O&​VO-​360 ​SER

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
A friend of ours is thinking about buying a 1973 Cardinal, and it has a Lycoming O&​VO-​360 ​SER engine in it. What does O&​VO-​360 ​SER mean?

It means someone made a typo. The VO engines were used in certain helicopters. The V means "Vertical." As you can imagine, a vertical engine wouldn't work well in a Cardinal. :)

I'm not sure which engine the Cardinal had.

According to p4, the 1973 Cardinal is a 177B with this engine: Lycoming O-360-A1F6 or O-360-A1F6D It is possible that this may not apply to this particular airplane if someone found an approved way to change the engine to a different model. Only way to know for sure it so eyeball the data plate. Logs can be helpful, but look at the data plate.

Last edited:
She is talking SERIAL NUMBER not engine MODLE

It would certainly look interesting, though. :D
Here is the registration info from the FAA database:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=34444
Here is the airplane:
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/listing?id=1519622

The a/c SN listed in the registry (17701807 ) agrees with the range in the a/c tcds I posted, Diana: "17701774 through 17701973 (1973)"
so it probably came with, and likely still has one of the engine models I posted. The "O&​VO-​360 ​SER" can most likely be discarded as nonsensical or incomplete.

Hmm my N number search says my airplane has an O300

Your "Cessna 172G-180 Horton STOL kit" appears to have come from the factory with the Continental O-300 C or D:
IV page 5
However it may have had an engine upgrade to a 180hp, perhaps by STC. Do you know which engine it has, or by what means it was upgraded?

A search of PoA found this thread started by Michael Driggs years ago. He wrote that he had an O&VO-360 SER LYCOMING in his Mooney, so maybe there are some out there that are called that? It was just the first time I'd heard of one.

Its listed as an Opposed or Vertical Opposed 360 Cubic in Series engine. That is a generic for the whole O360 series of engines since someone didn't know the exact model. Pretty simple actually......

Frank

He wrote that he had an O&VO-360 SER LYCOMING in his Mooney, so maybe there are some out there that are called that? It was just the first time I'd heard of one.

I don't think so, Diana. It looks to me like the "O&OV-360 SER" is someone's abbreviated version of engines that might possibly be installed in that airframe and this is not a specific model engine.

It probably means "Opposed, and Opposed Vertical shaft, 360 cubic inch SERies engines" which covers a wide range of engine models.

The registry you found is somehow giving a generic listing of all 360 Lycoming engines and not narrowing it down to which engine is in that airplane.

Looks like a nice plane, Diana. I like Cardinals, good planes.

Its listed as an Opposed or Vertical Opposed 360 Cubic in Series engine. That is a generic for the whole O360 series of engines since someone didn't know the exact model. Pretty simple actually......

Frank

I don't think so, Diana. It looks to me like the "O&OV-360 SER" is someone's abbreviated version of engines that might possibly be installed in that airframe and this is not a specific model engine.

It probably means "Opposed, and Opposed Vertical shaft, 360 cubic inch SERies engines" which covers a wide range of engine models.

The registry you found is somehow giving a generic listing of all 360 Lycoming engines and not narrowing it down to which engine is in that airplane.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

Looks like a nice plane, Diana. I like Cardinals, good planes.
It's really pretty. :) The seller said it wasn't insured so my friend couldn't fly it, or in it, so there may be more to the story than the owner is telling him.

It would certainly look interesting, though. :D

It would work exceptionally poorly. :)

Here is the registration info from the FAA database:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=34444[/quote]

It is worth noting that the FAA database is frequently incorrect.

For example, it lists my Aztec as coming with TIO-540s. I had Insight tell me I was ordering the wrong engine monitor, because they checked the FAA database on the plane.

As Dave explained, that is the general description for a multitude of engines. There is no O&VO-360-SER engine built by Lycoming - trust me on this one. :)

Back