NYC flying (Hudson & East River)

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Has anyone recently flown either the Hudson River exclusion or the East River exclusion? The course at FaaSafety.gov does a good job of describing the Hudson River between 1,000 ft and 1,300 ft, but the skyline route and the East River weren’t covered as well. What are the chances or actually getting an ATC clearance over the Hudson? What about the East River? I was planning on going during the week because I assume there will be less traffic during then.

I am based at CHO, so I am use to the SFRA around DC, but this will be my first time in the NCY area and would appreciate any tip or suggestions from pilots who have done this before.

Getting an ATC clearance for the skyline route is pretty straightforward. I've never had a problem getting one. You just need to call EWR or LGA tower depending on which direction you are headed. I will usually take the skyline route and fly it at 2000. They've always been very helpful.

In terms of the East River, I've only done that once (you must have ATC clearance). After a friend recommended it, I flew the southbound skyline route and then asked LGA tower to overfly Central Park and proceed down the East River to the Statue of Liberty. We then came back northbound over the Hudson. Needless to say, my passengers loved going all the way around Manhattan.

For summary of the basics for the area:
https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2009/Nov/38619/kneeboard.pdf

Check out this thread on LiveATC: http://www.liveatc.net/forums/pilot...ing-thru-ny-class-b-from-kfrg-to-hudson-sfra/

It's about flying OVER the exclusion, not through it... not much difference in terms of scenery when at 2000' as opposed to 1000', but you're provided separation. I flew it recently and posted about it:

Well, I flew it today, and had a great time! Extreme clear conditions, and a little bumpy. Departed KFRG runway 32, left downwind to the south shore. From there, I contacted JFK Tower 125.25 and requested South Shore at 500, VZ climb to 2000, Hudson, Central Park, Throgs, checkout eastbound. I was told to proceed as requested, and got clearance to climb to 2000 and enter Class B airspace just after passing west of JFK. I was handed off to EWR tower, and went over the south tip of Governor's Island and on up the Hudson. After passing the Lincoln Tunnel, I was handed from EWR to LGA tower. LGA told me Unable to proceed to Throgs, so I remained on the Hudson and didn't cross Central Park. Just north of the GW Bridge, I asked for and got a course reversal to return to KFRG the same way I came. LGA handed me back to EWR, and EWR passed me back to JFK south of the VZ Bridge. I checked out near the Jones Beach monument and climbed to 1500'. FRG tower set me up following the inner shoreline for left base to 32. Total time 1.5h with runup and taxi, cruising around 100kts.

I had the Helicopter Chart with me which gave me a lot more confidence following the routes and being flexible if I was given a different routing. Also, from listening to LGA and JFK tower quite a bit I was familiar with the VFR callups for Class B routing, so I was a lot more comfortable with making my request. All in all, it was much easier than I thought it would be and really enjoyed it.

Kent, and I did the Hudson River in the 182 this summer after flying to Wings. We ended up asking for a clearance at 2000', and the controllers were great. As mentioned before, keep your head on a swivel as there are a crap ton of tour helicopters in the area. It's a pretty flight, and suprisingly hassle free. As an added bonus, now that the Yankees are done for the season you don't have to worry about that Stadium TFR :-D

Also buy the NYC TAC chart. It has all of the procedures, and routes outlined in a very nice format. Skyvector also has them available online.

I've flown the route a few dozen times and have found it to be extremely easy and enjoyable if you are well prepared. I have always flown it above the exclusion (in the Bravo airspace) since it guarantees traffic separation and just makes things simply a lot easier. Even though controllers are required to separate you from other traffic, keep in mind that you are still responsible to see and avoid other aircraft and that the exclusion may only be 200 feet below you and ATC has no control over that traffic.

What frequency to call and request a Bravo clearance on depends on where you're coming from but it is relatively simple. After the exclusion became regulatory and the "Skyline Route" name was created, I haven't had a single controller understand what "Skyline Route" meant so I have and continue to request "Hudson north in the Bravo" or "Hudson south in the Bravo."

If you're approaching from the north, try NOBBI sector on 126.40 or HAARP sector on 120.80 and request hudson southbound. If you call over or near the TZ (tappanzee bridge), try 126.4 first unless it's after 8 or 9pm which is usually when they combine positions.

You'll likely receive a Bravo clearance at 1,500 or 2,000 ft. down the hudson if you ask nicely and they'll hand you off to LGA TCA on 126.05 until just south of the GWB. (As a side note, the frequency charted on the NY TAC for LGA TCA from the north is incorrect.) At that point, they ship you off to EWR TCA on 127.85 who will probably ask you what your intentions are after reaching the Verrazano bridge. You can either request a 180 and head back up the river, depart to the west, or depart to the east and descend below the bravo (south shore) just south of JFK at 500 ft. They will coordinate your handoff either to JFK or back to NY TRACON depending on your request.

If you're arriving from the south, just reverse everything above pretty much, otherwise it's the same.

As stated in the online training, use all of your lights, do not exceed 140 kts, etc. I won't summarize that material, but if you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you request a Bravo clearance and your phraseology is good and it doesn't take more than 5 or 6 seconds to spit out, you'll probably get a clearance unless an unusual runway configuration is in use or some sort of other special procedure or condition is in effect.

The only time I had a tough time getting a Bravo clearance was one day this past May when the Yankee stadium TFR was in effect. Even then, the EWR TCA controller was kind enough to coordinate a transition through Teterboro's delta airspace to keep me outside the TFR.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jason

Last edited:
The only time I had a tough time getting a Bravo clearance was one day this past May when the Yankee stadium TFR was in effect. Even then, the EWR TCA controller was kind enough to coordinate a transition through Teterboro's delta airspace to keep me outside the TFR.

That's what Pete and I got too - 1500 in the Bravo northbound, and just shy of the GWB a turn to the northwest and a handoff to Teterboro Tower.

Those guys have some busy, complex airspace but their execution and level of service is fantastic! (Chicago, take note...)

For the Hudson River...
The East River is no longer an option. If you want to know why, see http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20061018X01530&key=1.

Negative Ron: You can get the East River northbound if LGA is using 4/22 and you set up the request as part of your comms with EWR tower on the way down to the bridge. After you turn around south of the VZ bridge EWR will hand you off a bit earlier to LGA, just south of Governors Island. LGA will put you in the East River on request with one of 2 exit routes: Following the East River northbound into the Harlem River, fly over Yankee Stadium and out at Spuyten Dyvel (sp?) out to the Hudson or, my favorite, request that you cross westbound at Roosevelt Island over Central Park, to the Hudson, now that's an amazing sight to behold Mid-Town Manhattan just off your left wing!

Oh and for the record, flying the corridor is alot more organized and safer than it used to be, the controllers handle you extremely well, and if the traffic is not too busy, will give you plenty of latitude to work with. It's one of my all time favorite flights of them all.

Last edited:
Just took this awesome flight this morning from Farmingdale via West Chester Co. class D out to the Tappan Zee then via the skyline route southbound at 2000. La Guardia handed me off to Newark just prior to the Statue, then I made a u-turn south of the VZ. Over Govenors Island, Newark handed me back to LaGuardia who cleared me up the East river at 1500 then West over the 59th st. bridge, over central park and back out to the hudson! AWESOME is an understatement!
right around the Williamsburg bridge @1500 it got really bumpy.:hairraise:
at one point, I thought I'd need both hands on the yoke...but I never did. :rofl:

Back