NYC class bravo student pilot

BitStream89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BitStream89
How difficult will it be to train in class bravo airspace?

Thanks

I trained Under Class B.
It was not too bad. You have to be aware of it at all times.

I fly out of FRG, you just need to be aware of you position at all times. Using flight following makes it easier in my opinion

Thanks

Currently training in class b at Honolulu. Personally I'm a huge fan of ATC doing all the work for me. Leaves me time to do other stuff like windexing the windscreen and updating my phone contacts.

If you're in the NYC area, there really aren't any training airports actually in the Bravo airspace. There are four under the outer ring, but the B-space doesn't really affect training there directly. Linden is under the inner ring, but there aren't any fixed-wing flight schools there, just a couple of flying clubs. So, it's not really an issue for you.

That said, several flight schools have operated successfully at Baltimore-Washington International (KBWI) over the years, and while there's a bit more to learn, and limitations on what you can do there, it's not a major impediment. The biggest issue there is that they have to spend more flying time to get the same amount of training because you have to drone back and forth to the Eastern Shore to get to a good training area.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be training "in" the class bravo but around and below it.

Relative to say training at a small uncontrolled airport in the middle of nowhere there will be a steep learning curve on radio communication skills and one needs to be comfortable with a lot of traffic around. Around the NYC bravo it's not uncommon to have 6+ planes in the pattern and a stream of 747s passing over you above in the class B and a Coast Guard helicopter passing below you.

In the end this all makes one a much better pilot. Its a bit like jumping into the aviation deep end and if you have a good CFI will be a lot of fun.

Dive right in the more experience you get around the Bravo ,the better.

You'll learn a lot from training in busy airspace and it will help you become a better pilot

My wife learned to fly at IAD. Her radio work is real good (though she was a Advanced Class ham radio operator before she got started). Of course that didn't mean that either her or her instructor could figure out why the EMI VOR wasn't working properly. After watching them for a few minutes I had to point out the identifier that they had blaring over the speaker was sending TEST.

I learned to fly out of KCDW and spent a bunch of time in the bravo, wasn't bad at all.

Back in the '70s and '80's I instructed primary students out of STL. We had a flying club based there. Things were more GA friendly back then.
Prior to that I instructed at 1H0.
The Creve Coeur students always feared going into STL initially, and the STL students were nervous going into uncontrolled fields!
Both were comfortable in both scenarios before it was all over.

I believe both Morristown and Caldwell have flight schools. They are both under the NY class B space on the NJ side of things. Not sure about the areas which fall in NY and CT. Both of those are class D space themselves. I fly out of Robbinsville (N87). We are not in the NY space, but are very close to it (lets hear it for Robbinsville VOR one of the busiest in the world). I have flown through NY space, and for me at least the towers were very nice.

Like others have said you wouldn't be training in the Bravo during your lessons, you would be below it or around it. You would just want to be aware of it when your flying near it.

Ain't the end of the world.

Though as a working pilot, that airspace is my least favorite out of the 4 countries I've flown in.

Back