost felt sorry for them, but with a $447K bill to pay, and a wall-sized petition for members to sign, no one was in a pro-FAA mood.

Showers in the North 40. For the third year in a row, the first two days of the show the water was so hot that you literally could not stand to rinse yourself off. By day three, they got it figured out, but WTF?

EAA Ice Cream Truck? What a great idea! They drove through the North 40, giving away awesomely scrumptious ice cream sandwiches. Amazingly, they arrived at the peak of our HOPS party, and were mobbed by 40 - 60 party goers, all who were instantly turned into 8-year olds at the sight of an ice cream truck!

Electric Scooters These things are the devil's work. Originally intended for use by the disabled and the elderly, they have been coopted by the obese and the lazy. And they run up on your heels in the exhibit buildings like a pack of hyenas. I wish they would go away, right after...

Golf Carts. In recent years, EAA has made efforts to control the explosion of golf carts. This has been somewhat successful, but they are still EVERYWHERE, and are obviously awarded to those "in the know". For those of us on foot, or on bikes, they are to be feared, and loathed, by the end of the week.

Portapotty Doors. OSH veterans know not to let the door slam shut at oh-dark-thirty. OSH newbies do not. I was thankful to not be close to the potties this year, after listening to an endless performance of "BANG!" -- within earshot of dozens of campers. I guess this means we've got some new blood at OSH, which is good, but use some sense, folks.

Volunteers Most were wonderful. Some were rude, and a few were almost crazy with power. On the day BEFORE the show started, two of our group were prevented from entering the grounds by one uber-zealous woman volunteer because they were without wristbands -- which weren't any good until the show opened the next day. WTF?

Another practically jumped in front of my plane to prevent me from getting to my campsite, even though I had "Row 505" in the window, because "there were no open spots in that row" -- as if she had them all memorized! Ah, all my gear was there, set up, and I had to strongly cajole here to move aside. Crazy.

Weather As always, I packed six pairs of shorts, and one pair of long pants. Guess what got worn EVERY DAY? I've never seen a cooler OSH, and it was great! No sweating, and perfect sleeping temperature!

Aircraft It was an interesting year. No modern military stuff, and not a single P-38 Lightning. Again, the ME-262 was a no-show.

On the other hand, we had three Avengers, a slew of B-25s, three or four B-17s, a B-24, and the only flying B-29, so all was not lost.

The antiques had a good turnout, as always, although not as cool as the AAA fly-in in Blakesburg. Ultralights seemed to be staging a resurgence, after several down years. The crazy little helicopters are always a gas to watch.

Van's RVs continued to expand and expand. In ten years, they will make up the bulk of the show, at this rate of growth. It truly is amazing, and I was proud to be part of it.

Jetman What a yawn! I was really looking forward to this, but until he can figure out how to come down a few thousand feet, he will be nothing but a dot in the sky moving back and forth.

When he can do an inverted ribbon cut, ala Sean D. Tucker, let me know. Until then, it's nap time whenever he's flying.

Terrafugia The flying car flies! Finally! Very cool.

Night Airshows They are great, and best watched from the N40 campsite, with a few beers. Fighting the crowds in a poorly-lit flight line isn't worth it.

Bike Path EAA has finally built a bike path that connects the North 40 to Camp Scholler. This is great, but it's poorly marked, not well lit, and of various surfaces, some that are quite sketchy and exciting in the dark. I give EAA an "A" for the idea -- it makes getting across to Scholler possible, finally -- but the execution rates a "C", with more work needed.

Fisk Approach As usual, it was a complete non-event, even though I fell in line at Ripon behind a Breezy. That little SOB was actually able to do 90 knots! I was amazed, as this contraption managed to keep pace with everyone in line.

I was glad I practiced slow flight in the RV beforehand, and was happy to find that the incredibly tight base-to-final turn onto RWY 27 that occasionally caused us conniptions is now a complete non-event in the nimble little RV.

North 40 Grounds
I was disappointed to find that the grass had not been recently mowed, nor had the ruts from Sloshkosh two years ago been rolled out. These two things made for a tense taxi to parking in the RV, with it's small, tightly panted wheels. There were lots of green prop tips to be seen -- is it REALLY too much to ask that someone mow the grass?

Bad Spiff Idea/Stupid Parents
Some insurance company was handing out collapsible frisbees as a promotional item. These, of course, ended up in the hands of kids with lame-brained parents who let them use them near airplanes. Bad idea.

I thought Mary was going to eviscerate a couple of youngsters who were standing beneath the wing of an aircraft, having great fun oil canning the underside of the wing by pushing up, hard, and then releasing -- over and over and over. I don't know what she said to them, but they immediately stopped, and made a beeline out of the area. :lol:

Food
Well, the new Zaug's-less format was hit and miss. The Italian place rocked. The "Taste of"...places were a good idea.

However, the North 40 restaurant that was so wonderful last year was barely mediocre this year. They got rid of the buffet breakfast, which was able to handle hundreds of hungry pilots with ease, and replaced it with a made-to-order format that just couldn't keep up with demand. And the food all tasted like it had just fallen off the Sysco truck.

As if in lockstep, the Hilton's formerly fabulous buffet sucked this year, with absolutely appalling bakery and luke-warm everything. The made-to-order omelets were still great, thankfully, but everything else took a nose-dive.

Even Friar Tuck's, our go-to place for 25 years, wasn't up to snuff. The Little John sandwich -- their specialty, for crying out loud, looked awful as served to my son, and their signature baked french onion soup was only okay.

In an incredible blunder, the Seaplane Base broke a 15-year tradition by NOT hosting a Walleye pike fish fry on Friday night. I can't tell you how disappointed we were, and the crowd that was there seemed to be just as disgruntled as we were. I felt sorry for the new food vendor out there, who had to explain (probably six billion times) that they were not serving fish.

Finally, soft serve ice cream seemed harder to find on the grounds than in previous years. Since our kids have come to associate that ice cream with OSH, they search it out, and were glad to find it -- but it was like an Easter egg hunt, with fewer places serving it.

NOTAM Busters
As always, there were incredibly funny -- and embarrassing -- incidents of pilots who had clearly not read the NOTAM. The guys trying to call the tower on the way in, or on the way OUT (which amazes me) have NO idea how many people are listening on handhelds, laughing. I'm always impressed with how professionally the controllers handle these people.

Newbies
This was the first year my new daughter-in-law attended OSH for the entire week, camping with us. Unlike her husband, she was not raised around airplanes, nor did she ever camp, so this whole week was as foreign to her as it could get. Despite this, she was a trooper, suffering through the cold nights with nary a complaint.

And I saw LOTS of newbies this year, which was gratifying. At 54, I'm FINALLY starting to not look like the "young guy" on the field anymore! :lol:

All in all, #31 was our best year yet at Oshkosh. All grumbling aside, there is no place in the world like OSH, and I always shed a grateful tear when I arrive, as well as when I depart. It's simply the best place to be, and I am so happy to have put another one in the books.

Pink shirts. Normally these guys and gals are rock stars at OSH. This year, I saw three of them all week, and there was a virtual donut of empty space around them in the crowd. It was as if no one knew what to say, so they said nothing. I almost felt sorry for them, but with a $447K bill to pay, and a wall-sized petition for members to sign, no one was in a pro-FAA mood.

How much would it suck to finally make the Super Bowl and then have to hide all week? :(

Showers in the North 40. For the third year in a row, the first two days of the show the water was so hot that you literally could not stand to rinse yourself off. By day three, they got it figured out, but WTF?

I thought it was too hot later on too - Work quickly, lest ye get burned on the rinse! It also helps to wait until 10 AM or so when the crowds have mostly dispersed, and the water in the pipes gets a chance to cool. Only in OSH does your shower get hotter as you go!

Golf Carts. In recent years, EAA has made efforts to control the explosion of golf carts. This has been somewhat successful, but they are still EVERYWHERE, and are obviously awarded to those "in the know". For those of us on foot, or on bikes, they are to be feared, and loathed, by the end of the week.

However, this is also the first time I've ever been offered a ride on a golf cart. That's supposedly standard procedure at Sun 'n' Fun.

Volunteers

Another practically jumped in front of my plane to prevent me from getting to my campsite, even though I had "Row 505" in the window, because "there were no open spots in that row" -- as if she had them all memorized! Ah, all my gear was there, set up, and I had to strongly cajole here to move aside. Crazy.

Yeah, I wish they'd be briefed that a spinning prop is not something to jump in front of. I've had similar issues trying to return to my camp site after flying out in the past, with one idiot on a moped trying to drive right through the prop arc (I did pull the mixture for that one), and another time I had to wait until someone checked to see if there was a tent without a plane in my row before they'd let me continue. I wonder if they really have that many problems with people doing their own thing? :dunno:

This was an odd year for me as I had both the plane and the car there. The folks at the North 40 gate were kind enough to let me in with the car at least three times to schlep gear to/from the plane, but I did get chastised by other volunteers inside. The guy from the North 40 registration tent said I wasn't allowed in at all, and that I especially shouldn't be driving on the grass because I'd damage it. Really? The plane weighs more than the car and its weight is distributed over a MUCH smaller area!

Weather As always, I packed six pairs of shorts, and one pair of long pants. Guess what got worn EVERY DAY? I've never seen a cooler OSH, and it was great! No sweating, and perfect sleeping temperature!

Yes! Except there was mild sweating during the day. Your blood's getting thin living in Texas, Jay. ;)

Night Airshows They are great, and best watched from the N40 campsite, with a few beers. Fighting the crowds in a poorly-lit flight line isn't worth it.

IMO, the night airshow is best viewed from Vintage, if for no other reason than to be RIGHT THERE when Matt Younkin lights up his twin Beech christmas tree. :) And did you see the shooting star behind him on the last turn of his show Wednesday night? You know you're awesome when god loves your show. :rofl:

Bike Path EAA has finally built a bike path that connects the North 40 to Camp Scholler. This is great, but it's poorly marked, not well lit, and of various surfaces, some that are quite sketchy and exciting in the dark. I give EAA an "A" for the idea -- it makes getting across to Scholler possible, finally -- but the execution rates a "C", with more work needed.

Ah! I didn't even realize it was new. With the car on-site this time as well as the plane, I quickly discovered that the Orange Lot is the place to be if you're trying to park your car near the North 40 and you don't have a Warbird permit. The bike path provided a convenient way to walk back to the plane from the car.

Fisk Approach As usual, it was a complete non-event, even though I fell in line at Ripon behind a Breezy. That little SOB was actually able to do 90 knots! I was amazed, as this contraption managed to keep pace with everyone in line.

Well, I'd hope so if he was on the Fisk arrival - Otherwise he should have been on the Ultralight arrival!

I didn't even get to do the Fisk arrival this year. Coming in Friday night, there weren't any controllers at Fisk anyway, and about 20 miles southeast of Ripon the tower guy (who was transmitting on all frequencies - Both sides of tower as well as Fisk approach) asked if there was anyone inbound and then turned me direct to the field.

North 40 Grounds
I was disappointed to find that the grass had not been recently mowed, nor had the ruts from Sloshkosh two years ago been rolled out. These two things made for a tense taxi to parking in the RV, with it's small, tightly panted wheels. There were lots of green prop tips to be seen -- is it REALLY too much to ask that someone mow the grass?

Amen! I was thinking that the grass taxiways were even worse than they were last year, and the grass was awfully long in the North 40 and on the taxiways as well. Good thing the club pulled the wheel pants off the DA40 to facilitate the flight into OSH this year.

I get to drive a golf cart periodically at Airventure and always offer rides if I have an empty seat. It always was a bit unnerving that the North 40 marshallers tend to want to get a lot closer to the prop than I felt comfortable. Down at Vintage, we're out closer to the wingtips at a 45 degree angle.

On soft ground years, we do try to avoid people driving between the rows, it does rut it. This year however was not one of those years. The worst years (sloshkosh) we didn't even let the fuel trucks down the rows.

The area the planes are parked in is pretty much farmed the rest of the year. I was told the baler that they used this year for some reason was particularly bad with leaving ruts on the field which has not been that much of a problem in the past. They did actually bring out a steam roller and try to flatten out some of the more problematic spots.

Generally cars are permitted up until the Sunday before opening if you ask nicely. Another generally unknown resource is "Tony's Taxi", a local EAA chapter that operates two vans that can get you and your stuff on and off field or between aircraft parking and scholler, etc...

We've always tended to arrive early. The Oshkosh NOTAM isn't even effective yet when we get there these days. In the old days I'd tune the tower and if it didn't sound too busy I'd ask if they were "doing the RIPON thing" but often was told they weren't busy so I could come straight in.

I flew the approaches during the show about ten times this year. About half equally split with the RIPON/FISK transition and half with the Warbird arrival.

Amen! I was thinking that the grass taxiways were even worse than they were last year, and the grass was awfully long in the North 40 and on the taxiways as well. Good thing the club pulled the wheel pants off the DA40 to facilitate the flight into OSH this year.

This really surprised me, since there is no single task more important than making the grounds safe to taxi on.

It's like a restaurant forgetting to set the tables. A really strange thing to forget to do.

Stranger still, it's an easy task. With all the rain they've had, the ground has easily been soft enough to roll. It's not like there is any shortage of tractors in WI.

All's well that ends well, but it's an obvious area of improvement t for next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The area the planes are parked in is pretty much farmed the rest of the year. I was told the baler that they used this year for some reason was particularly bad with leaving ruts on the field which has not been that much of a problem in the past. They did actually bring out a steam roller and try to flatten out some of the more problematic spots.

Ron,

Which areas are you talking about? Farming what? It sounds like you mean alfalfa, but I have never seen any planted at the airport nor any farming happening on the airport for the rest of the year, and the North 40 is clearly just plain ol' grass.

Generally cars are permitted up until the Sunday before opening if you ask nicely. Another generally unknown resource is "Tony's Taxi", a local EAA chapter that operates two vans that can get you and your stuff on and off field or between aircraft parking and scholler, etc...

I got in on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday this year. Not to the main show grounds, but to the North 40. It was much appreciated.

How do you find/call "Tony's Taxi"?

While I was happy not to have to see the heavily armed, flight suit-wearing Jackboots from Homeland Security this year due to sequester, I did see two armed shorts-wearing Jackboots walking around the grounds. WTF?

This isn't the SZ, so I won't say anything further.

Ron,

Which areas are you talking about? Farming what? It sounds like you mean alfalfa, but I have never seen any planted at the airport nor any farming happening on the airport for the rest of the year, and the North 40 is clearly just plain ol' grass.
Certainly the area around and south of 36 (Vintage) is farmed. And they do farm grass. Good cattle feed, etc....

How do you find/call "Tony's Taxi"?
I have a card with their numbers. If you're down in Vintage, the easiest way is to go to Vintage operations or to one of the guys on the line with a radio who can call them for you.

EAA Ice Cream Truck? What a great idea! They drove through the North 40, giving away awesomely scrumptious ice cream sandwiches. Amazingly, they arrived at the peak of our HOPS party, and were mobbed by 40 - 60 party goers, all who were instantly turned into 8-year olds at the sight of an ice cream truck!

Yeah, it was really funny watching as everyone saw the truck and a couple people started to walk toward it. Then as it turned down the row and the whole hops crew saw "FREE ICE CREAM" on the side watching everyone rise in unison was hilarious.

Thanks for hosting.

Rich from Mexico

Really? A P-38 Lightning? Facing Hwy 41?

Cool! That's a new addition to the museum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if it was a new museum piece, but they had a few warbirds parked out front next to the pond.

Back