O-320-H2AD

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Would any of you consider buying a 172 with an H2AD in it? I would think all of them flying would have had all the mods and AD's. What are things to look for, and would you buy one overall?

Would any of you consider buying a 172 with an H2AD in it? I would think all of them flying would have had all the mods and AD's. What are things to look for, and would you buy one overall?

If the airframe was in good enough condition, and the price is right I would, HOWEVER I would plan that if I had a major engine issue, I would be ready to do a 180hp upgrade. So I would look what engines the STCs use, and keep my eyes out for a deal on a mid time engine to have ready to go on it.

If the airframe was in good enough condition, and the price is right I would, HOWEVER I would plan that if I had a major engine issue, I would be ready to do a 180hp upgrade. So I would look what engines the STCs use, and keep my eyes out for a deal on a mid time engine to have ready to go on it.

Agreed.....

The price you pay should reflect the upgrade cost of a 0-360...

FWIW, the original H2AD in my '78 C-172N went 1527 hours before it was swapped out for a different 0-SMOH H2AD in 1981. That one went 1843 hours and 17 years SMOH, and was still doing fine when it was replaced with an O-360-A4M.

I don't have the logbook for the first engine, so I can't tell you what prompted the overhaul at 1527 hours.

The conventional wisdom about H2ADs is that they don't handle cold climates well. This airplane was based at Truckee CA (5900' MSL) from new to 1988, so it had its share of cold.

The H2AD wasn't the best engine to come out of Williamsport, but it is a lot better than it used to be. My only real gripe with it now is the "dual magneto" (one magneto that has both sets in it). I personally don't want a plane that has that setup.

The 172 is much better with a 360 anyway, so I'd plan on the upgrade if it hasn't been done yet.

One of the local flight trainers is a 172N that still has the H2AD in it. That plane has around 12,000 hours on it and to the best of my knowledge has always made at least TBO between overhauls. I think the original owner was overhauling it at around 2500 give or take a few hundred.

So, based on the owner's experience with it and my experience flying and working on it I would say yes, I would consider buying a 172 with the H2AD. I would want to buy it at a discounted price however, mainly because if you decide to sell it the buyers will expect it to be discounted. Also, if i had one that needed an engine I'd consider doing a 180 conversion for improved performance and resale value. Beyond that, they seem to fly fine on the H2AD.

The H2AD 'hybrid ' engines are now coming back to lycoming for overhauls in better condition than any other motors.
Per Lycoming training instructure at a class I took at their shop in Pa. couple years back.

One of the local flight trainers is a 172N that still has the H2AD in it. That plane has around 12,000 hours on it and to the best of my knowledge has always made at least TBO between overhauls. I think the original owner was overhauling it at around 2500 give or take a few hundred.

So, based on the owner's experience with it and my experience flying and working on it I would say yes, I would consider buying a 172 with the H2AD. I would want to buy it at a discounted price however, mainly because if you decide to sell it the buyers will expect it to be discounted. Also, if i had one that needed an engine I'd consider doing a 180 conversion for improved performance and resale value. Beyond that, they seem to fly fine on the H2AD.

The main issue with the H2AD as Ted mentioned is the single drive mag. I haven't had to support one recently, but I hear people complaining about support issues.

I still have the H2AD engine in my 172 it's been good. The other draw back to the low utilization engines is the lifters and cam. The lifters are easy to pull and inspect. I look at mine every other annual. call me crazy but I like working with the dual mag too.

The main issue with the H2AD as Ted mentioned is the single drive mag. I haven't had to support one recently, but I hear people complaining about support issues.

I haven't had any issues getting parts so far, but I keep hearing people claim that they are hard to support. It's probably just like a lot of older airplanes and engines where you can support them just fine, you just don't get multiple options for parts sources.

If the airframe was in good enough condition, and the price is right I would, HOWEVER I would plan that if I had a major engine issue, I would be ready to do a 180hp upgrade.
I'd be planning that and figuring that into my offer right from the git-go. IOW, I wouldn't buy a 172 with that engine unless the price was really right, such that after adding the price of the conversion, it was competitive with an already-converted 172.

Of course, I wouldn't consider trading my Tiger for even a 180HP 172 at any price, so it's kind of academic for me.

There really isn't anything wrong with the H2AD engines today, they have all been modified to fix the cam / lifter problems that plagued it from the start.

Of course the 0-360 is a better choice for the 172, it does have 20 more horses. But as far as the maintenance, they are equal in their need for care.

Back