O2 on the cheap

> "O2 on the Cheap - get a big plastic bag and before takeoff fill it up with air and close it tightly. When you reach 10K just stick your head in the bag when you need some O2."

Doesn't work well. I used bigger and bigger bags but never could figure out how to keep the air in once you open it to put your head in the first time. As soon as you open the bag whoosh, there goes the air plus head in the bag interfered with forward vision. So I'd like to see just what your procedure is with this idea . . . could you post a video?

I gave this problem a lot of thought and finally figured out a better way to contain the air. The answer was right in front of my nose the whole time! My hangar air tank will hold 125 lbs. of pressure and has a Schrader valve so now before a trip I just fill it up with the compressor and take the tank with me in the cockpit. I fabricated a hose with a custom ball on/off valve that screws on the Schrader valve on the tank. I stick the other end of the hose in my mouth and turn on the ball valve when I need oxygen up high. So your idea wasn't totally unworkable, just needed a little refinement. I'd still like to see how you do the bag idea though . . . .

Definitely not "on the cheap." This one is $300 more than the Inogen G3 mentioned earlier and marketed to GA. No, I haven't tried it.

INOGEN AVIATORTM
IN-FLIGHT OXYGEN SYSTEM

The Inogen Aviator is a lightweight, in-flight pulse oxygen system for the general aviation community. Tested up to 18,000', the Inogen Aviator can either run off a cigarette lighter power interface or a 12 cell or 24 cell battery (up to 3 or 6 hours respectively)

An extension of the Inogen Aviator product line, the G3 weighs only 4.8 pounds (2.2 kg), about 3 pounds (1.4 kg) lighter than the Inogen Aviator G2-1050. The Inogen Aviator G3 concentrates oxygen from ambient air and can be used by a single user up to 15,000'. The system is already in use by a wide range of pilots from kit plane to pressurized jets and has been approved for use during all phases of flights including taxiing, taking off and landing as well as for commercial use. The Inogen Aviator is FAA approved and safer than tank oxygen systems with no need to re-fill oxygen tanks again.

Important Features:

- - Lightweight and small
- - Included battery that runs up to 3 hours
- - Four (4) flow settings
- - 12 – 32VDC power converter
- - AC Power Supply 100-240V, 50-60Hz
- - Meets FAA guidelines for supplemental oxygen
- - Certified to FAA radiated emissions standards (May run in IFR)
- - LCD user interface with continual self-diagnostics
- - Three (3) year warranty

http://www.inogenaviator.com

Last edited:
Has any tried one of the Oxygen in a can products?
They are advertised as for athletes, quick boost of energy.
I thought they might be handy if I'm cruising above 10,000 ft, and need a little O2. Obviously they wouldn't be good for when full time Oxygen is required.
They claim to be 95% Oxygen.

I doubt they'd last long, but it might be okay for a short burst if you felt the need due to symptoms that were causing you to feel the need to descend.

Alternatively, you could move to Colorado and acclimate to altitude!

While I wouldn't do it due to regs prohibiting the practice, I'm personally comfortable well above 14K without oxygen. But, our planes sure don't climb well out here!

Oxygen is so cheap and available if you know how to do it.

1. Go to yard sales or ebay and buy a 20 cu ft medical oxygen bottle, I generally pay about $10.00 for one. Remember the previous owner is deceased and the government paid for the cylinder.
2. Take it to Air products and get a new hydrotest, the valve changed to aviation, and have it filled. I pay $24.00 for that service from Airco.
3. Buy a transfer hose so you can fill it yourself for less than $3.00. Hose will cost about $30.00.
4. DO NOT let an FBO fill it unless you are watching, they will swap it out for an expired bottle.
5. Have one bottle for outbound trip, carry a second in case you need it. I have never used spare bottle.
6. Use it any time you are above 8000 or at night, it is cheap and a good habit.

Ken Andrew

Nooooooo. Nobody else move here! Hahaha.

Ruh roh. I didn't use it at 10.5 today. ;)
[/QUOTE]

Ha... I was even thinking that as I posted my comment. We certainly have more than enough folks around here these days. Oxygen around 8.5 makes me laugh, too. My wife grew up at 9,500 feet out here!

I doubt they'd last long, but it might be okay for a short burst if you felt the need due to symptoms that were causing you to feel the need to descend.

Alternatively, you could move to Colorado and acclimate to altitude!

While I wouldn't do it due to regs prohibiting the practice, I'm personally comfortable well above 14K without oxygen. But, our planes sure don't climb well out here!
Since that append I've tried one, they do work, I went from 88% to 98% in seconds with a couple of hits. They won't last long but maybe long enough to do a quick emergency descent. Probably no good if at 28000' but good enough for 17000'

Airgas customer service sucks. If you are going with an industrial supplier praxair is much better.

I don't have an oxygen system but I do own a good pulse ox. I have regularly flown at 11,5 and 12,5. I'm 28, don't smoke, not overweight. After some time at that altitude, my readings on the pulse ox drop to low 90's. Seen high 80's before. Noticeably tired after 2-3 hours up there.

I found a used Inogen Ox concentrator on Craigslist for less than half of new and tried it out on flight home. Plugged it into ship's 12v power it kept Ox sats at 98-99% at 10,500'. I'll probably sell my Aerox system (cheap Ox for someone) if it works out on my trip to Sun n Fun.

One thing; it's a pulse-type concentrator, it senses your inhale and then pushes oxygen. Because you loop the cannula around your ears you hear the airflow on every breath. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's strange to be so conscious of your breathing. I'm reminded of the infallible, dastardly way to ruin a golf competitor; ask him if he breathes in or out when he swings.

Last edited:
At 10Kft, it would be much cheaper and longer lasting if you would simply take in faster and deeper breathing.
You can get hypoxic at altitudes lower than 10k and breathing faster and deeper doesn't make hypoxia go away.

Oxygen is so cheap and available if you know how to do it.

1. Go to yard sales or ebay and buy a 20 cu ft medical oxygen bottle, I generally pay about $10.00 for one. Remember the previous owner is deceased and the government paid for the cylinder.
2. Take it to Air products and get a new hydrotest, the valve changed to aviation, and have it filled. I pay $24.00 for that service from Airco.
3. Buy a transfer hose so you can fill it yourself for less than $3.00. Hose will cost about $30.00.
4. DO NOT let an FBO fill it unless you are watching, they will swap it out for an expired bottle.
5. Have one bottle for outbound trip, carry a second in case you need it. I have never used spare bottle.
6. Use it any time you are above 8000 or at night, it is cheap and a good habit.
Ken Andrew

This looks like good advice, and I hesitate to admit this but I am too clueless to follow it without some more hand-holding. What type of fittings do you need (installed on the tank or detachable?) to use single or multiple cannulas? Will an average Air Gas type industrial gas company have aviation type regulators and fittings on hand? What's a good source for an aviation cannula without paying an arm and a leg? What kind of transfer hose do you need and why does it save money to have your own? Thanks!

You can buy welding O2 - it's the same thing.

The oxygen is all the same, but the delivery systems are not. I am finding aviation regulators for $250+ online. Will I really be able to get one for $24 at a welding supply shop?

Yes, if you spend half a day calling and driving around and Bubba knows what he is doing. Might do better online.

Buy the biggest bottle that your oxygen filler will fill for the standard fill fee (mine is $20). They usually will charge the same to fill up to some max size. Get at least 24 cu ft. For its light weight, get an aluminum bottle. If you plan on filling at airports its best to the aviation fitting (a CGA 540) not the medical fitting (CGA 870). Only some aviation filling stations have the medical fitting. The welding stations seem to use the same as the aviation CGA 540. There are adapters to go back and forth.

I just bought a SkyOx online, came filled and ready to go but Ill admit, if you can find a bottle for $10 you are going to save some money.

I'm finding bottles for $40-50 without trouble. The hard part is figuring out how to plug a cannula into one. I'll call around town though. Plenty of welding shops per capita here in my little town. Thanks for the CGA numbers. At least I have a good search term to google for information now.

The F-22, F-18, F-15E, and F-35 all use on-board oxygen generation systems (OBOGS), rather than stored O2. All have had issues, but in all cases they were installation related, the OBOGS system itself works fine.

Back