O-300 oil leak

Cess120/140

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Blue
Is there a difference in the O-300 models a,b,c or d with respect to the oil in the engine? We have been told that an O-300 taken from a 182, trike gear , will leak oil if used on a Cessna 170.

Thank you.

Neal

Is there a difference in the O-300 models a,b,c or d with respect to the oil in the engine? We have been told that an O-300 taken from a 182, trike gear , will leak oil if used on a Cessna 170.

Thank you.

Neal

The 182 has a 0-470- but the 172 early models up to 67 had a C-145/0-300 in them ..

And they are all the same as far as the oil system.

and will not leak if used in a 170.

Remeber there 4 different dip stick part numbers for all the different aplications of the engine. If you remove a 0-300 from a early 172, and place iit in a 170, and fill it to the full mark on the 172 dipstick it will be low on oil. but if you go the other way it will be over filled.

Last edited:
Tom-D

Thank you for that reply and the correct shift was from a 172, not the 182. The mechs just found that the alt/gen/tach casting gasket was leaking a lot, though never on the ground. The post-installation of a new one is yet to prove the cure. The dipstick was also from 'something else', so that is yet to be resolved.

I appreciate the info.

Neal

My experience with O-300s is that they will leak oil regardless of what they're mounted in!!

:smilewinkgrin:

Tom-D

Thank you for that reply and the correct shift was from a 172, not the 182. The mechs just found that the alt/gen/tach casting gasket was leaking a lot, though never on the ground. The post-installation of a new one is yet to prove the cure. The dipstick was also from 'something else', so that is yet to be resolved.

I appreciate the info.

Neal

Try draining the oil and putting in the minimum (2 qts IIRC, but look it up) and see if it leaks. Add another quart and fly again...until you find the level it starts leaking.

My experience with O-300s is that they will leak oil regardless of what they're mounted in!!

:smilewinkgrin:

That's because the owner won't spend the money to repair the leaks.

Try draining the oil and putting in the minimum (2 qts IIRC, but look it up) and see if it leaks. Add another quart and fly again...until you find the level it starts leaking.

While you are doing that, mark the dipstick.

The mechs just found that the alt/gen/tach casting gasket was leaking a lot, though never on the ground.
Neal

there is a small cavity drain channel between the tach drive and the alt/gen pad, be sure that is open and allowing the oil in the tach drive to be drained back into the engine and not out to the exterior.

many A&Ps or owners will cut the gasket so they can replace part of it and not have to remove both components, that creates the leak.

Back