Obama blocking Banning Pass this weekend . . .

You do mean "the Secret Service," instead of
"the Obamster," right? Obama doesn't get a vote on where Presidential TFR's get located.

Bob Gardner

Maybe he knows someone in a position of power who could help?

FYI, you may be able to transit the 10-30 mile ring if authorized by ATC, and on either IFR or VFR flight plan:

Given how accommodating SoCal controls general are, I suspect if you're reasonably proficient in your radio skills and the English language, they'll let you transit the outer ring.

Have you looked where that is Jeff? It is not usable airspace to the north for non turbo pistons - and to the south it is only at 11000 and above - at least MEA - sure - you can fly it lower. . . . depending on updrafts, downdrafts and risk tolerance.

Last edited:
You guys need to read more carefully - I never said that Obama was creating the TFR - what I said was the he was visiting some rich guys [true] and that 'the' TFR was coverning Banning Pass.

I never said that Obama was responsible - words mean things - you need to read them all before you come to the conclusion you are probably going to reach without reading all the facts.

The Title forms no part of the post - it is merely there to generate interest - just like the real journalists. ..

Have you looked where that is Jeff? It is not usable airspace to the north for non turbo pistons - and to the south it is only at 11000 and above - at least MEA - sure - you can fly it lower. . . . depending on updrafts, downdrafts and risk tolerance.

Yes, I did look, and there is plenty of usable "lower" altitude space in the 10-30 nm ring at 7,000' + , provided ATC will allow the transit, which I bet they would.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.83469953852786,-116.50446137802288&chart=24&zoom=2

For a flight to PHX from, say, AJO, ducking south of the TFR near Julian adds about 15 miles to the route. Inconvenient? Sure. Blocking off the east exit from the basin? Hardly.

Hey, I'm well into the "VIP TFRs are ridiculous" camp, but the strong argument is the impact to local businesses, not a 7 minute deviation for a private pilot.

Jeff

Last edited:
The most powerful government figure in the free world is gonna divert my GA plans this weekend. Boo freakin hoo...

Maybe his being the most corrupt , un-American, unqualified president our country has ever had, has something to do with it.

We get grounded by VIP TFRs here in Iowa a lot. It happens in a four year cycle, because of elections.

If you get grounded once in California, well, that's nothing. And you're not even really grounded, anyway.

You do mean "the Secret Service," instead of
"the Obamster," right? Obama doesn't get a vote on where Presidential TFR's get located.

Bob Gardner

By the stroke of a pen, he can have someone whacked, otoh we are supposed to believe that he has no say on what the secret service does ? The director of the secret service serves at his pleasure.

Yes, I did look, and there is plenty of usable "lower" altitude space in the 10-30 nm ring at 7,000' + , provided ATC will allow the transit, which I bet they would.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.83469953852786,-116.50446137802288&chart=24&zoom=2

For a flight to PHX from, say, AJO, ducking south of the TFR near Julian adds about 15 miles to the route. Inconvenient? Sure. Blocking off the east exit from the basin? Hardly.

Hey, I'm well into the "VIP TFRs are ridiculous" camp, but the strong argument is the impact to local businesses, not a 7 minute deviation for a private pilot.

Jeff

This makes sense; when GWB was in office, and P49 (Waco/Crawford) was active, Waco Approach was very accommodating for flights that way, so long as you were squawking and talking.

We get grounded by VIP TFRs here in Iowa a lot. It happens in a four year cycle, because of elections.

If you get grounded once in California, well, that's nothing. And you're not even really grounded, anyway.

Wrong, according to the evening news, this is Obama's twentieth visit to the Bay Area. This time it's a private fundraiser. The previous administration's SS didn't close airspace here nearly as often.
BTW, there's a TFR here as I type. I give thanks that he'll be gone by tomorrow, I planned a nice flight this weekend.

Wrong, according to the evening news, this is Obama's twentieth visit to the Bay Area. This time it's a private fundraiser. The previous administration's SS didn't close airspace here nearly as often.
BTW, there's a TFR here as I type. I give thanks that he'll be gone by tomorrow, I planned a nice flight this weekend.

Californians voted for him, california can have him ;) .

By the stroke of a pen, he can have someone whacked, otoh we are supposed to believe that he has no say on what the secret service does ? The director of the secret service serves at his pleasure.

'tis true. Fourth branch of government and all that.

FYI, you may be able to transit the 10-30 mile ring if authorized by ATC, and on either IFR or VFR flight plan:

Given how accommodating SoCal controls general are, I suspect if you're reasonably proficient in your radio skills and the English language, they'll let you transit the outer ring.

:yeahthat:

Have you actually flown at say, 6500, 7500 or 8500 over that terrain in summer?

Sure, its possible. sure - its even legal but you cannot TRANSIT the 10/30nm TFR - you can only ENTER the 10/30nm ring - you cannot transit the ring.

Geese guys, read the freaking rules. . . .

B. For operations within the airspace between the 10 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

Will SoCal have sufficient manpower to handle transit operations? Its not guaranteed. Sure - I agree - its likely that they may have the ability to handle transit ops - maybe not. You want to be coming from the west or east and be told unable?

No.

I was responding to the OP -- his location and situation in a particular valley in SoCal, not your location and situation elsewhere.

You can easily see to whom my comment was addressed by looking at the top of my post where it says: "Posted in reply to comanchepilot's post"

It's pretty pointless to say that I'm wrong about something I wasn't talking about.

Last edited:
Back