o-360 cht temps

jdangel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JeffInBoston
I have seen a few posts from a couple of years ago on this topic but thought I would ask for some pireps on those with O-360 engines. I have a Cherokee 180.

Cyl#3 reads around 425 degress in full throttle climb even when climbing at 100 mph (cruise climb speed). It does calm down though in cruise and ends up around 380 typically.

Most likely normal behavior, but I have read and been told that greater than 400 is cause for concern so wanted to check with the crowd for results. Baffles were redone last annual and have been checked. Compression is great and the engine has around 500 hours on it.

What do people tend to get for temps on this engine? Especially curious about others with Cherokees.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have seen a few posts from a couple of years ago on this topic but thought I would ask for some pireps on those with O-360 engines. I have a Cherokee 180.

Cyl#3 reads around 425 degress in full throttle climb even when climbing at 100 mph (cruise climb speed). It does calm down though in cruise and ends up around 380 typically.

Most likely normal behavior, but I have read and been told that greater than 400 is cause for concern so wanted to check with the crowd for results. Baffles were redone last annual and have been checked. Compression is great and the engine has around 500 hours on it.

What do people tend to get for temps on this engine? Especially curious about others with Cherokees.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sounds exactly like my 0-360 in a Cherokee 180 (except we have about 300 hours since o/h). We have poured over every possible cause and have come up empty handed each time.

If you get into Lycoming's documents on point, 425 in the climb and <400 in cruise is just fine.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, I see about the same temps (Cyl #3) in my Arrow IO-360. Baffles were replaced a few years back but no difference. I keep an eye on temp's in the summer and will shallow the climb if need be. At cruise, I tend to run around 400 CHT across the board, 25 inches, burning around 11.8 GPH (Altitude +/-)

Back