O-540 Mag Install

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
The mags for the O/IO-540 have rubber clamps which cushion the drive adapter where the mag connects with the engine. I just reinstalled a mag (on the RV-10 project) and getting those clamps to stay in place while I placed the mag was a beeyotch.

Youtube was not my friend researching this, and neither was anywhere else on the interweb.

So, the obvious question: What's the easy way to install a mag which has those clamps?

Thank you, gentlemen. I used a dab of grease when I did the installation and still thought it was a bit dicey. I may try fuel lube next time.

Follow-up question - is it best practice (or easier) to stick them to the mag or to stick them inside the cup?

Thank you, gentlemen. I used a dab of grease when I did the installation and still thought it was a bit dicey. I may try fuel lube next time.

Follow-up question - is it best practice (or easier) to stick them to the mag or to stick them inside the cup?

I put them in the cup and then fit up the mag. Yes, its "dicey", but a steady hand and a bit of patience and it usually works out first try now. Of course having 4 mags on the plane means I get more practice LOL.

6 of one half dozen of the other

In the past, I have taken the pads out and cleaned them and the cup really well, then used 1300L to glue them into place in the cup. Seemed to work well over time.

Just as an aside, how many hours on the engine? Right or left mag? There was a thread not long ago about the left mag drive bearing on the O-540, and how it may be subject to premature wear. Replacement at 500 hrs when the mags are iran'ed seemed like a good idea. If the mag's out anyway...

Just as an aside, how many hours on the engine? Right or left mag? There was a thread not long ago about the left mag drive bearing on the O-540, and how it may be subject to premature wear. Replacement at 500 hrs when the mags are iran'ed seemed like a good idea. If the mag's out anyway...

This was the right mag on a freshly rebuilt engine.

Back