NYC area

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I'll be in NYC for business and have Jan 9-11 mostly available. Any suggestions for something better than an Intro flight for the Hudson River tour and other interesting sights from the air? And a place to rent an airplane and CFI who knows the ropes, too.

$500 for 2 hours. They're a Cirrus shop. Of course they're the most expensive. My ticket to Hamilton is cheaper.

Long Island aviators our of FRG, they have archers, Cessna.

Weather has been dreary in NY this winter. I don't mean that to be negative, but to suggest having alternative stuff to do in case the weather is crappy. Intrepid tour is one I'd do.

Weather has been dreary in NY this winter. I don't mean that to be negative, but to suggest having alternative stuff to do in case the weather is crappy. Intrepid tour is one I'd do.
Did that last trip. Probably do it again. But the Statue trip goes along with my flight ove the Olympic venue when I was in Sydney, and the Falls tour a few years ago when I took my 82 yo aunt for the ride.

From NYC, it will be much easier to get to KCDW. There are multiple fight schools that will do flight tours.

From NYC, it will be much easier to get to KCDW.

Curious how it could be much easier to travel from NYC to CDW, than FRG.
By public transport, car, or … ?

No car, I'm limited to train/bus/cab/uber.

But after pricing a number of options, everything is in the $350-500 category. I've decided to spend the money in town and forget the flight. Daytime: Billy Rose Theatre Collection (of the NYC Public Library), the Paley Center, Intrepid (again if the weather's nice).

Evenings (I've got 3 free) See who's playing at Feinstein's (altho those are expensive tickets but the bar is usually $75 or so), and of course Birdland and the Blue Note.

Last edited:

By public transport, NJ Transit buses run from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC to the Willowbrook mall which is about a mile from CDW. I think the bus is about $15 each way. Some flight schools at CDW will pick up from the bus stop and bring students or pilots to the airport. If they are not available for pick up, it's a short Uber ride.

By car, it's less than a 30 minute drive from midtown Manhattan to CDW (depending on time of day and traffic).

Jewish Delis I’ve had the best pastrami sandwiches there but keep your head on a swivel you’re basically in a zoo

Jewish Delis I’ve had the best pastrami sandwiches there but keep your head on a swivel you’re basically in a zoo
Roxie's is my go-to in the theatre district.

we like Russ and Daughters when we’re in the city.

Back