NYC / Hudson River Tour

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Does anyone know the procedure for the Hudson River Canyon tour ( the low level flight up the hudson by NYC)? I'm thinking of doing it Sunday evening with a friend. If we do it well be flying in from the Philly area

:blueplane:

AdamZ said:
Does anyone know the procedure for the Hudson River Canyon tour ( the low level flight up the hudson by NYC)? I'm thinking of doing it Sunday evening with a friend. If we do it well be flying in from the Philly area

:blueplane:

Stay below 1100 ft & self announce on 123.05 is all you really need to know. stay on the NY side northbound & Jersey side south. Early Sunday morning is the least traffic & you can get ATC to give you a clearance to go higher sometimes (especially Sunday morning) Sunday evening should also be good.

Self announce is not mandatory, but is smart to do.

The calls go like this.... Cessna northbound, governor's island, 1000 ft, NY side.

Points to call .............. northbound..........
Ver Nar bridge, Governor's Island, Ground Zero,Holland tunnel,Lincoln tunnel,Intrepid,79st boat basin,GW bridge...................... After you pass the GW is a good place to turn around, announce the
u-turn...................................

South all calls are the same but add Colgate clock instead of Ground zero & "the Lady" instead of governors Island.

Bring a camera & someone to use it.

Watch out for the copters, they think they own the place. Be carful by the "Lady" lots of traffic @ 500 ft

just behind the lady is 500 ft class "B" so don't try to circle her unless you are talking to EWR tower.

Last edited:
I was new to the area and too chicken to fly it below 1100 feet... so I called up New York Approach and asked for a Bravo transition along the river. The call-up sounded something like "Request class Bravo transition Hudson River southbound 2000 feet". They asked me some questions (type aircraft, destination, etc.) and then gave me a squawk and assigned me 2500 feet. It was very easy--they're very friendly.

Either way, study the chart as closely as you can in advance of the flight. Know where all the little Bravo boundaries are. It's a great flight!

--Kath

There is a CFI, In fact CFI of the year in 2004, that has just produced a DVD on flying the corridor. Give him a call. He also does FAA safety lectures on the topic. He's also one hell of a nice guy. Doug Stewart
http://www.dsflight.com/

Last edited:
Back