NY Food question

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Are H&H bagels any good?

Searching for a good bagel in the Midwest is like a looking for good pizza in NY, can't be found. I am tired of making my own and was thinking of order a bunch for NYC for an upcoming gathering. H&H will next air me my order. But if they are basically the same as I can get anywhere I'll pass.

Marx bagels in Cincinnati are really good. Just picked some up last week.

I don't know if they ship (kinda doubt it) but for my money Ess-a-Bagel on 21st and 1st in Manhattan are the bagels you want.

-Skip

H&H makesproperNY-stylebagels, if that's what you're looking for... as good as any I've had in the Big Apple. They've been at it a long time; very popular in NYC.
Not sure what shape they'll be in when they arrive, but if they're anything like what you get when you walk in there, you should be happy with them.

As for the slight against NYC pizza: the problem isn't that there's no good (NYC-style) pizza; the problem is the overabundance of bad pizza. :D

H&H makesproperNY-stylebagels, if that's what you're looking for... as good as any I've had in the Big Apple. They've been at it a long time; very popular in NYC.
Not sure what shape they'll be in when they arrive, but if they're anything like what you get when you walk in there, you should be happy with them.
they state that if you get your order in by 4pm EST they will be next day aired to you. I can't imagine them going bad that quickly and I sure that they are sealed in plastic.

As for the slight against NYC pizza: the problem isn't that there's no good (NYC-style) pizza; the problem is the overabundance of bad pizza. :D
So much bad NY Pizza in fact that good NY Pizza is a myth ;)

Funny thing. In my town a new pizza shop opened selling NY style pizza and the owner is a real NYer. I went and bought a pie weekend before last (mushroom and anchovy) and talked to the owner. He said things have been slow and people keep asking him to make the crust thinner and crunchier, cut the pie in squares instead of slices, etc. IOW turn it into Chicago thin crust style.

The pizza was ok, his sauce is one of the best around. But CHICAGO PIZZA STILL RULES! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i thought that even when pizza was bad it was good

But CHICAGO PIZZA STILL RULES! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now, look here... the problem is that if you are used to excellent deep-dish pie, such as one might find in Chicago, it's just hard to get used to the idea of good thin-crust pie. But I have never had a "Sicilian" slice in NYC that could hold a candle to Malnati's; I'll readily admit that. I won't claim NY pizza is best, but there is some very good pizza to be found there. comparing it to Chicago is unfair; it's a different dining experience.

Next time you're in NYC, go here; it might make you a believer. Crispy but chewy, not greasy, excellent toppings and sauce.

http://bleeckerstreetpizza.com/

And after two or three slices with toppings, get a plain one on the way out, fold it in half, and eat it while you walk down the street. That is how to best enjoy good NYC pizza. :D

I gave up arguing with Scott about Pizza. I will merely have to treat him to pizza at Lenny's the next time he's around. It's a near-religious experience that I doubt his denial will be able to withstand. :yes:

-Rich

Now, look here... the problem is that if you are used to excellent deep-dish pie, such as one might find in Chicago, it's just hard to get used to the idea of good thin-crust pie. But I have never had a "Sicilian" slice in NYC that could hold a candle to Malnati's; I'll readily admit that. I won't claim NY pizza is best, but there is some very good pizza to be found there. comparing it to Chicago is unfair; it's a different dining experience.

Next time you're in NYC, go here; it might make you a believer. Crispy but chewy, not greasy, excellent toppings and sauce.

And after two or three slices with toppings, get a plain one on the way out, fold it in half, and eat it while you walk down the street. That is how to best enjoy good NYC pizza. :D

Hell's Kitchen Pizza is also good in NY. I lived 36 years in Chicago and never did take to Chicago Style pizza.

I gave up arguing with Scott about Pizza. I will merely have to treat him to pizza at Lenny's the next time he's around. It's a near-religious experience that I doubt his denial will be able to withstand. :yes:

-Rich
So I win? Chicago Pizza is the best!!!! :D:D:D

You have a Nancy's with your name on it if you visit here! :thumbsup:

Chicago has a really good thin crust too. Different than NY Pizza and every bite is delicious.

My wife (who grew up in Central NJ) and I have this theory that the reason the bread in the NYC area is better than anyplace else on the planet is the exact chemical content of the public water there. The NYC public is great mineral water. I've even gone so far as trying to duplicate (unsuccessfully) that water in our own home with our well/water treatment system. Great water + italians = great bread.

There is such a thing as bad pizza, but it takes a lot to ruin. Chicago and New York Pizza are like the difference between you on top or her on top. Different, but either way it's good.

Don't bother with shipping bagels. A good NYC bagel is fresh when you buy it from the shop in the morning and useful as a thrown weapon by evening.

There is such a thing as bad pizza, but it takes a lot to ruin. Chicago and New York Pizza are like the difference between you on top or her on top. Different, but either way it's good.
I agree with this, but it's so fun yanking Scott's chain on this subject. He'll always respond.

Actually, day-old bagels can be used for bagel pizzas. The sauce and tomato sauce softens them up again.

My wife (who grew up in Central NJ) and I have this theory that the reason the bread in the NYC area is better than anyplace else on the planet is the exact chemical content of the public water there. The NYC public is great mineral water. I've even gone so far as trying to duplicate (unsuccessfully) that water in our own home with our well/water treatment system. Great water + italians = great bread.

You got it! Thats the key. My uncle ran a bagel shop in Brooklyn (and you BETTER make great bagels in Brooklyn, or you're outta business quickly) for 16 years. I spent alot of time working there-oh man a bagel right out of the oven, I mean too hot to hold even, is so good!-He moved the shop to LI and installed the same equipment in the new shop, and the freekin bagels just were not the same. It is the water.

I'm surprised that there are no good bagels in Chicago. God only knows what kind of ridicule I'm opening myself up for but I've eaten good bagels in Los Angeles.

I'm still not sure how much the unique taste of New York water is "the best" vs "the way I think things should taste".

Oh and to get the pizza tempest in a tea pot going: I heard a rumor catsup has been found in the sauce of some Chicago pizzarias.

Joe

I'm surprised that there are no good bagels in Chicago. God only knows what kind of ridicule I'm opening myself up for but I've eaten good bagels in Los Angeles.
There are a couple, but I do not feel like driving over to Skokie to get bagels. Mostly in this area we have the Midwest grocery store bagel. These are bread that is steamed, cooked and frozen. Not a real bagel.

Oh and to get the pizza tempest in a tea pot going: I heard a rumor catsup has been found in the sauce of some Chicago pizzarias.

Joe
LIES! Mostly likely started from NYers who, after having Chicago Pizza, realized what they were missing but are in denial about their own poor excuse for pizza.

Scott would rather eat another deer penis than to eat NY pizza. Or ketchup. ;)

There are a couple, but I do not feel like driving over to Skokie to get bagels. Mostly in this area we have the Midwest grocery store bagel. These are bread that is steamed, cooked and frozen. Not a real bagel.

Like, say, Lender's Bagels? :vomit:

I do really like Bagels Forever and it appears they ship. There are a few grocery stores that carry them, but they never seem as good from the grocery store - And I don't remember who's got them! I prefer to go directly to the source.

LIES! Mostly likely started from NYers who, after having Chicago Pizza, realized what they were missing but are in denial about their own poor excuse for pizza.

Well c'mon Scott, if you don't use ketchup on hot dogs, it's gotta go SOMEWHERE, right? :D

Scott would rather eat another deer penis than to eat NY pizza. Or ketchup. ;)
I don't dislike ketchup. It just does not belong on a hotdog. Honesty it could have improved the flavor of deer penis.

I do really like Bagels Forever and it appears they ship. There are a few grocery stores that carry them, but they never seem as good from the grocery store - And I don't remember who's got them! I prefer to go directly to the source.
Never heard of them. ARe they a Midwest bagel?

Well c'mon Scott, if you don't use ketchup on hot dogs, it's gotta go SOMEWHERE, right? :D
As I said I do not dislike ketchup. It just does not belong on a hot dog.

Never heard of them. ARe they a Midwest bagel?

Well, technically yes, because they're here. But their bagels are WAY better than your average Midwest grocery store bagel.

Remind me next time we're going to be at the same point in time and space and I'll bring you some.

As I said I do not dislike ketchup. It just does not belong on a hot dog.

Or pizza. :vomit:

I've heard that New York Bagels & Bialys are good. It looks like they are located in both Skokie and Lincolnwood.

I've heard that New York Bagels & Bialys are good. It looks like they are located in both Skokie and Lincolnwood.
They are good. That is my 'local' place to go get them. But with traffic and slow roads it is almost an hour each way for me to travel. That is why I was looking for mail order.

I'm still not sure how much the unique taste of New York water is "the best" vs "the way I think things should taste".

I'm not sure it's "the best" or tastes the best though it's not bad. I just think it's the secret ingredient in the world's best bread. I like the way my hair feels after a shower there too but that's probably sharing a bit too much and a skosh off topic :)

Pizza is pizza.

Pie is pie.

One is a meal.

One is a dessert.

N'er the twain shall meet!!! :incazzato:

I'm not sure it's "the best" or tastes the best though it's not bad. I just think it's the secret ingredient in the world's best bread. I like the way my hair feels after a shower there too but that's probably sharing a bit too much and a skosh off topic :)

We definitely do have good water. It's one of the things the City does well. (Actually, the City government does most of the truly important things very well nowadays.)

An exception to the usually good-tasting water is that for a few days after a very heavy rain (up where the reservoirs are, not here), they have to add extra chlorine because the "turbidity" (basically, cloudiness) exceeds a certain level. When that happens, they increase the chlorination a bit.

Nothing a cheap, tap-mounted water filter can't handle, though. On more ordinary days, I find it better to flip up the filter and drink the water as-is, because the filter seems to remove some of the minerals that give it its good flavor -- and which may indeed be the secret behind the fact that New York City is the undisputed home of the world's best bagels, bread, and pizza. :thumbsup:

Our water may also explain why our push-cart hot dogs are better than anyone else's, now that I think about it... :yes:

-Rich

Our water may also explain why our push-cart hot dogs are better than anyone else's, now that I think about it... :yes:
Vancouver, BC has really good push cart smoked sausages (smokeys). Instead of boiled tube steaks they grill their hot dogs and sausages. Really good stuff too. Chicago, I think owing to the fact that they have the best style of hot dog, does not seem to go the push cart route. Walk up counters are the preferred serving venue.

You got it! Thats the key. My uncle ran a bagel shop in Brooklyn (and you BETTER make great bagels in Brooklyn, or you're outta business quickly) for 16 years. I spent alot of time working there-oh man a bagel right out of the oven, I mean too hot to hold even, is so good!-He moved the shop to LI and installed the same equipment in the new shop, and the freekin bagels just were not the same. It is the water.

Looks like you are both right:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/a-florida-battle-over-brooklynized-water

-Rich

Back