NYT article on unreliability breathalyzers

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
Personally, I'm all for citing drivers that don't drive in a safe manner, regardless of cause. You drive left of center and cause an accident? Why should the penalty depend on whether you were drunk or high, or dropped your phone, or were fighting with your girlfriend?

In 1984 I was a test subject for training on the Breathalyzer at the local police academy. It was the old machine, big as a large briefcase, not the little portable ones. I drank my required amount of alcohol according to my weight that should have resulted in a 0.10 reading. 0.10 was the limit back then.

When I was told to blow, I blew just as hard as I could, and did not stop when told to stop blowing. My reading came out as 0.99...

Yes, I was actually told by the police officer to drink my alcohol.....

No, I did not drive myself there. Or home.

And when I did as instructed the reading was 0.09.

Should I have reported that.??

Yeah, but science.

Politically fueled and money making “science”

Think science also said blacks were unfit to fly aircraft when the tuskegee airmen were starting up.

I trust science when it’s science for science, but when a politician or lots of money gets behind it, it goes from science to Science™

I was thinking, we all know the consequences as a pilot of even being charged. Sure would, er, blow if you were actually legal at the time you got arrested.

Why should the penalty depend on whether you were drunk or high, or dropped your phone, or were fighting with your girlfriend?
You can plan to avoid the first two. The third one you can be smarter and wait until you are off the road. The last one is not necessarily under your control.

Politically fueled and money making “science”

Think science also said blacks were unfit to fly aircraft when the tuskegee airmen were starting up.

I trust science when it’s science for science, but when a politician or lots of money gets behind it, it goes from science to Science™
So science is only science if it doesn't cost anything?

Personally, I trust scientists a lot more than I trust politicians.

You can plan to avoid the first two. The third one you can be smarter and wait until you are off the road. The last one is not necessarily under your control.
Yes, but, in general, people are stupid. Heck, 50% are below median intelligence.

So science is only science if it doesn't cost anything?

Personally, I trust scientists a lot more than I trust politicians.

So you also think blacks have no business in fighters?

Always opt for the blood test. Almost anything can give a false positive reading on a breathalyzer.

Also keep in mind speeders kill the same as drunk drivers, yet we don’t go all puritanical burnt ground on when someone’s caught speeding, if you’re caught driving half awake I’m not sure if they even have a ticket for that, I find traffic laws super silly, what they make a huge deal vs what they don’t do anything about, all mostly used as a intro to a search or track someone or otherwise make money from people.

My post was not intended to be political. It was a commentary about the reliability of tech and use of said technology in an environment where such reliability can be problematic.

Working in the ER we took blood from a women involved in a MVA, it showed a BAC of 0.00, police breathalyzer test said she was impaired. If you do so much as rinse with mouthwash, you can be charged with an impaired having not drank alcohol in the past year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back