Obama blocking Banning Pass this weekend . . .

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
If you are a pilot planning on heading east out of the LA Basin this weekend, the Obamster is spending it at some rich guys house in Palm Desert I believe, and the 10nm TFR encompasses the entire flat area north of PSP VOR into the mountains north of the 10.

NONE of the IFR airways will usable because they are all inside the 10nm no fly zone . . .

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_5356.html

Be careful and have fun . . . .

PS: He is in San Jose Thurs night, Los Angeles from 10 - 1430 PDT at a fundraiser in West Los Angeles before leaving for PSP. . . .

The only way through east bound is to gateway the path - need to stop at ONT - clear TSA - then land at PSP - clear again - and then fly east bound out of PSP. . . . there is no gate east of the PSP so you are stuck heading West until the TFR is over. . . .

Lord knows the TSA would not want to maintain a gateway out at BLH . .. having to leave their comfy hotel rooms for a place like BLH would be too much for them to suffer.

The only way through east bound is to gateway the path - need to stop at ONT - clear TSA - then land at PSP - clear again - and then fly east bound out of PSP. . . . there is no gate east of the PSP so you are stuck heading West until the TFR is over. . . .

Lord knows the TSA would not want to maintain a gateway out at BLH . .. having to leave their comfy hotel rooms for a place like BLH would be too much for them to suffer.

Wait- I thought that if you flew west-east you fit the profile for DHS to come get you with weapons drawn.:D

That's cause he was one! So is Obama but the press will conveniently ignore that . . .

Good thing I am passing through there tomorrow morning!

If you are a pilot planning on heading east out of the LA Basin this weekend, the Obamster is spending it at some rich guys house in Palm Desert I believe, and the 10nm TFR encompasses the entire flat area north of PSP VOR into the mountains north of the 10.

NONE of the IFR airways will usable because they are all inside the 10nm no fly zone . . .

PS: He is in San Jose Thurs night, Los Angeles from 10 - 1430 PDT at a fundraiser in West Los Angeles before leaving for PSP. . . .

The most powerful government figure in the free world is gonna divert my GA plans this weekend. Boo freakin hoo...

The most powerful government figure in the free world is gonna divert my GA plans this weekend. Boo freakin hoo...

How ****ed off would you be if you had been planning a trip out there for months?

My Jimmies would be thoroughly rustled.

How is a TFR going to protect him? All TFRs do is give the appearance of security to an easily-frightened public who want the problem to be solved by the third commercial break. And as we all know, haven't the successful uses of civil aircraft in attacks all involved aircraft that would have been cleared through a TFR anyway?

How is a TFR going to protect him? All TFRs do is give the appearance of security to an easily-frightened public who want the problem to be solved by the third commercial break. And as we all know, haven't the successful uses of civil aircraft in attacks all involved aircraft that would have been cleared through a TFR anyway?
It's silly, all right... regardless of which party the VIP belongs to. My favorite example of this, when debating the topic with non-pilots who are mortified that I can just "fly those little airplanes anywhere", is the case where a deranged guy in a stolen 152 not only penetrated the permanent (and pre-9/11) restricted area around the White House, but crash-landed in the backyard and collided with the building on the rollout.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-09-13/news/1994256041_1_white-house-plane-house-lawn

Nobody tried to stop him, nobody could have could have stopped him (except maybe Bruce Willis), and the damage was minimal. The Clintons were,, ironically, sleeping across the street at the time, but had the First Family been at the mansion, they would not have been harmed. One could easily do more harm to the POTUS and family, or the White House staff, with a truck bomb or a handheld weapon from just outside the property.
But these magic circles are supposed to somehow protect them... :dunno:

Oh joy... Looks like I'll be in the air (on an IFR plan, 'cause I'm not messing with the timing of this) from SoCal to NorCal while AF1 is moving from north to south on Friday morning...

I'm not necessarily saying it will protect him. But the tone of the OP seems to be one of pretty significant political bias. It just seems like an opportunity to whine if you ask me, no disrespect, that's just how it comes off. The president (who has probably secured more death threats than any other POTUS in history) is using his right as president to have the FAA issue a TFR over the space where he'll visit a rich friend. Big. Deal.

I'm not necessarily saying it will protect him. But the tone of the OP seems to be one of pretty significant political bias. It just seems like an opportunity to whine if you ask me, no disrespect, that's just how it comes off. The president (who has probably secured more death threats than any other POTUS in history) is using his right as president to have the FAA issue a TFR over the space where he'll visit a rich friend. Big. Deal.

It's not the President's decision.

It's expensive window dressing in a poor economy, that sounds like a bad plan

That's pretty much the attitude that is screwing us over. Next time a TSA goon grabs your or your childs junk, thank like minded folks for that. It's no big deal.

Last edited:
The president (who has probably secured more death threats than any other POTUS in history)...

Sounds like a personal problem to me. He can have one cop car drive by his house every few hours, just like the rest of us.

Other than the use of an inoffensive nickname, rather than the proper name, for the President, there is nothing inflammatory or politically controversial in the original post.

I can tell you for an absolute fact certain that I found the excessive use of TFRs, and the excessive size of them when they existed, to be a huge problem during the previous administration, and they frequently affected the Dallas area, completely closing down three large airports to general aviation whenever the President was in town. It was a huge problem, and I would not have cared if he had been my beloved cousin -- I still would've been objecting, for the reasons many pointed out above.

It is a very important that we avoid falling into the trap of accepting each incremental reduction in our freedom of movement as a reasonable measure; these TFR restrictions are neither rational, nor useful; they do, however, create a great deal of harm to everyone affected.

Last edited:
12 years after the fact, it appears there may be some incremental improvements on the horizon for those located in the DC FRZ. Still no official announcement, though it is reported to be "soon".

We'll mark you down as being okay with having entire businesses shut down or more.

Other than the use of an inoffensive nickname, rather than the proper name, for the President, there is nothing inflammatory or politically controversial in the original post.

I can tell you for an absolute fact certain that I found the excessive use of TFRs, and the excessive size of them when they existed, to be a huge problem during the previous administration, and they frequently affected the Dallas area, completely closing down three large airports to general aviation whenever the President was in town. It was a huge problem, and I would not have cared if he had been my beloved cousin -- I still would've been objecting, for the reasons many appointed out above.

It is a very important that we avoid falling into the trap of accepting each incremental reduction in our freedom of movement as a reasonable measure; these TFR restrictions are neither rational, nor useful; they do, however, create a great deal of harm to everyone affected. I will be in the order of where is he and he will in the order you want me to go to on and I are in the own a few that is the high and wide and he is told he is in a way you and I was at you now go and and and guy I know in the

On the sauce tonight? Or is that just legal writing?

Say again all after "very important"?

I can tell you for an absolute fact certain that I found the excessive use of TFRs, and the excessive size of them when they existed, to be a huge problem during the previous administration, and they frequently affected the Dallas area, completely closing down three large airports to general aviation whenever the President was in town. It was a huge problem, and I would not have cared if he had been my beloved cousin -- I still would've been objecting, for the reasons many appointed out above.

It is a very important that we avoid falling into the trap of accepting each incremental reduction in our freedom of movement as a reasonable measure; these TFR restrictions are neither rational, nor useful; they do, however, create a great deal of harm to everyone affected. I will be in the order of where is he and he will in the order you want me to go to on and I are in the own a few that is the high and wide and he is told he is in a way you and I was at you now go and and and guy I know in the

Memo to self:

Shut off wireless mic when using speech recognition, lest it hear the dreaded phrase "wake up" and start transcribing gibberish.

:mad2:

Obama has a fundraiser in WI during Oshkosh.

If you Google "history of temporary flight restrictions" you'll see a link to a 1976 pdf file titled "Temporary Flying Restrictions Due to Exogenous Factors". Clicking on it will present a security warning.

I chickened out at that point :eek:

"Oh please oh please oh please go to California and don't go to Chicago.....thank you thank you thank you....."

Wow. Really?

You know anything about the area where the 10nm TFR is?

How about the utter inability to transit the area outside the 10nm TFR.

Access to Los Angeles from the east is essentially suspended for GA for almost 48 hours. You don't think that is a big deal for someone who, say, wants to fly from LA to Phoenix? If you want to go to PSP from the east you need to land at ONT first - so how do you get to ONT from the east?

You have to fly around - either to the south over Julian with lots of very hostile terrain - or over the desert to the north - and then curve back down over a couple of restricted areas and a MOA or three . . .

I think it is the height of government high handedness to at the last minute close off airspace that important to a region and have ZERO alternatives - zero.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. He can have one cop car drive by his house every few hours, just like the rest of us.

Amen. One could argue that such complete imperviousness to external threats - at least so far - has emboldened Barry (and Dubya before him) to repeatedly act contrary to the country's best interests. Fear can be a powerful motivator to actually make good, sound, moral decisions, rather than resorting to mere political grandstanding.

(Oh, and note my complete lack of respect towards either man in referring to both in as demeaning fashion as possible.)

Like everything else related to GA, he will say it is a coincidence and has been on the book for months. One of many lessons I learned while involved in high-level politics is to never stand between the pol and his money.

Obama has a fundraiser in WI during Oshkosh.

Access to Los Angeles from the east is essentially suspended for GA for almost 48 hours. You don't think that is a big deal for someone who, say, wants to fly from LA to Phoenix? If you want to go to PSP from the east you need to land at ONT first - so how do you get to ONT from the east?

Let alone the problem this will create on the freeways

Secret Service blocking Banning Pass this weekend . . .

I think the thread title would be more accurate if it said "Secret Service blocking Banning Pass this weekend," because they are apparently the folks who mandate these TFRs, regardless of where the President happens to be.

FYI, you may be able to transit the 10-30 mile ring if authorized by ATC, and on either IFR or VFR flight plan:

For operations within the airspace between the 10 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

Given how accommodating SoCal controls general are, I suspect if you're reasonably proficient in your radio skills and the English language, they'll let you transit the outer ring.

Wow. Really?

You know anything about the area where the 10nm TFR is?

How about the utter inability to transit the area outside the 10nm TFR.

You have to fly around - either to the south over Julian with lots of very hostile terrain - or over the desert to the north - and then curve back down over a couple of restricted areas and a MOA or three . . .

I think it is the height of government high handedness to at the last minute close off airspace that important to a region and have ZERO alternatives - zero.

President Obama will be meeting with the President of China. It is pretty "high-handed" of them to schedule it so as to inconvenience your flying. :rolleyes2:

"Now, an estate near Palm Springs, California called Sunnylands makes history this weekend. President Obama is meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping there on Friday and Saturday. President Xi only took charge of his country in March, and this summit is only the second time the two men have met. It's an atypical setting. Generally, American and Chinese leaders meet with red carpets and fanfares, all the protocols and procedures of an official visit. This weekend's gathering is much more informal. The leaders of the world's two biggest economies have a rare chance to get to know one another on top of the official business about trades, security and global power."

President Obama will be meeting with the President of China. It is pretty "high-handed" of them to schedule it so as to inconvenience your flying. :rolleyes2:

I suppose though it is okay to put flight schools operating in the area out of business for a couple of days while this "historic" conference takes place. After all, no business should be guaranteed the right to actually do business when the President is in town.

I suppose though it is okay to put flight schools operating in the area out of business for a couple of days while this "historic" conference takes place. After all, no business should be guaranteed the right to actually do business when the President is in town.

It was the same in the Bush era, and it will be the same in the next administration I suspect. I didn't like it when Bush the younger landed in the middle of my town and ruined some long held vacation plans. I didn't like it any less when Obama landed and did the same thing. I won't like it when the next bozo does likewise. But we've given the SS free reign to tell us what to do, and this is the result.

You do mean "the Secret Service," instead of
"the Obamster," right? Obama doesn't get a vote on where Presidential TFR's get located.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Giving the president a pass because the SS is too powerful is really friggen sad. We've lost the country to b'crat tyrants.

Back