NYPD To Use High-Powered Rifle From Helicopters

Good luck to them. Unless they have some sort of "movement dampening" mount, it is going to be hard to hit much with that sort of accuracy from a helicopter. Anyone here who was in the military trained for this sort of thing? I would think it would be a difficult business.

Jim G

It appears to me they contemplate useage against aircraft and boats (larger targets). It could be a deterrent to put a couple rounds in front of a boat or for a pilot to see a couple tracers pass (if overtaking). Smaller arms may not do much against those targets.

It's better than nothin. Don't think they would be effective against a pin point target (like you might think of a normal sniper role). If Bubba Drug guy is toolin along in a Cessna; couple hits from a 50 caliber rifle (even if not exactly where then need to be) could do some convincin!!

Dave

Steve said:
Before long they'll be recruiting waist gunners when they replace their Bells with new UH-60's....

A .50 cal can do a lot of damage.

I hope they can tell the difference between a hijacked 757 and a lost C-150.

True, you can't accurately "snipe" from a helo, but you can sure scare the H*ll out of someone. Really, they should just use Huey gunships, rockets and all. :)

The Coasties do this from an HH60 during drug interdiction. The plan is also to do this in the ADIZ.

I need to wonder precisely what plane they envision shooting down? Debris to land on the citizenry they purport to protect? Afterall, it's not like the aircraft wouldn't have to land on it's own sooner or later. So the threat had better be extremely significant, and they had better be right.

Ed Guthrie said:
Because the neighbors have a 50-cal Barrett? :rofl:

Naw, its because there is no state sales tax.

Dee
Who spends way too much time (and money) in Missoula

Ohhh great ... Ma Duce rounds bouncing around downtown DC. That ought to be fun for all!

Of course, might be part of a secret RIF plan for the feds .. they do chase all of their staff out of the steel and concrete buildings and out into the street any time there is an "alarm" ....

silver-eagle said:
The Coasties do this from an HH60 during drug interdiction. The plan is also to do this in the ADIZ.

I'm thinking anti vehicle. Round through the engine block kinda stuff. You'd want a higher rate of fire weapon for shooting down errant light aircraft. Maybe .50 cal machine gun or one of the now thousands of surplus m-60 machine guns from the recent DOD switch to the 240. They also may be trainng snipers to deploy to roof tops at a moments notice. Ie, the co-pilot's a trained sniper, keep the barret in the back of the helo, deploy co-pilot on a roof top where needed almost immediatly. Lots of tactical possibilities far more likely than shootin' down my Mooney by firing the barret out of the helo:)

Back